Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a porcupine

Default What to do with a porcupine

Ok... So my friend and i saw 3 porcupines and he shot one. He wants to get it mounted but we need to know what to do prior to taking it to taxidermist. Gut it? Or what?

lol.. thats a new one.. if you wnat another one your welcome to come up and get them from my yard.. they drive my dogs nuts.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

no really. he shot it. wants a mount. seen some before they look good. kinda like a coon mount.

Default Next one

skin it and take it to your favorite taxidermist, sure they can fix you up
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Freeze it and take it to the taxidermist whole. Best to let him do the skinning if you don't know what you are doing.

It strikes me that this question should be asked before an animal is shot. What if this were a trophy large game animal?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    It strikes me that this question should be asked before an animal is shot. What if this were a trophy large game animal?
    How big do porcupines get here??

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakAaron View Post
    Met an elderly chap on the river a few summers ago, who said he saw a porcupine that was so big he mistook it for a small bear. He said from across the river it sure looked like a bear walking through the willows but upon closer inspection he identified it to be a big porcupine, he said he didn't wanna get too close since he thought he might get stuck by a flying quill or two. hahaha

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I seen one up off the Denali Highway that was HUGE.

My wife encountered it while she was berry picking, and thought it was a bear at first.

When I went up there, it was so fast, I was unable to chase it down for a picture. If I'd wanted to shoot him, I couldn't have got a shot at him either.

IME, its been pretty easy to catch up to the NORMAL Porky, and they'll turn their back to you, and maybe stay put for a while, but this Biggy was a fast mover, running under the brush and changing directions etc.

I'm guessing, of course, but his body was maybe 3 feet long.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakAaron View Post
    beach ball size porky easliy go 100-150 lbs live weight...

average adult... 50-65 lbs....

the ones the join you in the camper for bean and franks.....bigger then you'll ever imagine
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As allyaall can see from the responses to the question "how big do porcupines get here?" Up here in Alaska we got trophy record book size porky's, I suspect the reason for that is because of the prime habitat. Vast stands of willow, birch, hemlock, aspen and spruce everywhere. Was told by a Wildlife Biologist that September thru November is porkys mating season, this is when the big trophy sized hogs fight over the sows. If you ever encounter a fighting pair in the woods I would advise that you keep your distance, these animals can be ferocious when they are fighting over a female, all teeth and quills. Be mindful of where you are too, don't get between the fighting pair and the sow. These hogs if they become aware of your presence may just quit fighting with each other and turn on ya (literally).
    Was also told that some of the biggins during the winter months dig dens like a bear, so watch where you are hiking when you are out in porcupine country. Wouldn't wanna hear of anyone falling down into a porcupine den and getting tangled up with a big old porcupine. Another thing to watch out for is porkys dropping down on ya from out of the trees, porkys climb trees to feed and roost and at times they are so clumsy when climbing that occassionally they will fall out of the tree, wouldn't wanna be walking under the tree they are climbing or roosting in when they do. Haven't heard of anyone getting hit by a falling porcupine yet but who knows what can happen out in the wilderness, this is in fact Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Haven't heard of anyone getting hit by a falling porcupine yet but who knows what can happen out in the wilderness, this is in fact Alaska.
    Great, just when I had my hands full in the woods looking out for bears, now I have to watch for falling porcupines! haha

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well, them BEAVERS can be a problem too.

One time ago, was walking through the trees along a beeg creek, and I found myself in a stand of beeg birch, that had ALL been munched on by Beavers, ALMOST COMPLETELY THROUGH, BUT NOT QUITE, and there was no way of tellin JIST WHEN one of'em would fall down, and one could take the rest.

I could'a been pounded into the Swamp, from multiple directions. The Greatland can be a dangerous place, but of course, I much prefer bears, porkupines, and beavers to Rattlesnakes.

What I really don't understand, is WHY a beaver would go to all that work, on such beeg trees, and NOT FINISH the job, and then do the SAME THING, again and again.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

throw it on the campfire and eat it when its done.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    throw it on the campfire and eat it when its done.
    make sure you bring lots of marshmellows for the quills

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    make sure you bring lots of marshmellows for the quills

thats why you throw it on the fire it burns them off.
    Semper Fi!

Good in soup or roasted.
    When shooting them up in the trees watch out when they come tumbling down.
    Cousin almost got hit doing this.

Supposed to be good luck when you get one out moose hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What I really don't understand, is WHY a beaver would go to all that work, on such beeg trees, and NOT FINISH the job, and then do the SAME THING, again and again.
    Maybe you were on their trapline.

A few years ago my dad and I were hiking pretty far above the timber line looking for bears. We stopped for a breather and about a hundered yards down the slope on some shale rock was a bear cub, needless to say at first glance i jumped up looking for his momma, as that is always a bad situation to be in. My dad chuckled as he looked through his binos and told me it was a HUGE porcupine. Never saw one that high or big before, he was pretty out of place up there.

If your friend is excited enough to mount a porcupine after killing it, he's probably going to pass out from excitment if he ever kills a bear or wolf.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    Maybe you were on their trapline.
    Bet he was on a wily old 3-legged beaver's trapline. Heard they wisen up and get pretty smart after being trapped once. Pretty ingenious that a few of 'em have learned how to set up deadfalls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast