Thread: Hunting in the YTA

Default Hunting in the YTA

I just returned to Alaska and have learned that I need to take a safety class at Eielson in order to hunt the YTA. Does anyone no if it only applies to big game or is it for all recreation? Thanks for any info.

If you need a safety class that must be new this year, or I've been hunting illegally I guess. You have to get a pass to hunt on post and I was never asked about taking a safety class when they gave me the pass. If you are talking about hunter's ed it depends on how old you are.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I never heard of the class either. Just get a Recreation permit from the visitors center at Fort Wainwright. It will give you a number to call in when you use the YTA so they know where you are and also it will tell you which areas cannot be used due to the Army playing out there.

My understanding of the rule is that you have to have the hunters ed class regardless of age, the get a recreation permit. The first time I needed it was when i was researching for a trip back in 2004. You did not need it in '97. Luckily I had had a class as a kid in the 70's and was able to get the card, the State of Michigan still had the records. AKhunterNP I think you are right, technically you do not have what you should.

Default Here's the deal...

To hunt YTA, you must have taken Hunter Ed, regardless of age. You also must get the Recreation Access Permit from the Ft Wainwright visitor center.

Where the class at Eielson comes into play is if you plan to hunt or fish on Eielson AFB itself. The class does not apply to YTA.

Ok its Eilson only! I have the rec pass so I should be good. Thanks for the info.

Default permits

Eielson & FTWW honor each others permits. each has a # assigned so they know who is out there. been checked several times. yes hunters safety is required to carry a weapon on military land. do you need a permit to fish? yes. do you need a permit to pick berries, yes. when i call to check in, i do it for 9 days, that way i dont have to call in every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Infoseeker View Post
    My understanding of the rule is that you have to have the hunters ed class regardless of age, the get a recreation permit. The first time I needed it was when i was researching for a trip back in 2004. You did not need it in '97. Luckily I had had a class as a kid in the 70's and was able to get the card, the State of Michigan still had the records. AKhunterNP I think you are right, technically you do not have what you should.
    Check out this link to answer all your questions. This is the 2009 revised edition (first link), the second link is the FWA Outdoor Rec website.
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...r_Rec_Regs.pdf
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservation/REC_FWA.htm

HUNTING ON US ARMY LANDS
    • Read the current “Alaska Hunting Regulations” booklet before hunting anywhere
    in the State of Alaska. Visiting ADFG offices in Fairbanks or Delta Junction is strongly
    recommended before hunting. This supplement is not meant to take the place of a full
    review of hunting, trapping, or fishing regulations.
    GMU 20 hunters 16 years of age or older, and were born after January 1, 1986,
    must successfully complete a Basic Hunter Education Course before you hunt.
    • While hunting or in possession of firearms, persons under 16 years of age, must be
    under the direct and visual supervision of their parent(s) or an adult 21 years of age
    or older, who is currently authorized to recreate on USAG Alaska lands and in full
    compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine