Thread: Ruger Frontier rifle in 358 Win seen in Kenai

Default Ruger Frontier rifle in 358 Win seen in Kenai

I was at Gator Guns today in Kenai checking on some work and I saw that he had a 358 Winchester caliber Ruger Frontier short rifle in his shop. It had the scout scope base and the regular scope mounting points. It had a nice laminated stock and an interesting finish over the stainless.

If I was not up to my eyeballs in other bills I would have jumped on that neat little carbine. Anyone looking for a handy little 358 Win might want to wander by there...

Beartooth has worked up some good loads here...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Smile saw it...

Darn barell is only about 16 inches. I want one with a 21 or 22 inch barell. Still, it is neat!

That would be a real deal of a rifle and cartridge for up close and thick stuff. I will be doing my load work with the 225gr Accubond this coming week. The Accubond will fit in the 358Win ruger. I will be using TAC powder which will allow for great velocities and the bullet will not crowd the powder because a max load of TAC will not come all the way up to the base of the brass neck. I will post the results soon.

The Ruger Frontier has a real nich it fills and in 358win as Float Pilot indicates would really be a sweet rig.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I tried the 225 grain accubond in my 350 rem Mag and it was too long for the cartridge neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I tried the 225 grain accubond in my 350 rem Mag and it was too long for the cartridge neck.
    Yes, they will not not work in the 350, when I had one I tried them also but they do work in the 358Win.

With the Accubond should be -5" at 275yds, -10" at 315yds, at 320yds hold on top of shoulders of deer size game and will be able hit the kill area out to 400yds being -14" from top of shoulders out to 390yds. The best I can do with my 225gr Sierra load is 375yrds being 14" from top of shoulder.

Just was out yesterday shooting the 225gr Sirra at 300, 350 and 375yds so those figures are for sure. Was 3 3/4" group at 300yds and at 375 was just at 6" groups. All bullets did fall within a ten inch circle. Will know more about the Accubond soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I read that the Frontier carbine has been discontinued by Ruger. (16.5 inch barrel) I wish I would have seen one a year ago in 358. I would have bought one for my oldest daughter. As it was, I cut down an older Ruger M77 tang safety for her in 30-06. After handling that little Frontier Carbine I think that one in 308 or 358 would have been a better way to go. She wanders all over in the deep woods, but she is not a very large person.

That Frontier would have been perfect for her in 358Win, since she wanders all over the place she might need something that she not only can carry easy but has a little extra thump to it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS