Thread: willow creek

Default willow creek

whos up for a trip on the willow? i am planning a trip for willow and surrounding rivers on the 14th to 18th, coming from north pole. will have a camper and one man raft. i like to hit the bows for a few hours than have a few beers and relax and eat good. probably stay at willow creek resort,mark

Let us know how the fishing is. I was there two weeks ago and the trout fishing was dead. too many pinks were in the river all the way up to Shirley Towne and beyond. I saw a pike in the river too. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

The Channel Two Sports said that Willow Creek for silvers was a hotspot.

I was up there on Thursday. When I got to the campground there were only three cars parked in the day use parking area. There were only about five people fishing at the mouth and one of those left when I arrived.

I threw several different flies in different colors for a couple of hours. Since the banks were empty I fished all up and down the bank and I didn't find any silvers. All the other people were down in the slack water trying to get a school of silvers to bite their lures. Instead of biting them the silvers just moved out of the way.

The water is still pretty low on both Willow and Montana Creeks. With all the humpy eggs and flesh in the water the rainbows don't seem to be actively feeding. I've gone a couple of times in different locations and haven't found any rainbows.

I also didn't see anyone fishing in the afternoon or at night at the Willow Resort even though there were several campers there.

If I were you I'd save the gas money from North Pole and come down in a couple of weeks when the rainbows aren't so spread out.

well if willow doesnt work out i have always wanted to see sheep creek or one of the others. i was just setting up camp in willow, so i could shower and hit the local watering hole. dont look like anyone wants to catch any big bows though, mark

I was up there on Labor day and the Trout are definitely up there but there not feeding at least they weren't when I was there, I parked up from the park on the road that takes you to hatcher pass just before the power lines, the humpies and silvers are gone well not gone but just dead all over the place and pretty stinky too! I ran into a big pool of trout must have been about twenty all piled up in this one spot, I threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and nothing. I might go back in another week and try again. good luck

willow can be a fun float...and you can find fish up river...as well as little willow (an even funner float). I've done better for silvers on the lower end on lil willow then big....never done the lil su.

Wish I could go, even have a 16' cat set up and ready to fish, but no $$$ for gas, and really need to stay here and work for my pard.

Oh btw, there maybe some fish closer to fairbanks..cough cough.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

Oh btw, there maybe some fish closer to fairbanks..cough cough.

haha! Lol!

I wonder where you are talking about?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

bc...and no it's not dcw . I took today off to go check.

gonna head in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    bc...and no it's not dcw . I took today off to go check.

gonna head in a bit.
    I can't go anywhere this weekend, can you drop a hint?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default revised plan

maybe this will get someone going. planning on floating willow tuesday, little willow wednesday and sheep on thursday.....oh yea triple header, mark

sounds like fun, and down time during the week to boot! Post pics if you do go!!! I've been splittn wood and screwn off all weekend, havent bothered to run out and check on the fish up here yet.

i will be in a silver toyota staying at willow resort, cell-460-0770 if anyone gets some free time,mark