Thread: Cartridge Mis-match: .308 in .300 magnum

Default Cartridge Mis-match: .308 in .300 magnum

Picked up some brass laying around at the range yesterday and didn't pay much attention to get until I got home and sorted through it.

A couple of real odd straight cases turned out to be .308 rounds that had apparently been fired in a .300 magnum. There was no neck left at all and the cases were severely expanded out to magnum case dimensions. One case was missing the primer and the other indicated about normal pressure for a .308. Fortunately the brass just expanded and didn't split and dump a lot of gas in the shooters face.

I've picked up quite a few mis-matches over the years but this has to be one of the most dangerous! I guess it pays to look around you and see what the guy on the next bench over is shooting.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I wouldn’t guess that it would even be possible with that much headspace to “luck out” and have the firing pin actually make contact with the primer….. you would think that a .308 would just slide down the camber of a 30-06, 300 win mag or other similar cartridge, however I suppose those super duper controlled round feeding guns that everyone loves so much, could conceivably hold the cartridge against the bolt face…
    Another example of why push feeds rule!!
    Just kidding of course!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Step dad shot a 270 win in a 7mm rem mag. Was shooting at a deer and had my uncle hand him a round to put in his unloaded gun. Didn't hurt any of the mechanical parts of the gun, but it split the stock under the barrel. Not sure how that happened. The gun shot 7mm rounds fine afterward. Didn't hit the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I wouldn’t guess that it would even be possible with that much headspace to “luck out” and have the firing pin actually make contact with the primer….. you would think that a .308 would just slide down the camber of a 30-06, 300 win mag or other similar cartridge, however I suppose those super duper controlled round feeding guns that everyone loves so much, could conceivably hold the cartridge against the bolt face…
    Just kidding of course!
    I am also surprised with a 300 belted mag, but a 308 will fire every time in a 30-06 due to the almost matching case taper. When they designed the 308/7.62 NATO that was one of the things they took into account in case they ever had both on the battle field at the same time. Military even used to have buttons that would convert a 06 to 308 and be remover with a broken shell extractor to go back to 06 as needed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I found a 45 auto case at the range a while back. It was split just forward of the case head and expanded out in a ring about the size and shape of the locking lugs, then it was back down to normal size. Since there is no way the case could have been removed from the action in one piece I can only assume that the action came apart. It must have been fired in a semi auto and slam fired or some idiot hit the end of the firing pin. I will try to find it and post a picture.

I have a split 270 win case on my workbench that I fished out of a chamber. Seems that some guy thought that the 270 win and 270 weatherby were interchangable. The case almost expanded to proper dimensions before it split right at the shoulder.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

308 in 30-06, I kin unnerstan, but I wouldn't have thought that a 308 would fire in a 300 Magnum chamber either.

OR, a 270 inna 270 Webby, so if it do, it's good to know.

The bullet must hold the case back next to the firing pin, or sumpthin.

Anyhoo, I spect we all should check the fit of the cartridges we've got in the chambers of the others we've got, so we'd know what to watch for. I think that them 308s must be reely dangerous, since they fit in a lot of wrong places.

I already know that my 7mm Wbys won't fit 7mm Rem Mag. and vise versa, but I could have some other situations, I haven't tried.

I have a cupla 300 Win Mag. cases that were obviously fired in a 300 Weatherby, that I picked from the ground at Birchwood. Since the caliber was the same, and the case headspaces on the belt, I spose that wasn't real dangerous. So, I reckon my story isn't as exciting.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had friend of mine take another guy shooting and they had, amongst other things, a .30-06 and a .338 win mag.

Well, The guy mashed a .30-06 round into the .338 while my buddy wasn't watching and tried to fire it. So he complains that the rifle wouldn't fire and my buddy pulls the bolt back and sees a struck primer with .30-06 stamped on the rim, so he locks the bolt forward and fires it.

Well, it fired and the gun was fine. After he pulled the case out and inspected it, he was that the side had a hole in it from about 1/2" to 1" from the rim, the rest of the case expanded to the size of a .338, except for the rim of course.
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

Thumbs down View ammo before loading

I was fortunate enough to learn this lesson by watching someone else.
    A guy was in a hurry at the range; lots of people sighting-in the day before elk season. He presented his brand new Ruger M77 in .300 Win Mag with new scope to match (tag still on both). His buddy had a tried-and-true Remington 760 in .30-06 and had encouraged him to get the .300... "for longer shots". Both guys bought fresh boxes of Remington Coe-Lokt ammo for their respective calibers and Mr. .30-06 went first hitting his target to confirm his scopes zero. Now Mr. .300 steps up to the bench, a linebacker's build, places his box of ammo right next to his buddies and comments that he is nervous about the "kick". Drawing a round from his box of ammo he loads and fires then immediately expresses his relief that the recoil wasn't bad at all. In his excitement to shoot it again he draws a round from the box of .30-06 ammo and slams the bolt shut as the onlookers glass down range for the impact of his shot. After he fires I say, "wow, that was a real flyer", just as the shooter begins gasping and complaining of a burn. As we all looked at him it was immediately obvious that he had fired the wrong cartridge in his gun. His face was covered with powder burns and the floorplate had been blown out of the gun. There was a crack in the stock extending from the rear of the opening in the receiver down through the pistol grip and the back pressure had forced the .30-06 cartridge all the way up into the barrell. Nobody was laughing. Mr. .300 began to blame everyone around him including me (I had never seen him before in my life) for "letting him" shoot the wrong ammo. He even went so far as to blame Remington for marking all of their ammo boxes in green and gold regardless of caliber (how dare they use their trademark colors!). Once he calmed down we explained to him that he was **** lucky to be alive and he should maybe take up tennis instead of hunting.
    The moral of the story is this: Even if, or ESPECIALLY if someone passes you a round of ammo for the gun you intend to shoot YOU ARE THE ONE PULLING THE TRIGGER! LOOK AT THE AMMO DUMBASS!
    I am amazed that you didn't find eyeballs or heads laying around on the ground at your range! Please be safe and inspect your ammo before you load your gun.

Default Fort Hood Tx

Once had a guy at the on post range ask if anyone else was shooting 7mm Rem-Mag. I was and when I asked him why........he said he couldn't get his bolt to close.
    He had just bought a 7X57 Mauser and trying to stuff a 7mm Rem-Mag into it! He is lucky it wasn't the other way around.

Default .303

Another popular mis-match is to shoot .303 Savage rounds in a .303 British rifle. I've got a few of those I picked up in the past in the lower 48.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Just kidding of course!
    Of course.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...