Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big, tiny, little or huge are these bulls?

Default How big, tiny, little or huge are these bulls?

Was out yesterday for 3 hours and we spotted 6 bulls out of 30 animals we saw including a harem of 13 Cows or close to it. they where all fairly near each other.

Anyhow I had to work on the pictures at wal mart and zoomed in on them and then took a picture with the Mavica's Macro lens of the picture to get these grainy not so good pictures, but it should help anyhow.

We even spotted the lone black bear near 4 Bulls and a lone cow.Yeah! I thought that was kinda strange.Now if only I had access to an Airboat or an Airboat with an Argo Id head back out there.BTW! thanks for just looking as Im not one to Judge a Moose.

Most importantly Thanks Mike If you read this.

Default And the rest.

I'm not very good with judging width, but I don't think any of those are close to 50". That being said, the bottom two pictures on the first post look like that bull has four brow tines on his left side (right side of pic), thus making him legal.

I'll guess 36" on moose and 78" on the blacky

Boy, Brian, it depends on the pic. One of those you mentioned looks like four tines. The other one looks like two tines and two bumps that don't meet the F&G definition.

He's worth looking at more closely, though.

I agree that nothing looks over 50" to my inexpert eye.

Default And some more.

Went and got the other roll a little while ago and here are a few more Bulls.Whatcha think?

I hate putting pictures up like this, but its all I could think of in order to show ya'll. But I think Im headed out tomorrow for more scouting.

I didn't try counting the brow tines, am guessing the antlers in the 30" to 35" range...a nice meat bull, but not legal in many areas (unless it has 4 brow tines).

All too small in width. I'd be really hesitant to call the one with bumps for browtines as having enough brow tines. I'd pass on all of them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Good call on the brow tines, fellas. I should have clarified that I think he is close enough to warrant a closer look. You are correct that they may not be tines by the definition in the regs, in that they have to be longer than they are wide and at least 1" in length. Thanks for clarifying my poorly worded response.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Went and got the other roll a little while ago and here are a few more Bulls.Whatcha think?

If I were guiding a moose hunter, none of these bulls would be shooters. The only possible exception is the bull in the attached photo. He looks like a possibility, but his palms look a little short. You really can't judge a moose by a profile view though; you need a head-on look in most cases, or at least enough head movement to count tines and hopefully judge overall mass. One photo is of course not enough.

Have you viewed the ADFG video "Is This Moose Legal?" Excellent resource, and it comes with the video "Field Care of Big Game" on the same DVD.

Interesting photo angle by the way. Tree stand?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

Have you viewed the ADFG video "Is This Moose Legal?" Excellent resource, and it comes with the video "Field Care of Big Game" on the same DVD.

Interesting photo angle by the way. Tree stand?

-Mike
    No I have not checked out the video but I will thanks for the heads up. And the angle was hard to get as I was using a 200mm telephoto lens as we where flying.

And I should have mentioned this was all in a 50-3 area ( 50" or 3 browtine )

Default oh no...

No I have not checked out the video but I will thanks for the heads up. And the angle was hard to get as I was using a 200mm telephoto lens as we where flying.

And I should have mentioned this was all in a 50-3 area ( 50" or 3 browtine )
    Not to make any assumptions here, or hijack the thread, but are you guys scouting your moose from the air?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Man, that one cow kinda looks like a black bear, better get a better camera .

You hunting for a large rack, or the right amount of Browtines? There is atleast one that i counted 4 brow tines on which would make him legal, but i would need to get a better look at it, your pics are a little fuzzy.

Default None are in the

fifty inch range except the possibility of the one. There might be the one with four brows.

Default Looks like Helicopter rotor wash..

