Thread: First lefty

Default First lefty

Some pics of the first left handed bow I made. The bow is Ipe with lacewood riser and white oak accents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I also made a flemish twist string for it. Have to admit the bottom loop gave me so much trouble I finally setteled on the really old school way and tied it with a timber hitch.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

One of the riser. The gentleman who has been waiting for this bow can pick it up wednesday. I have some slight sanding to do tonight, then clear coat in am.
    BHA Member

That looks great.

good stuff Rick....why the trouble with the loops?

Well when I try to wind the bottom loop the rest of the string unwinds on me. I'm missing something simple, something that will be a Duh! moment when I get it. And yes I've tried winding the other way.
    BHA Member

hmm...

So the first loop is good?

Do you back (counter) twist to get the cable out before starting the second loop?

I've never had a loop come undone but I have had people come back with a string without a loop in them from untwisting them TOO much LOL! oh I had to keep a few twists in the string haha...I know thats not your problem.

The only thing it can be is you're twisting one loop one way and the other loop the opposite direction....effectively untwisting a loop in the process, or after you complete the string.

Nothing should change from the first loop to the second, everything should be repetitive...to bad you weren't closer!!! Or I could afford the gas to haul my rear end down there to chase some fowl.

Every once in awhile I have issues serving. Sometimes I'm serving WAY too tight...hate my new serving tools...to the point it is untwisting the string and at times will take a twist or two out of it.....need to find some smooth washers for the server like my old one had, worked like a charm but had SMALL holes...nothing a hot needle didnt fix. Opened it up and prestola, worked like a champ, till I loaned it out and prestola it never came back UGG! That reminds me I'll have to call him lol...

Good luck with it!

nice bow, that's one piece right? or is it lams?

and on the string, you almost have to be twisting the bottom end in the opposite direction if it untwists.

I do like to back-twist like 15-20 times before I do the the 2nd loop to keep the strands smoother though.

I'm in Chugiak, so if you need any help let me know.

Nice looking bow. Get the string issue worked out though. I'm going to take a crack at string building in the near future and I know I"m going to need someone close by whose brain I can pick!

Phillyman

Technically called a board bow since the limbs are made from a single board cut layer of wood. I've been able to make some very nice bows using board staves. I'll be cutting out a form for laminated bows latter tonight while Tracy is at work and Gunther sleeps. I'm gong to continue to biuld all wood bows for now, can't think of a really good reason to add glass. But with my shop in a spare 8X11 bedroom I can give you a list of reasons as long as my arm to stick with my far less toxic building methods.

Tradbow and I need to build a few strings over beers...........I know I'm missing dumb!..............Or need to try one without a beer!
    BHA Member

yup no beers first gotta get your loop popping strings figgered out first

The loops don't pop I cant get the bottom one to form. Like I said it's something dumb, I just need to see one tied.
    BHA Member

so are you saying when you go to twist up the bottom loop it doesn't want to "stick" together? like the bundles are too twisted up and don't want to mesh together??

No by the time I finish the bottom loop the other half of the string has unwound. Like no matter which way I wind the 2 halves of the string always wind in opposite directions.
    BHA Member

well how I do it is wind the first loop and then put a paper clip or clothes line clip on it. That helps it from getting incidentally unwound. Then make sure you twist the next bundle exactly the same way.

If you twisting both ends the same it should be fine, try the clip if you haven't

yup you are doing one one way and doing the second in reverse...effetively untwisting the string.

Are you doing two or three strand strings?

I know it's odd but for sheesh a long time now I've done 2 ply 15strand strings...and they lay together nicely, you'd never know it was an odd number in one bundle.

OK ok..you need to get your bow building rear end up here..I'll fix your string problem..you can help me get going with bow building, have a bunch of osage slats...an osage stave profiled "drying" for oh...jeesh 5+ years, a hickory stave thats been drying for oh...7maybe8 years now LOL!

Now if I could only get the gumption to even go out and hunt and not have to deal with the fun people on 4 wheelers..or the bozo's who think a pickup is a hunting mobile..ugg! I hate not having the money to get out and do alaska the right way!!! It's been entirely tooooo long!

Are you cliping the first loop after it's finished? I like the black paper 'bundle" clips..they work MUCH gooder then a regular paper clip. ANything works really....Find one, try another string and get back to me on whats happening. If you take the clip off, twist the string and one loop comes undone, you're definatly doing one loop in reverse. Without the clip it CAN be a pain to get the first loop to stay while you form the second, but it's USUALLY not a terribly big deal.

well hows the string building going?

Went out last nite for the first time and someone tagged my truck, gotta love it!

Lefty!! Now, we're talkin!

Well haven't built anymore strings, I've been feverishly working on a take down for my Michigan trip.

Here is something you all might find interesting.....finished the form for my first series of laminate bows! Sticking with "all natural" materials but my bows are about to take a leap in speed and durability. And yes I will have south pawed bows available from now on too.
    BHA Member