Thread: Moose Hunt the Koyukuk

Default Moose Hunt the Koyukuk

We drew a tag for DM830 and this is my first time to hunt the Koyukuk. Any advice is very much appreciated. I went on a hunt down the Yukon past Galena last year. I met some nice guys from wasilla at Galena that got some big bulls. I am very excited - leaving next week. My tag is for the later hunt. How far up the river should we go? I hear the river is really low this year. We are in a woolridge jet boat and will be taking a zodiak with small motor. Thanks again for any information you can provide.
    Tim

How much gas can your boat carry on deck?
    Tennessee

My boat has a 60 gallon tank and I am planning on carrying 60 gallon. Is that enough or to much?
    Tim

Default not near enough

There is nowhere to buy gas below Galena. Well maybe the village of Koyukuk, but I don't know anybody who stops there. I strongly suggest you get some maps, figure distance, time, and fuel needs. Remember, regardless of the motor you have, you'll use a lot more fuel than you are used to as you will be fairly heavy.
    From Galena to Upper 3 Day I'll carry about 300 gallons of gas. We run pretty fast, so I plan on 6 hours one way, 12 hours round trip, plus gas to move from spot to spot to hunt.

Default how much gas?

I run a 115 Yamaha with a prop. I need 90 to 100 gal to get from the bridge to Galena. 10 hrs at 31 mph. No more gas after Galena. I leave Galena with about 260 gal. That gets you up the Koyukuk and back to Galena. Jet boats are usually harder on fuel. Doesn't sound like you have anywhere near enough fuel with 120 gal.

We went up the Koyukuk last year, probably further than most. I carried 285 gallons on deck, 40 in the tank. I didnt have enough to run around during the day as much as I wanted to. This year once we refuel at Galena I will have 325 gallons plus the 40 in the tank to last until we get back to Galena. My running partners carry 400.

You have my number, give me a call if you want to discuss the hunt!
    Tennessee

Default mmore gas...

I think you need lots more fuel. DM830 starts about 70 miles up the Koyukuk. The Koyukuk is about 30 miles or so from Galena. Do the math. You probaly know the burn per MPG on your boat. Don't plan on getting gas any where once you leave Galena. Your next gas stop will be your return trip to Galena. In 2007 I went 170 miles up the Koyukuk. My boats tank holds 156 gallons and I packed another 120 gallons. I figure I use a gallon every 2 miles. Think it over and good luck.

Last Koyukuk trip I carried 215 gallons from Galena up. The xtra 15 was for the skiff to run around with. We returned to Galena with a little extra but not that much. Was running a 22' with a 200hp two stroke.
    With more fuel on board you might run a little slower, but not as slow as when you run out of fuel. Good luck up there, I'll be in a 24' Sea Ark with a big cabin on it, running down river about the 15th. See you there.
    When is everyone else headed down?