Thread: new to this and looking for advice on good taxidermist

Default new to this and looking for advice on good taxidermist

Hello all,
    I am looking for a good taxidermist to mount a 71 inch moose shoulder mount I took last year.

Question Where U B ?

aktroutguide,
    Congrats on the big guy.
    A 71 inch moose is a mounter all right.
    Give us a clue as to which area of the grid you reside near.
    There are some good, and some great, taxidermist throughout AK.
    No sence sending you to an Anchorage artist if your residence is in Deadhorse.
    So, where U B ?

Dennis

Default Action Anatomy

I use Bob Martis/Action Anatomy 360-6218. He has competitive rates and does OUTSTANDING work! A lot of his work is up in the bow shop in Eagle River (Archers Den?). I hope this helps.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    There are some good, and some great, taxidermist throughout AK.
    And then there are some NOT so good!

My point is that you need to MAKE SURE you do research on the taxidermist. Go see their work. Ask for references and GO SEE the work. Just because one person says "they do great work" does not mean you'll think so.

TRUST ME! You'll be much happier with the result if you do a little extra leg work.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default foxy beaver

Foxy beaver in big lake does really good work. She did a awsome job on my moose last year.

Default research

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    And then there are some NOT so good!

My point is that you need to MAKE SURE you do research on the taxidermist. Go see their work. Ask for references and GO SEE the work. Just because one person says "they do great work" does not mean you'll think so.

TRUST ME! You'll be much happier with the result if you do a little extra leg work.
    I second what Alaskan22 has said. I am learning this the hard way as I am still waiting on the big brownie I shot in May of 2006. Get multiple references and take a first hand look at their work so you have a good idea of what to expect.

Default taxidermist

I would take a good look at Foster's taxidermy between Palmer and Wasilla. He has done mounts from all over the world and has done all kinds of animals. I know that he is great with sheep, in particular, but his musk ox mounts, moose, etc all look really good.

driveacub is right, fosters does really good sheep. but the problem is most taxidermist do really well on something and not so hot on others. for example, i wouldn't take a bear rug to fosters but i run there with my sheep. Trophy tanning i'd take my rugs to or Tami in anchorage in a heart beat, but probably not my sheep...some guys just get an eye for something and it clicks well for them...taxidermist take some shopping around.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Taxidermist

Russ Knight at Knight's Taxidermy has been doing all of my work for over 20 years, and has always done outstanding work. And, he's a great guy as well. Give him a call or stop by his shop.

I've had great luck with Mike at Last Frontier Taxidermy in Anchorage.

Default Foster's

I chose Foster for several reasons- price, cooperation, detailed biology lesson as Dan has 8 years experieince as a biologist with ADFG, hunting stories, showing my entire family almost every single thing in his place they asked about and not to mention the 2 great musk ox mounts he had already on his wall.

He was one of three we talked to and I think I will be a repeat customer to him.

Default Plan b

Send him to me I will take care of it for you and you won't have to worry about him ever ever again. Just kidding great size to mount. Hope it looks as good as I dream he will.