Thread: Had to watch him walk away!

Default Had to watch him walk away!

Well went out today looking my cow to fill my DM407 permit. Well 2 hours into the hunt we spotted a very large bull in a field accompanied by a cow. We attempted to make a stalk but the cow was on to us. See stood up and was acting very nevious, the bull didn't want to move. So as we sat there and tried to allow the cow to calm down and try and figure out if this bull was legal, 50 or 3 brow tines. She kept pacing and finally the bull decided it was time to go also. As he stood up you could see on one side he had 2 very long tines and the other side 1 very long tine and what looked like two smaller tines. Yes I know that makes three tines but we were not absolutly positive the smaller two were tines. So as I'm busy watching the bull the cow heads for the trees and the bull follows suit. So we, (me and my dad) just sat there and watched these two beatiful animals walk into the woods. And Just like that they were gone. It's been driving me crazey, cause as I replay this over and over in my head I keep picturing the bull and the cow trotting away. So I don't have a "moral of the story" but figured if I put this down it will help me cope with my loss and their gain..... Going out tomorrow for the weekend and only hope we are luckey enough to see them again.

Thumbs up

When the bull looks at you and you can definately count the brow tines, that is the time for action. They stand out like sore thumbs, when they are looking at you or walking away from you and if you are above them, so you can see over their backside. Better to be in the position you are in, than to be butchering a sub legal bull to give to the state.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Blaze, you made the choice most hunters should make. If you weren't sure don't shoot. You just have to think about that feeling you would have had when you walked up on the bull and could only count two brow tines and 45". Karma is a true thing, a good hunt experience is in store.

Default ??

why didn't you shoot the cow?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Chris,

You made the right choice. But if its bothering you so bad, you can come back to work and cry the blues and we won't hold it against you. LOL Good Luck Buddy BTW, you have a cow tag and antlers make a terrible soup.

Mark
    Last edited by chico99645; 09-05-2009 at 15:20. Reason: add info

You made the right call, but it's OK to second guess it.

Quote Originally Posted by SEEBLAZE View Post
    Well went out today looking my cow to fill my DM407 permit. Well 2 hours into the hunt we spotted a very large bull in a field accompanied by a cow. We attempted to make a stalk but the cow was on to us. See stood up and was acting very nevious, the bull didn't want to move. So as we sat there and tried to allow the cow to calm down and try and figure out if this bull was legal, 50 or 3 brow tines. She kept pacing and finally the bull decided it was time to go also. As he stood up you could see on one side he had 2 very long tines and the other side 1 very long tine and what looked like two smaller tines. Yes I know that makes three tines but we were not absolutly positive the smaller two were tines. So as I'm busy watching the bull the cow heads for the trees and the bull follows suit. So we, (me and my dad) just sat there and watched these two beatiful animals walk into the woods. And Just like that they were gone. It's been driving me crazey, cause as I replay this over and over in my head I keep picturing the bull and the cow trotting away. So I don't have a "moral of the story" but figured if I put this down it will help me cope with my loss and their gain..... Going out tomorrow for the weekend and only hope we are luckey enough to see them again.

Welcome to the CLUB!
    Joe (Ak)

Gents,

Thought I'd give an update, my cow tag has been filled and the meats in the freezer. Heading up north in the morning till Sunday to look for bull winkle. And yes I still see that moose walking away in my head. And Mark, as much as I'd love to come back to "WORK" seasons still open....

Post pics. when I return.

Chris

Had to watch a bull in the 60" class range feed down in a meadow below us because season in that area isn't open yet. Bummer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Pike Palace, sent you a pm