Thread: 338 Win Mag with 250 grain Sierras

Default 338 Win Mag with 250 grain Sierras

I've hunted with 338 Win Mag for years using 225 grain Hornady Interlocks. Have shot a couple elk and some deer and antelope with this load. I've decided to bump up to a 250 grain bullet now that I am in Alaska. Partly because I want to try something new and my shots will probably be shorter range at bigger critters. I've had good luck with my 270 shooting 130 grain Sierra game king boattails. Very accurate and has flattened an antelope for me the last 2 years at over 300 yards. I bought some 250 grain Sierra game king boattails for my 338. I like the accuracy and price of the Sierras. Haven't had time to load them, but does anyone have some experience with these bullets in this caliber? I'd be using this load for moose and black bear. Would probably get a better bullet for brown bear?.

So, how does the Sierra stack up against a moose or big bear?

I personally would be looking at some other bullets. You could skip going to a 250 grain bullet and use one of the premium bonded bullets such as the A-Frame, the TSX or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in a 225 grainer for better trajectory. If your going to load up a 250 grain bullet for the 338 WM then I would definately go with a Premium bullet. Our animals are much bigger than Antelopes and if your looking for good penetration a bonded bullet is going to provide you with that far better than a Siera Game King, the 250 grainer will work for everything you listed plus brown bear. I use Federal 225 grain Barnes TSX's and they shoot sub MOA out of my Ruger, and there isn't anything in this state I woudln't shoot with that combo.

I've got a lot of experience with Sierra for varmint, target and game dating back to the 1960. I love them! But I wouldn't use them as you propose. They're terrific long range bullets when you need assured expansion, something not all the premiums can accomplish. They're generally too fragile in my book inside 100 yards, and given my choice I'd confine their use in magnums to over 200 yards, and then I'd only use your 250 grainers for non-dangerous game such as moose or elk. Again, I love those things, but I've shot them enough to recognize their limits.

Among the premiums one of the best compromises between price and toughness will be the Nosler Partition. No, they don't retain quite as much weight as some of the other premiums, but they do a good enough job for me. They're a whole lot cheaper than many other premiums, too. I'm yet to recover a 338 Nosler from any game at any range, which is a sure enough sign for me that they're holding together just fine.

Did some research on game king bullets. Very light weight construction and made for shooting at long distance. Looks like they will make great 500 yard bullets. Too bad I don't plan to shoot any animals at 500 yards. Should make some good practice bullets. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will hit at a similar point of impact as the bullets I plan to use for hunting.

Next up Nosler Partitions. Haven't heard of too many problems with these bullets and time to stop being a tight wad.

Default 225 grain Kodiaks (.338 WM)

I have a box of these staring at me from my bench, anyone have any loads or results with this particular pill (or the 275 Kodiaks for that matter)?

Thumbs up Accuracy

Love the Gameking accuracy, but in the 338 Win the 250gr shows excellent retention at long ranges.....but 200 yards and under....sheds core.

The 225gr Nosler AB or Part, Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX is what I recommend.

I use the Barnes 225gr TSX and IMR 4350 in my 338 Win......max charge out of Nosler Manual
    Alaska

Sierra'a are generally known for being very accurate but they are not usually the first choice of somone needing a premium bullet for deep penetration while holding together. To be blunt, I think they are junk on large animals.
    Stay with a good Barnes XXX, Partition, Northfork, Bear Claw etc.

The few cents you save on a cheaper bullet can come back and haunt you.
    Tennessee

I agree with the others who have said that a tougher bullet would be a better choice for Alaska hunting. The reason why it's a good idea is because of the additional penetration a tougher bullet can provide should you have to shoot a grizzly bear.

You could always come down in weight if you like, and use a Barnes 225-grain Triple Shock bullet, an A-Frame of the same weight, or another of the numerous tough .338-caliber bullets. A 250-grain Partition is a little tougher than a 250-grain Sierra, but a 250-grain A-Frame is real tough.

I would think that a 250-grain Triple Shock would be an outstanding bullet for Alaska hunting.

Post Swift or Nosler

I would go for a swift a frame,nosler partition if you are going after brown bear.You need the best bullets on tough game period!

I would go with swift as my first choice and as my second chioce Nosler. I shot a brown bear on Unimak Island back in 1987 with a 375 H&H using a 300gr Swift & a max load of imr 4350. The first shot broke the front left shoulder and went clear through, just missing missing the right leg bone. The second shot angled through left shoulder with the bullet stopping in the right rear hindguarter just under the hide. The recovered bullet had mushroomed pefectly and had a retained weight of 297grs. You won't get this kind of performance with the Nosler. DuckToller

Talking

You nailed a 'lope with a 225 .338" bullet? Were they out of .243" ammo at Wal-Mart? ;o)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DuckToller View Post
    I would go with swift as my first choice and as my second chioce Nosler. I shot a brown bear on Unimak Island back in 1987 with a 375 H&H using a 300gr Swift & a max load of imr 4350. The first shot broke the front left shoulder and went clear through, just missing missing the right leg bone. The second shot angled through left shoulder with the bullet stopping in the right rear hindguarter just under the hide. The recovered bullet had mushroomed pefectly and had a retained weight of 297grs. You won't get this kind of performance with the Nosler. DuckToller
    Exactly, swift a frame rules!