Thread: You choose: Yukon River by Circle or Tanana River by Big Delta

Default You choose: Yukon River by Circle or Tanana River by Big Delta

If given the choice, which is better for a 5 day hunt in a 15 ft. Zodiak with a 20 hp prop?
    1. Tanana River from Big Delta down to Fairbanks ... when the north and east side of the river is "any bull", but no caribou allowed since we don't have permits. We have family in Fairbanks to shuttle the truck.
    2. Up the Yukon River from Circle ... this is an "any bull" area, and up to 10 caribou. Parking at Circle seems iffy, but going upstream and floating back is nice.

I've float hunted the Tanana before, and part of me wants to see new territory ... and since I've not seen the Yukon yet, well, I'm really leaning that way. But a few people have said it looks like the moose numbers aren't as high there. So I bring this decision to you. Our rig heads north in 6 days.

What would you choose and why?

Some other questions:
    1. Is there a big difference between moose numbers in the Tanana river areas versus the Yukon above Circle?

2.What about population of hunters on each river? I know Tanana has traffic, but I've never been to the Yukon. How does it compare?

3. On the Steese Hwy to Circle and then up the Yukon River itself (about 60 miles) how likely are we to see caribou?

thanks guys

Default New Territory..

Is what i like to see. Especially if the trip is more important than the harvest. I have no experience with either river so i cant exactly give you numbers. I personally would go with the Yukon due to the fact it seems like it would be a little more remote. I could be wrong though, My x wife told me how i was wrong all the time... but what did she know...

Default How far from North Pole is Circle?

I see you are in North Pole. That is our layover one night at my brother-in-law's house. How long of a drive is it to Circle from there? Ever hear of people getting moose or caribou off the road?

I'd love to start our float with meat hanging back at the house.

Default Burned over?

I've heard that along the Yukon and Birch Creek near Circle has been burned. Anyone know how it was affected this year?

Default burn

Burned all the way up to circle.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTobias View Post
    I see you are in North Pole. That is our layover one night at my brother-in-law's house. How long of a drive is it to Circle from there? Ever hear of people getting moose or caribou off the road?

I'd love to start our float with meat hanging back at the house.
    You could make it in 2 1/2 to 3 hours...depending how you drive.