Thread: help with duck ID

Default help with duck ID

Can anyone help with an ID on these so I can confirm my guess?
    Attached Images Attached Images

one on the left is a drake widgeon the other appers to be a hen
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

its a lot easier to tell when they are breast up, but those are definately widgeon

Even after looking at the duck ID page on ducks unlimited I thought they were gadwall - thanks for the correction!

Widgeons for sure. left male/ right hen

Post Duck Identification

Not to hijack your thread, but I thought this post would correlate with the topic. If they give me the time, I usually identify ducks on the wing by flight characteristics and speculum color. Otherwise, I go with the bill of the bird as a major identifier. Alaska has to be the most challenging in regards to waterfowl hunting due to the lack of full plummage on our ducks. Though we do have very liberal limits with only one restriction currently (1 Can), I think it's a credit to all Alaska Waterfowl hunters as duck identification can be tricky. To this day I still carry an identification book with me in my blind bag. Though I don't use it as much as I did in the old days, it's still great to look at. Case in point, years ago I took my first Surf Scooter, but had no idea at the time what he was. I hadn't hunted Sea Ducks before and there he was in the interior. The ole ident book came in handy once again. Anyhow, just my two cents about identification. Attached a link to a book that's been around awhile and has some good info regarding identification.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xRc...age&q=&f=false

Wingshooter,

Excellent resource - I just ordered it & plan to carry it with me until I get the hang of AK duck ID. Thanks!

that was the book I was going to recommend, till I got to your post. Bought it last year when I had a problem identifying a duck. Plus its the book that game wardens here in FL use as well.

The one on the left is a gadwall. Its the only duck with a white speculum. Not sure about the one on the right. Cant see enough of it.

ok here is what a capped out widgeon looks like! also gadwall has orange feet not blue like widgeon! so in both pics one way to tell is that widgeon have white shoulder feathers and gadwall have white trailing feathers. if any one disagrees plz feel free to pm me.

here is a gadwall

Good catch on the feet. I stand corrected.

thanks, the only reason why i jumped on that is because gadwall is one of a very few ducks that i havent shot yet, and it eludes me, so every time i shoot a immature/eclipsed widgeon i check the feet because they do kind of look similar, expecially in the early season.

Post Alaskan Gadwall

I lived and hunted in northern Louisiana years ago and all you saw was Grey ducks. Now, at least for me here in the interior, you don't see any. Of course there's always an exception as back in 2003 I was able to take one that was flying with a group of Wigeon. Look too at the bill of the bird as it's a great identifier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There were a hole bunch of grey ducks on the ponds south of Girdwood on the Sunday before the opener. I have shot a cpuple in portage in teh past, and one on the KP about 8 years ago. According to the "ducks at a distance" pamphlet I got from ADF&G gadwalls are a very early migrator, and they hardly ever see extreme cold.

Talking They are...

Two dead ducks!