Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Moose - Proud Dad

Default 1st Moose - Proud Dad

Just returned from the first moose hunt with my daughter intending to do the shooting. She was a real trooper and when the time came she was calm and collected. 1 shot at 125 yards with her 30-06 and the work began. She had to work through the tall grass to get a good shot but she took her time and made a perfect lung shot in one side and out the other with little to no meat damage. We had an "any moose" tag and I asked her if she wanted to hold out for a bull but she wanted to fill the freezer and wasn't going to pass on a legal moose.

She rolled out of bed at 5:30 AM on opening day and was done by 6:15 AM. Hadn't even finished her 1st cup of hot chocolate when we spotted the cooperative moose. I have been on a lot of moose hunts but this one has to be at the top of the list.

She even managed to stay on top of the school she was missing by getting some homework done as well as taking some time to catch a few pike.

Awesome. While my 14 y.o. daughter didn't connect on our four days of hunting so far, the time spent in the woods with her was priceless. I took the time to teach her about aging tracks, paying attention to the wind, and how glassing can save a lot of shoe leather. Until you start teaching someone you don't realize all the little details we learn through our hunting lives.

If I don't connect on my archery moose tag next week we will head out for another few days with her.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Raven,
    Heartfelt congratulations to you both.

Time afield, done right, teaches life lessons and makes for strong children. Your daughter will treasure this trip forever.

Nice! What size rifle did she use? Sounds like a prefect hunt!

One shot with the old OUGHT 6. A very good happy dad with a wonderfull daughter.Its folks like ya'll that make this country great.My hats off to both of you

Default Good Times

From one "proud dad" to another, I couldn't be more happy for you. I loved those pictures... all of them. Beware though, you may never be able to wipe that smile off your face. Please pass my congratualtions to that awsome daughter of yours! Best regards,
    Rick

I would like to extend my congrats on a memorable and sucessful hunt. That has go to make Ole Dad Proud. I am very Happy for Her. She will be hooked now,

Gene

ooops, skipped right past it! Tough girl!

Congrats to both of you! Makes me proud and anxious to get my daughters in the field hunting with me. My oldest is 8 and tags along sometimes, but I look forward to the day that she can be the shooter and mom lets her go on a more remote hunt with me.

Looks like you guys travel in comfort too!

Awesome, Congrats!!

Default congrats

nicely done!!!! looking forward to taking my son out in a couple years....

Right On! Am hoping to get my 10 year old son at least a chance to see a moose while we're out, lots to learn here in Ak. for dad and the kids.
    Paul

Raven,

Congratulations to your daughter, love hearing stories of the kids getting involved. Good work on your part, Dad. And that is one helluva hunting rig setup you have there too.

I'm 15 now and hoping to soon have a story of similar success too post. If i can finally just connect with a legal moose. Great job your daughter will remember this a lot better than you will know, little details and such

Outstanding, congratulations to you both.

Thanks for the comments and replies. She had a great time and is hooked, she said she is going next year period. All the practice paid off when it came time to shoot, you couldn't even tell she was excited until afterwards and then she was shaking from the excitement. Wouldn't trade that moment for any other I have had hunting.

Few more pictures from the trip:

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    ooops, skipped right past it! Tough girl!
    She has a Winchester Model 70 that we had the stock shortened, added a Pachmayr recoil pad and a muzzle brake. Makes it a little loud but is a pleasure to shoot other than that, I just make sure she has her hearing protection handy. The recoil is minimal and she will shoot 10 or 15 rounds at a time at the range without any discomfort. She shot the moose from a sitting position using her knee for a rest. The scope also has a lot of eye relief to assure that isn't a problem.

That is AWEsome! Congrats to you and your daughter, no doubt you're very proud and have every reason to be! When you're an old fart in about 30 more years you'll really treasure the pics and memories of this hunt.

Thumbs up Yeehaw!

Way to go. Beautiful girl, beautiful pics, proud Papa. I cherish the hunts I had with my 2 daughters.

Fantastic ! Sounds like you have a terrific daughter and certainly a memory of a lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast