Thread: Ducks, Fall moon ,Caribou & ect.

Default Ducks, Fall moon ,Caribou & ect.

The Moon was looking good enough to take a picture of, so I did.
    We also had such clear skys, it frosted thickly last night as well.

Fall time IS here......lower temps, mild days and clear nights...gotta work up some fish now too, as insects are dying off ...Yeee Hawww.....
    Every thing is yellowish redish green, so my red hooded sweater and my Packers jacket are hard to beat as camoflauge ,today, in the Arctic.
    We are getting ready for a few days out, after memeorial day madness flows down the Kobuk....This is the time when Caribou will bunch up and the lead herds of Cows followed by Bulls will begin the migration along ridges that lead to rivers and thats where we harvest them.
    We wait untill we spot a well trod path and if theres females crossing ,or just a few Bulls, we let them pass. We always let the first one establish a trail, so the ones following will cross exactly where we can expect them.
    I take away all advantage and shoot them in the river with a .22lr to the back of the head.
    Leagal and ethical, it piths them, you get no sick of wounded, no suffering, no bleeding out.......you have a very good look and see that they are fat and healthy and you put the bullet into the individuals head and it wont pass through and wound or ricochet. Caribou travle and cross rivers in bunches, so not shooting all the way through the head is important.
    Its subsitance meat hunting for 15 in our house and many others in the community, theres no sport involved in getting people fed.
    Sooo , we want Meat at its best.
    Fat Bulls will have the butt higher than the tail as the fats grow between the skin and the meat, as insulation. a few good wrinkles when the tail is up....This can make a Big bulls butt look wide and the tail low to the back. Rolling hips are a good sign and a fat Bull is a real prize
    Nothing is wasted, no meat at all. Intestines get fat and meat packed for home made sausages. internal organs are saved as they are prime at that time of year. The Antlers will be dry and hard.
    The antlers make good carving material, the hides make good bedding, tent floors, sleeping bags and such. Best in the winter camping bedding in the Arctic.
    After popping them in the head we take them to a rocky or preferably grassy bank to work them, avoiding sand.
    I'll wait untill the puddles are frozen all day and then spend a week getting carcasses hung up, 5 a day, skin on hunting them in the early morning and doing them a good work over by days end.In the crisp air, they freeze slowly, and make a great feed through the freeze up when travling is restricted due to thin ice and little snow cover on the tundra.
    With the latest frosts, we have changed over from Blue berrys to Cranberrys and black berrys along the sandy coast. These woman will pick untill the snow covers them too much, and keep the berrys frozen untill we use them.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The bro in law with us went out last night and came home this morning with 15 ducks.
    This time of year the young and dumb Ducks try to follow an adult, and when you knock them down , the others will circle back to their Doom.....Boom, Boom, Boom...

Plucked when they are shot and hot, the feathers pull easily leaving the skin intact and the fat layer below makes the meat juicy. Birds with split skin leak and get dry....
    So the oldest daughter gutted and cleaned/chopped said duks into dinner Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

With the Youngest daughters full approval greasy smile and flashing knife.....all was well.

I made a tea with 4 cups cranberrys, 1 cup sugar, and 1-1/2 gallons water boiled and stirred with the berrys getting squashed with the stirr'er
    Salt and pepper made it just fine
    Theres that chill in the air...Northern lights should be out soon, as well....

Thumbs up

All I can say is God Bless you and your family.

i really do enjoy your posts, I hope you never stop with them.

Keep up the good work - your views give us a different look at the world.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy you and your family's perspective.

Smile wow!

Yup, fall is the big harvest time and you are doing what has been done in Alaska for many years. My wife and I are wondering if you have a guest room big enough for 6. We need to bring the grandkids. Just kidding.

Were gonna be doing a hunt that has been on since the last IceAge thas quite some time, eh??

Were just the latest........

Fixx'd the little 15 hrs, so I'm able to cross the river and set net now...that really helps

Weve Actually been slacking a few days, working on painting and revamping our little house into an art studio for projects and sewing. Too rainy latly to dry much, and the freezers full, but clear weather will fix both the freezing of carcasse's and the rain will go away and we'll put uop alot of salmon, starting tomarrow...I'll have to figure a place to post such.

Tonight was Caribou, Caribou stirfry with rice and cranberry tea......Good stuff.

stranger your turn of phrase is wonderful. So brief yet so rich

Please keep sharing

Default Veggies

We are putting up beans and tomatoes yesterday and today, corn last week. Pickles as they come ready.

Got me to thinking Stranger, what do you all do for veggies in your diet? Do you plant a garden?

Wish I was there helping, learning your ways. Keep the stories and pictures coming.

Hey, Plwilli,
    we pick from out "Tundra garden" as the wife calls it, a variety of greens, berrys, teas, roots, sprouts and shoots.
    Sometimes salads, sometimes in the soup, sometimes on the side with butter and salt.
    By th epound and by the ton they are gather'd and stored.
    Though the season is breif, theres much, very much out here and the ladys will be at it untill the snow covers the last of 'em.
    In the Spring, when the snow cover is melting, frozen "Last years " berrys will appear in the pancakes and tea when we are on the land again.

Stuff Like this;