Thread: Killey Bou Hunt

Default Killey Bou Hunt

Flew in Monday,Started hunting on Tues. morning.Glassed up decent bear,and a good caribou bull.My partner and his 9 year old son took the bear a good sow,no more cubs for that one.Another buddy and his 11 year old son and I went to get a closer look at the bull.He spotted another bull with two smaller bulls,they were on the move and farther away than the first bull.I passed on the closer bull,he went and took the bull.I gave chase on the other bull to get a closer look.Got some good looks after about a mile of parrelling and decided to give him a try.

He bedded in a doable spot,and belled off in the hole,played the wind and snuck up to a large rock,seen him through the brush still bedded.Crawled to my left slowly rose up and took him in his bed @ 37 yards,kinda of a stretch for the Kimber 300 wsm.180 gr. Swift Scriacco.It did a phenomal job,through the neck and through the opposite shoulder blade and stopped in the skin.
    Will have weights for it and my sheep bullet here soon,they both look great,sheep was @ 355 yds.

Mountain Hardwear Witer Wander pants were awesome,Rain jacket could've used a new coat of DWR,Patigona R-1 pullover did great along with the trusty old Mont Bell Therma wrap coat.Some fine German and Austrian glass always makes things enjoyable.Used my Barneys Pinnacle.Asolo boots,OR gaiters.

Had a great hunt,very demanding physically.Both knees are shot gonna have to get them checked out.

I will try to upload some pics,haven't figured out yet.

Thumbs up

Great hunt for all involved! Congratulations! Good eats and a nize fuzzy blanket to boot. I'm guessing you must have been more than 37 yards tho. A win short mag at that distance would hardly be getting up to speed and not stopping in any caribou hide.

Nope 37 yds,was very supprised to see it.

Fun.

Taking the 9 and 11 year olds was a cool deal for your friends, I bet those kids are into the game now.

Great write up.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Cheers

Way to go Coues. That's a hunt I've always wanted to do. Are those Witer Wander pants waterproof? Insulated? Lightweight?

MH Winter Wanders are windproof,DWR,Not too hot,didn't need any long johns,great pants and pretty cheap and tough,I'll be buying two more pair.

Could someone post pics for me, if I email them?

Thanks

Default Scirroco

Those Scirrocos are awesome. I use the 165's in my 300WSM and they've performed great on caribou, moose, black bear, sheep, and grizzly. Accurate and hold together well. Congrats.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Smile How is this?

I was the partner with the nine year old son. This is coues with his bull.

Smile Here's the bear

Default awesome

wow - great stuff...get kids into hunting! Keeps them outta trouble, teaches them life lessons, PRESERVES THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT! I cannot wait to get my lil' girl and son out in a few years!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Thanks,it must be a Polish thing.

Nice caribou, Is that a double shovel? Looks like you had a great hunt.

Smile Here's another one

Smile Bullets

The recovered Swift Scirroco bullets that coues mentioned weigh 158.4 grains for 88% retention (sheep) and 155.8 grains for 86.5% retention (caribou). Both beautiful textbook mushrooms. A quick reply to 257wby, a bullet does not gain velocity the further it gets from the barrel, WSM or no WSM. The bullets leaving coues's Kimber Montana are going a "chronied" 2950 f.p.s. At a laser shot 37 yards they are going to be a little slower than that but close. At that velocity a bullet has a more violent upset than it would at longer range and slower velocity (depending on where it hits the animal, i.e. bone, etc.) if all variables were the same. Therefore, the bullet at close range will shed weight quicker and have a larger frontal (if it stays together) both of which will cause a bullet to slow down quicker in the animal. Put the thick neck hide of a caribou into the mix and you have a recovered bullet just under the hide on the opposite side.

Congrats I hunted that area last year and brought back some great memories.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Yes, it is a double shovel.

Default Nice Country

How far did you have to pack your meat? Did you fly into Harvey Lake? Looks like a great hunt for all of you.

coues32, sent you a p.m. but it says your inbox is to full to accept new messages. congrats on a smoker bull. shane. do you have the first or second nov. coues hunt?

4 to 5 mi. pack,

Cleared my PM, first Nov. hunt.Verry happy with my bull.

Daniel