Thread: Returning from deployment and would like to hunt

Default Returning from deployment and would like to hunt

I am returning from an Afghanistan deployment in mid Oct. I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction to go hunting for when I get back. I won't be able to go until the beginning of Nov and I am interested in Caribou. The problem I have is, I don't know when and where would be good to hunt, getting tags will be for what ever is open when I get home. The net is extremely slow, so trying to download the regs takes forever if it doesn't time out and the getting access has been extremely limiting. What I am looking for is a hunt that has fairly easy access that I can drive too from Anchorage. Any and all suggestions would be extremely helpful.

If you could get to Wrangell i would put you up and take you deer and bear hunting.Deer are open till the end of november

I really appreciate the offer, I will shoot you an email.

Default just my thoughts

I got home from a deployment 2 years ago at the same time. I would recommend black bear hunting. You have the hope area--bought a 90+ min drive, as well as anything south of anchorage. I shot my first black bear on the Ft Rich side that has a golf course----I would drive the road all the way to the top===right before the ski area there is a pull off to the right---with a gate---park and walk the trail on the other side of the gate--take it 1/2 way up and start skirting around the hill, find a good place to get out of the wind and glass that whole valley---plenty of black bears there.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhuntinfool View Post
    ----I would drive the road all the way to the top===right before the ski area there is a pull off to the right---with a gate---park and walk the trail on the other side of the gate--take it 1/2 way up and start skirting around the hill, find a good place to get out of the wind and glass that whole valley---plenty of black bears there.
    I always thought you needed to be drawn to hunt FT Rich. So never looked into very much. Do you go past the mil reservation walking back or are you still on the mil reservation?

I have looked at Hope a few years ago but never been there around Nov to see how things are. Might be worth checking out once I get back

Eod138:

I appreciate and respect your chosen field of expertise; representing and defending our country while abroad. You have my utmost gratitude.

In terms of November hunts in Alaska, I recommend putting your vehicle on the State Ferry which travels back and forth between Homer and Kodiak and, doing a Sitka blacktail deer hunt on the Kodiak road system.

Black bear hunting south of Anchorage during the month of November is going to be hit-and-miss (at best), because most bears are in the den at that time.

Rob

I think they mean going back past the Ft Rich boundary on the Biathalon trail that takes you onto the Chugach State Park land. I was wondering what the rules are for people carrying a fire arm across the Ft Rich property even if you have a recreation pass?? Anyone know?

I am also a new military member here in Alaska. I have been dying to go hunt but, just can't find anyone to hunt with or to point me somewhere to hunt that you don't have to fly to or pay tons of money that I don't have. So hit me up when you get back if you need someone to hunt with.

Chris