Thread: Recovered 358win bullets

Default Recovered 358win bullets

I have shot 200gr silvertips, 200gr hornady spire points, 200gr rem cl psp, 220gr Speers, 225gr partitions, and 225gr sierra BT through my gun and all end up in a sand back stop.

I tend to dig them out from time to time and all seem to expand fine to one degree or another all are stopped in the first 4-8 " of sand and all seen more abrassion than if they actual hit an animal.

Here is the weird part only the sierra's stopped expanding at the o-give and shed their core's the cores are very intact and their jackets are say 75% as long as they started out. Why such odd perfromance from a known lightly jacketed bullet that does work on game? Velocities were from 2320-2400fps.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

SAND..... that's why. try them in some soft clay or mud and you will likely see a big difference. Sand is just way to abrasive, hard and irregular to be a reliably accurate bullet testing medium.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Smile

I am not testing bullets.

Its just strange that all other bullets behaved predictably, even in this abrasive medium. Why the sierra's strange performance as compared to win, rem, hornady, nosler, and speer's bullets?

I would have expected the sierra to turn inside out or some thing just short of it. Its not velocity the 225gr partition is textbook and all the others show what I would expect from a very abruped stopped it abrasive media.

By the way ranking from weakest to strongest, win, hornady, rem, and partition. The speer was from a 35rem. All would work great on game if matched correctly.

While I haven't recovered any of those Sierra's from game, that really doesn't surprise me, sand or not. In my experience with other calibers, basic cup-and-core boattail bullets very often shed their cores in game. I just don't trust them on game, no matter who made them. Lots of manufacturers have devised ways to keep the core in place on boattails, but they've done so because they felt the need to. In contrast, the basic Sierra 35 cal 200 grain RN has never shed a core on game from what I can tell, at MV's ranging from around 1800fps from a 35 Remington Contender to around 2600fps from a Whelen. Sure, their jackets folded way back and lots of lead eroded away, but the core and jacket stayed together.

BTW- My favorite bullets in the 358 before advent of the 35 cal partitions were the Winchester Silver Tips in both 200 and 250 grain weights. Lots of folks have cussed the Silver Tip at higher velocities, but they're sterling performers at the velocities of the 358 Win. I've still got a 200-grainer I recovered from a large buck. It was a Texas heart shot at 80 yards as the buck ran straight away. It traveled full length through the deer and came to rest against the right corner of its jaw after going the length of the neck, too. Perfect mushroom. Final weight? 138 grains! I'll throw that up alongside Nosler performance any day. It was a sad day when I finally ran out of 200 grain Silver Tips for reloading. I'm still hoarding a couple of hundred of the 250 grain versions, but I sure miss the 200's.

Default Same-same

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

BTW- My favorite bullets in the 358 before advent of the 35 cal partitions were the Winchester Silver Tips in both 200 and 250 grain weights. Lots of folks have cussed the Silver Tip at higher velocities, but they're sterling performers at the velocities of the 358 Win. I've still got a 200-grainer I recovered from a large buck. It was a Texas heart shot at 80 yards as the buck ran straight away. It traveled full length through the deer and came to rest against the right corner of its jaw after going the length of the neck, too. Perfect mushroom. Final weight? 138 grains! I'll throw that up alongside Nosler performance any day. It was a sad day when I finally ran out of 200 grain Silver Tips for reloading. I'm still hoarding a couple of hundred of the 250 grain versions, but I sure miss the 200's.
    I'm still sitting on one hundred .30 cal 180 Silvertips. At this point, I think maybe they have more value as a collector's item than anything else. Dad brought over a box of 150's and after much discussion, ended up demanding that I load them up for his hunt last year. 'Bout made me cry to see them bullets go out the door......
    Why does it always seem that if I pick up a partial box of old bullets thinking to just blow 'em into the hillside, they end up giving stellar performance, and I'll never be able to find another box for the rest of my life?

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Why does it always seem that if I pick up a partial box of old bullets thinking to just blow 'em into the hillside, they end up giving stellar performance, and I'll never be able to find another box for the rest of my life?
    I think that may be #11 on the stone tablets that came off the mount with Moses. It's fine print and easily overlooked, but I'm convinced it's there. Like my hoard of Nosler Zipedo bullets. Down to my last 500 and facing another sod poodle season in the Southwest next spring. Heck, 500 won't get me through a week, but when they're gone, they're gone.

Anyone else even heard of Nosler Zipedos? You don't know what you missed.

Anyone else even heard of Nosler Zipedos? You don't know what you missed.
    You are showing your age

I shot small furry creatures with a .225 using Zipedos. Ever heard of a .225?

Catridges come and go, but the 6.5x66 and 30-06 are eternal