Thread: How would you hunt this area?

Default How would you hunt this area?

At the risk of revealing my "secret" spot, how would you hunt the area in the attached image?

• Red line = heavily used moose trail, lots of fresh tracks every day that weren't there the day before.
    • White lines = low use moose trails, but with 2- or 3-day old manure
    • Blue line = moderate use moose trail, some fresh tracks and some day-old manure yesterday and today.
    • The open area at C is riddled with tracks and bedding areas
    • At X (approximately), I've heard heavy crashing in the brush every afternoon.
    • The water is higher now than in the image; it's not safe to cross the slew anywhere right now.
    • I've taken moose at a and c in previous years on opening day.

I've been out there from before sunrise to after sunset the last four days, and sunrise until 7:30 tonight, and haven't laid eyes on a single moose. I'm just curious how others would hunt this area, and who knows, maybe I'll learn something too. I'll tell you how I've been hunting it, and my theory for why I haven't seen anything after I hear some other ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knowing which way the prevailing winds typically blow would be helpful but...assuming the winds are not out of the north...drawing a line from C to X, I'd hang a treestand where the C-X line meets the strip of trees along the slough. This lets you watch the entire bog meadow and you may even have a visual on the X spot across the slough.

I'd prepare to spend 1 whole day dark to dark in that tree. For nothing else than to observe movement patterns

If hanging a stand is not an option I'd still hunt that same spot given a SE or SW wind.

Default trail cam?

It was suggest that you put a treee stand and hang out. I would suggest a trail cam where you would put the stand. Let the cam work for a couple of days, and see what you end up with.

The wind is generally from the south-southeast during moose season. There are no trees large enough for a tree stand. It's pretty much bog with tussock and 6' to 8' black spruce. The strip of trees along the slew across from C are 12' to 15' spruce and willow, dense enough that you can't see past them unless you get right up in them. Still, you've got about the same idea I had.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    It was suggest that you put a treee stand and hang out. I would suggest a trail cam where you would put the stand. Let the cam work for a couple of days, and see what you end up with.
    That's an option I hadn't thought of.

Default trail cam

I think the Cuddy Cams are pretty reasonably priced, around 200? I have a Stealth Cam Prowler, which I paid about 330 landed in Fairbanks. Anyway, thats the range of pricing I am familiar with. I think you can spend a lot more, but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I think the Cuddy Cams are pretty reasonably priced, around 200? I have a Stealth Cam Prowler, which I paid about 330 landed in Fairbanks. Anyway, thats the range of pricing I am familiar with. I think you can spend a lot more, but to each his own.
    Wow, I didn't realize they were that expensive. Don't think I'll be going that route.

OK, I've been setting up a b and calling about a half hour before sunrise until 11:00-ish, then walking the trails very slowly for a couple hours, ending up near the road so I can bag a few grouse and drop them off at the truck, walking the trails again until about 3:00, then setting up in the strip of trees along the slew across from c. I can't see far enough across the slew to see the moose there, but I can tell by sound that there are moose moving in the evening.

Given the amount of sign here, I'm speculating that the full moon is a contributing factor. I think the moose are moving in the dead of night, but as the moon wanes and it's harder to see at night, there will be more activity at dusk and dawn. So, I'm giving it a couple days rest, just going to call in a quiet spot here on the farm, then hit it again early Tuesday morning.

My first thought is with all the sign and the lack of sightings, the moose are moving at night with the full moon and bedding around first light and taking it easy with the current heat wave. Give it a week and they will be closer to the rut, hopefully it will start cooling down and they'll be moving quite a bit more.

Good call on giving it a rest. I'd hate to blow them out of the area. I think you might have been over-calling if you were trying for 4-5 hours each morning. I think they've got your number.

Is this area on the side you are hunting accessable to 4-wheelers or ear shot of the road? They may have been pushed across the slough and are hanging out there.
    I'm thinking on the same frame of mind as you, that the critters have a full moon and cool temps at night and are moving then.
    I am also turning towards first light more.
    I quess with a SW wind I would give the red line junction a look as well.
    Great post, good luck.

Don't go out until 10:00am.

Around then, do a hard thrashing session at the northeast end of the clearing just below b, but in the trees. Thrash again after an hour, if nothing moves.

STAY THERE until he comes or dark, whichever is first.

NO grunts yet, just thrashing. NO cow calls.

Strip bark and snap small branches between calling sessions to sound like a moose.

If moose have been up all night, then they will bed in early a.m. to chew cud. It's a must. Around the time you've been leaving to go to the truck, your bull has been coming to your calling spot.

Just a theory...

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post

ear shot of the road?
    Hmmmmm, is that moose ear or human ear?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post
    At the risk of revealing my "secret" spot, how would you hunt the area in the attached image?

• Red line = heavily used moose trail, lots of fresh tracks every day that weren't there the day before.
    • White lines = low use moose trails, but with 2- or 3-day old manure
    • Blue line = moderate use moose trail, some fresh tracks and some day-old manure yesterday and today.
    • The open area at C is riddled with tracks and bedding areas
    • At X (approximately), I've heard heavy crashing in the brush every afternoon.
    • The water is higher now than in the image; it's not safe to cross the slew anywhere right now.
    • I've taken moose at a and c in previous years on opening day.
    I've been out there from before sunrise to after sunset the last four days, and sunrise until 7:30 tonight, and haven't laid eyes on a single moose. I'm just curious how others would hunt this area, and who knows, maybe I'll learn something too. I'll tell you how I've been hunting it, and my theory for why I haven't seen anything after I hear some other ideas.

swoop in with super cub air dropping 4 wheelers as i go... ...all the while spinkling... bags of corn along the trail... second pass would allow hunters to parachute down onto the waiting bikes then... circle endlessly over the one moose that lives there... until all 37 wheelers could converge on it and make short work of the hapless critter that chose that day to water...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here