Are you guys harassing the game in the flats south of Fairbanks ? It sure looks like rotor wash around those moose, I was over there on wednesday and watched a helicopter flying real low for hours, It would be nice if the military would cool it for a few weeks during hunting season. I've hunted the flats since 1987 and i've seen a lot of military helicopters spotting game over the years, I expect that out of the young kids flying these things, but consider it harassment when they fly to low. I would still be over there but my boat broke down and I had to catch a ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Not to make any assumptions here, or hijack the thread, but are you guys scouting your moose from the air?

-Mike
    I called it scouting, but Ive never been Moose hunting. He wanted to go up and fly and invited me. He's not even interested in hunting and after spotting some Moose it turned into " Man if a fella had an Airboat or " etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Man, that one cow kinda looks like a black bear, better get a better camera .

You hunting for a large rack, or the right amount of Browtines? There is atleast one that i counted 4 brow tines on which would make him legal, but i would need to get a better look at it, your pics are a little fuzzy.
    Nope. Im strictly just a meat hunter and If I decided to go Moose hunting Ive been invited by another friend, and may just do that, but that will be later on in the season. right now its just cool to see them animals out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Are you guys harassing the game in the flats south of Fairbanks ? It sure looks like rotor wash around those moose, I was over there on wednesday and watched a helicopter flying real low for hours, It would be nice if the military would cool it for a few weeks during hunting season. I've hunted the flats since 1987 and i've seen a lot of military helicopters spotting game over the years, I expect that out of the young kids flying these things, but consider it harassment when they fly to low. I would still be over there but my boat broke down and I had to catch a ride in.
    You know I expected to get harassed on this subject but figured in a way which I did was get an honest opinion on the MOose, since Im trying to gauge what to look for and when you said rotor wash I had to go and look at all the pictures again and I agree, it does look like it and we did see two Helicopters on the ground where we were........both looked brand new and identical, one was blue and the other was red and the fellas where on foot in the trees nearby,other than that we had an Ultra lite pretty much cut in front of us later on.

Nope. Im strictly just a meat hunter and If I decided to go Moose hunting Ive been invited by another friend, and may just do that, but that will be later on in the season. right now its just cool to see them animals out there.
    For sure bro, it definitly is cool seeing that many bulls in one area like that. I dont hunt for rack size either, pretty much a meat hunter myself too. Like i said before, there was at least one with 3-4 browtines which would make him legal in most areas. Good luck to you if you decide to head out after them

B-rad

Thanks B-radford...Im not heading in there anyhow. I dont have the means or right friends that do hahahahaha!

I actually have a different bull in a 50-4 area which I was trying to stay away from because of the restrictions since I just want meat, but we saw him crossing the road on our road trip, and his still in the area with one cow nearby and he was racking a tree. coolest thing by far Ive seen.He warrents another look, but not crossing the fingers. Id like to get some ground shot photos of him tho.And good luck to you also.

Default no prob-

I called it scouting, but Ive never been Moose hunting. He wanted to go up and fly and invited me. He's not even interested in hunting and after spotting some Moose it turned into " Man if a fella had an Airboat or " etc.....
    I appreciate the response. That's somewhat different than going out to spot game from the air, I think. I have long believed that aerial spotting for the purpose of locating game to kill is a breach of the fair chase ethic. Lots of folks don't agree with that, and many will expend every resource and method available to them in order to leverage their advantage in the field. I'm a believer in self-imposed restraints designed to give the game a better than even chance.

This is not a strange new perspective, either. The late Hal Waugh, Alaska's first Master Guide, often voiced his opinion that
    "...airplanes had no place in the guiding business except as a transportation vehicle to and from the base camp. He strongly objected to using a plane for spotting or hunting trophy animals."
    (quoted from "Alaska Game Trails With a Master Guide", by Charles Keim) Lots of folks hold to these standards, and I think occasions like this are a great opportunity to preach the message. We've got a new crop of young hunters coming up and they need to hear it.

Best of luck on your moose hunt if you go. The video will be a huge help to you; the whole purpose of it is to help new moose hunters learn how to accurately judge whether a particular bull is legal or not. It takes looking at a lot of moose.

Take care,

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast