Thread: Ivishak Bou Hunt

Default Ivishak Bou Hunt

Went to the Sag and Ivishak on a Bou hunt with three friends and had a blast. Put four down and made lots of memories. Phantom Sport Jon put us 40 miles up the river and did an awesome job. Came out with about 1200 pounds of gear and meat along with the 800 pounds of hunters. Water level was pretty good but there were some crazy moments like all Alaska hunts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Oh Yea.....

Thanks AK Nimrod and Jerod for the info and the help finding the cut on the way back.

Nice going man but we're gonna need to see a few more pics.

Sweet, glad you got on some bulls and made it up the river okay. It's a blast to run, isn't it? Congrats on your hunt and glad we could help out. We finally got AK Nimrod back up and running good. He scored on a small bull a couple days ago, and his son just missed a nice bull yesterday.

Congrats to all you fellas thats awesome.And I ahd to fix your picture as my neck got a crick in it looking sideways. I hope ya dont mind?

I meant to ask, how did you guys do on the gas? Did you end up needing to bring it all up there, or did I talk you in to dragging around a bunch of extra weight?

Default Gas

Great call Jerod. we used all 70 gallons and next year I will take more with a little less gear. Water was great the closer we got to the mountains. We got to about the 40 mile mark just before the mountains come together. We missed the cut over on the way back but AK Nimrod helped us out. Again, thanks for all the help and did I hear you got another brownie with a stick thrower?

Yea, I took a nice 6 footer just north of Ice Cut. Shot him around 25-30 yards and used the pipeline VSM's as cover. Here's a link to the thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=62209

Gotta find a way to keep the streak going next year, so I'm thinking a float hunt in Unit 13 when the kings are running in July might be in order.

That channel is pretty easy to miss, but after a couple years it comes pretty natural finding the right path. Glad you guys had a good trip. By the looks of it, there was no shortage of broken and beaten boats. There was a flipped over airboat on the Ivishak yesterday right by the guides camp. Real nice red airboat sitting half in the water completely upside down.

I just got home tonight from our float on the Ivishak. Had a great hunt and took a few nice bulls. Seemed to be fewer animals this year than last but I did go later so I am not sure if that matters up there or not as they have had 3 good snows in the mountains.

I seen Nimrod but didn't talk to him. Jerod, I am not sure what you run up there.

Also seen the flipped airboat and heard the man and his 6 year old were ok. That is a big blessing as that is some COLD water.

Seen one nice Grizz and a Wolverine and couldn't connect on either.

The char fishing was off the hook.

Water was WAY higher than last year on Aug 21st. We were drifting at 6mph at times this year and last year we were begging to get 3mph.

Default One more thing

Seen a pretty nice bull moose in the road about 10pm last night about 20 miles south of the launch area.

He wouldn't get out of the road so I honked and the sucker about mounted the truck. He actually scared me.

5 minutes later I hit an owl then slammed on the brakes for caribou and if that isn't enough around 1am I have some sheep run out in front of me in Atigun.

I pulled over and slept at the summit after that one. Crazy night on the Haul Rd

Sam how long of ride was that from my place ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Nice bou their.. glad you guys made it up their and back with no serious problems.. and got some bou too..

Default Airboat....

Here is a pic of the red airboat next to where the outfitters were camped.

Default Good Job

AK ranger, looks like you guys did well. by the way who is the old guy with you in the first pictures? I think that is awesome, taking your grandfather up on the slope for a great hunt. Way to go, you are a great American. Nice boat to.

AKD

Default Granpa....

Just doing what I can for the older fellas...lol....Here's a pic of what not to do on the Ivishak........Never, Never forget your high lift jack.

All I can say is THANK YOU for a once in a lifetime hunt. It was an honor and lots of fun hunting up there with you guys. I'm so jealous that Ya'll have such a BEAUTIFUL place to hunt. But I'm very glad to have a friend thats willing to drag me along on a hunt like last week. It was the coolest and most difficult hunt this Georgia boy has ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Thanks to all you guys on here also for the suggestions on my gear list it worked out really well. By the way I can't believe AlaskaRanger that you didn't put any pics of me and pops on here so here they are. Hope everyone has a GREAT hunting season and shoot straight!!

Here's one more pic I can't leave Col. Miller out without him the hunt would not have been the same.

Talking Great work

I can't believe that I left you guys the coordinates to my ultra super secret sheep hunting spot and I findout you are up on the slope hunting caribou.

Great looking bou.