Thread: Whittier fishing

Default Whittier fishing

Ok, I am heading to Whittier sunday with the fam for a day of casual fishing since I have 5,7,8yr olds. I want to try for some silvers but also would like to try to catch anything so the kiddos can have some fun. I have heard you can catch Polluck off docks but also that the marina docks are closed to fishing. Any other species available?

Any recommendations on where around area to go and what to target and ideal bait to use?

Fish On!!

Was just down there yesterday scouting for silvers, and they just aren't there. Don't know if they are running late or just not running. Time will tell on that.

I'd suggest fishing off the breakwater on the ocean side near the restaurant circle. That's where I catch herring, but there's also cod and flounder bopping around out there. Cast a 1 or 2 ounce weight with a chunk of herring on it out and let it sit and see what happens...you never know what's going to hit. I do know of a couple of better then decent sized halibut caught from around there, so you might get lucky.

Also, watch for gulls. If you see a big bunch of them, fish around them if you can. There's usually a ball of herring below them, and with that comes the predator fish.

Good luck. Maybe you'll get lucky and the next couple of days will bring the silvers in.

The salmon have shown up at Salmon Run. People are catching them just about any way you choose: vibrax, herring under a bobber, and snagging. The silvers are running a bit small, almost every one under 10 pounds (estimated). Boat fisherman are camping out at the mouth of the cove and mooching for them.

We didn't fish, because we were there just to paddle, so we snuck in and chatted with some fishermen. One guy had two landed and said he got three yesterday. The fish are swimming in small groups, between five and ten fish at times, occasionally a loner. Still some icky looking pinks, but most of those are now lying dead on the bottom.

Over at the breakwater one of the locals told me a guy got a limit off the rocks yesterday evening.

Hopefully the fish will show up in greater numbers in the coming week or two. Guys returning from outside Passage Canal seemed to have plenty of fish. I didn't talk to anyone about where they had caught them.

Beautiful day in Whittier. Glad I got an early start to beat the traffic home. If you fish at the cove, take safety glasses or plan on wading to an open spot, because some of the snaggers are really not watching their backcasts (or aren't very skilled at tossing the lead).... I was glad we stayed out a ways beyond even the wildest "anglers".

That's good to hear. Might have to sneak down there tomorrow.

Was there today. Absolutely beautiful day. I fished off the breakwater on the Ocean side and didnt catch anything except 3 starfish lol. Inside the harbor off docks, I saw silvers jumping around and 1 guy had 3 on a chain. No one else had any though. I tossed out vibrax for about 1 hr and got ignored so I gave up. Where is this Salmon run? I am heading there again next weekend so would like to know where to hit them. Maybe someone wants to run down there with me.

The fact that there were any fish in the harbor means it's better then it was a couple days ago. It was totally dead. Try fishing whole troll herring with no weight when they are in the harbor. Even when the bite is slow, they can't seem to resist a dead-drifting herring right in front of their noses.

You are seriously making me wish I had gone down there tonight so I could fish high tide at 3:30 AM..... Silvers don't like to bite if the sun is shining for some reason.

Oh, forgot Salmon Run. As you enter town, (the actual little "town" part/harbor area, not right after you clear the tunnel staging area), there's a right hand turn that crosses the train tracks...take that. Follow it to the stop sign, then cut across and up the road there. As you pass the old run-down building, there's another right up the hill. Take that. Follow until you hit the pullout/campgroundish looking area. There's a little cove and creek back there, and that's Salmon Run.
    Last edited by coho slayer; 09-06-2009 at 23:13. Reason: Forgot Salmon Run directions

You might want to see if you can take a day mid-week to go to Whittier. Based on the number of folks already fishing up in the cove today it's bound to be more crowded next weekend, especially on the 12th which is, I believe, the day of the kid's salmon derby. The derby is down at the harbor, but the reason they pick that date is probably because it's traditionally when the peak of the "run" occurs, even though salmon return to Whittier well into and beyond late September most years. The fishing at Salmon Run resembles the lagoon in Homer to some extent. Kind of pathetic, a bunch of fish with nowhere really to go and a bunch of folks chucking treble hooks at them. They actually will hit a lure or bait, so it's more like real fishing, I guess. I didn't see anyone fishing up at Smitty's, but some years that's just as productive as anywhere else.

The weather forecast is for rain every day this week, including tomorrow, so maybe you don't have to worry about the sunshine putting them off their bite!

We're planning on hitting it tomorrow. We usually stick to the harbor if there's any fish, just to avoid the snaggers. I like catching them the old fashioned way if I can. Still often a lot of people snagging there even though it's against regs, though. Sometimes we fish to the left of Smitty's boat ramp, where the snaggers seem to avoid for some reason. Maybe there's a lot of snags there, but floating bait under a bobber can produce.

I'll most likely go again Thursday. I have a work schedule that allows a lot of mid-week fishing, which is great for me to avoid the crowds.

Default Labor Day morning in Whittier

Well, we managed to get out of Anchorage and were the first car in the first tunnel opening. Strangely few cars, we got there about 2 minutes before it opened and we first in line to go through. Anyhooo...

We checked all the spots...the harbor, Smitty's, along the road by Shakespeare Creek, Salmon Run....didn't see a thing. Nothing seemed to be in the water, including seagulls which I thought was a little odd. Very very few people actually even fishing anywhere. I think we all know the drill. If there aren't fish at least occasionally jumping, they probably aren't there.

We waited for the sun to come up and brighten the day so I could at least check in the water visually, and still nothing. Don't know what's going on or where they went. I guess they were in and then they went away. Anyway, long story short: Long night, nice morning in Whittier, no fish anywhere to be seen, came home for a lunch-time nap. If I didn't have my wife and son with me, I would've hung out for the high tide swing to see if that brought anything in, but they were tired and bored and I decided to have mercy on them.

Default I confirm poor fishing.

The family and I spent a few days there this weekend with no luck for us. I even bottom fished outside the harbor and down the south shore with no results. But, the weather couldn't have been much better and we had a good time. If those fish do make it in though I'm gonna be there trying Slayer's herring technique.