Thread: Juneau Fishing Labor Day Weekend?

Default Juneau Fishing Labor Day Weekend?

What are Juneau people planning on doing fish wise over this Labor Day weekend? I have seen and heard some people with double digit scores this weekend on coho if you can find them. I am personally going to try my luck on Halibut since that is what I need (going to try something different and head South instead of North).

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    What are Juneau people planning on doing fish wise over this Labor Day weekend? I have seen and heard some people with double digit scores this weekend on coho if you can find them. I am personally going to try my luck on Halibut since that is what I need (going to try something different and head South instead of North).

Sobie2
    Got a plan as to where to fish South? It's a long run from JNU to reach Hobart Bay, 5-Finger, Port Houghton, Pybus, etc. Do be sure to scout the bottom at DuPont if you do head that way. If Jeff hasn't had Heavy Thumbs out too much lately there might be a few 50-70s left lingering !

Personally, I'll have the CanCan on the 125 looking for marlin or bluefin tuna!
    - Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sobie2
    Grace and I are going to paddle around in the canoe ... might goof around with putting lines in the water.

I told her that I'd like to hook into a big halibut in the canoe, and she said, "THAT SOUNDS FUN!"

Oh yeah... I like this girl.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

[quote=soggymountain;570026 oh yeah... I like this girl.[/quote]

duh!.......
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-05-2009 at 20:52. Reason: simile

Sobie2
    So I take it the Coho's are here now? I'd like to take my son fishing for them, where from the shore can you find them in Juneau/Douglas? He'll be the only one fishing I have to wait till Feb then I'll be a resident.

Thanks for any info!

P.S. What a beautiful...warm day it was here today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VanSlam View Post
    So I take it the Coho's are here now? I'd like to take my son fishing for them, where from the shore can you find them in Juneau/Douglas? He'll be the only one fishing I have to wait till Feb then I'll be a resident.

Thanks for any info!

P.S. What a beautiful...warm day it was here today!!!
    Any deep water you want to try will be worth wetting lines.

I picked up a small silver off of Pt. Louisa fishing from shore 3 or 4 days ago.... it's a pretty hard spot to fish, but, it is nearby.

Lena Pt., N. Douglas, The Shrine, or, you might try out by Yankee or Sunshine Coves.

Should be thinking about Kowee soon too since I think the bulk of the run is through out in the salt save for DIPAC.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Pt. Louisa is great for shore salt fishing for cohos now, and yes way out the road Cowee Creek is going!

My adventure south was basically a bust but the water was glass calm and we got a 3 hr long whale breach show. Though the halibut never showed for me.

Sobie2

Went out Friday evening after work. Good thing, cuz Sat was a windy mother.

Did fish high tide on Saturday in a semi-protected cove. Blew off the anchor twice, but the kid picked up a 60"/50#er within 5 minutes of anchoring up the first time.

Fished Sunday down near Pt. Coke and got some ice and a 30#er

Caught a 32" king late Mon morning on the way back to town.

Great sunsets on Friday and Saturday night!

I totally know that spot :P

Nice fish!

This is another good beach to fish halibut off of . . .

I'm sure Case has fished there before.

Throw in another cool sunset shot . . .

Some nice pics - Looks like you guys had a good time....I cant wait to have my boat in the water for next season...

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    This is another good beach to fish halibut off of . . .

I'm sure Case has fished there before.

Throw in another cool sunset shot . . .

Beautiful!

Dynamite photos LG.

I never fished that far south, but, I would have if I had gotten my canoe in the water on June 1.

Quite a run, but, what a beautiful area.

Grace caught a flounder (a very small one) that she wanted to keep and eat.... I hope she enjoys it!

The conversation went like this:

"Can I keep it?"

"For what?"

"To eat."

"You might be able to make a sandwich out of it, but why not let it go?"

"It's hurt."

"That's what happens to small fish... they get hurt. He'll grow out of it."

"But I don't want him to suffer."

"Fine, if you want to eat it, okay."

"He's suffering."

"Yup."

"Should I kill it?"

"You can."

"How?"

"He's small.... punch him in the head or stab his head with the knife.... I don't know....I let them go."

The next thing I heard was my tackle box being used as a hammer to smash the already flat fish into a pancake. And, I'm thinking outloud about how he's not suffering after a safe drops on him like a roadrunner cartoon and smashes him into the floor of the canoe.... over, and over, and over again.

One big rep for Grace.