Thread: Um...All the rose hips are dead?!

Default Um...All the rose hips are dead?!

Folks,

I went out berry-picking today for highbush cranberries and to check the status of the rose hips I had been watching up to three weeks ago. Since then I haven't returned until today. Having read that rose hips are "best" when picked after the first frost I waited, taking comfort that I had book-knowledge to help me learn instead of real-life experience.

Well, guess what? The hips were all wilted, or have fallen during this course of time. Is it just the area I am (Wasilla)? Has this happened all over the Mat-Su Valley? I'd like to pick at least a couple gallons of 'em, to experiment with this winter. Any information would be appreciated.

Signed,

Totally Bummed!

PS.... I learned we have lowbush cranberries, too, in the woods across the street where I picked today. Turns out I was walking on 'em and had to forage around dogberry, rose hips, highbush and other assorted plant matter that was crowding 'em out on the forest floor. I did manage a handful of the lowbush variety but concentrated on saving my back by standing tall, proud and easily picking at arm's height the highbush variety! They are everywhere!

Have not seen that problem down on the penninsula. Becarful how many of those hips you eat at one time, they tend to act like a laxative. Allthough I have made wine out of them and it is some of the best around.

What are your plans for the berrries?

I planned on gathering the rose hips for recipes, such as jellies, jams, fruit juice and muffins. And especially so that around here they are very abundant and large in size. It would be easy to fill a gallon bucket very quickly.

On Monday I'll be heading out to the Houston area to survey any late season berries that may still remain ripe. Hopefully, I'll find 'em before I go to work.

Here is an hours worth of highbush/lowbush cranberry picking today:

http://img4.imageshack.us/i/036yv.jpg/

(Standard size cookie sheet, loaded with about 2 1/2 - 3 cups of berries! I could have netted more but I was taking pictures and temporary lost my berry bucket in the thicket!)

If Rose's Hips are dead.........she must be married..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If Rose's Hips are dead.........she must be married..........
    LOL!

That reminds me of a guy I knew when I was 18 and working at an oil refinery in California. Lou was fond of quipping, that he'd saved celibacy for marriage; or that he'd keep a couple aspirin on the night stand for his wife's ever-present headache(s)!