Thread: Berries???

Default Berries???

Ok, there I was walking through the beautiful woods of AK hunting moose. Berries all around me, tempting me and my childhood memories. So many berries and so many different types. Only one did I recognize for sure and indulged myself with. The others, not knowing stayed put. I've since identified all but one of the other types and need help figuring this one out. What is this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whitetail1der; 09-04-2009 at 08:30. Reason: Add picture

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    Ok, there I was walking through the beautiful woods of AK hunting moose. Berries all around me, tempting me and my childhood memories. So many berries and so many different types. Only one did I recognize for sure and indulged myself with. The others, not knowing stayed put. I've since identified all but one of the other types and need help figuring this one out. What is this?
    First pic: Strongly resembles a Northern Commandra/Timberberry (Geocaulon lividum). From page 8 of the Alaska Wild Berry Guide and Cookbook - "inconspicous plant of open forest floor. To 8 inches. Orange-red berry ripens in late summer. Leaves, light green at flowering stage, may or may not turn rusty, burgundy red as berries ripen depending on the individual specimen and locality. From upper Cook Inlet through out the Interior, south and east in to Yukon Territory, northern British Columbia and across Canada to the Eastern Seaboard. Edible, but rarely collected."

Second pic: Same Timberberry! (Red berries in lower part of pic are lowbush cranberries...)

I concur it does look like a timberberry (Geocaulon lividum) but I'm not familiar with it at all and couldn't find any info about it until you mentioned the name Crabby

Thanks for the info! Both pictures were meant to show the same berry...the one I had in question. Here are a couple of pics of the other berries that I swam in while walking the woods.

I did however find these timberberries in the woods next to the house this afternoon. They are scattered in small numbers and hidden among the larger numbers of bunch berries. The berries themselves are indistinguishable .

I might add, all I saw were bear signs while moose hunting. I guess if I were a bear I'd hang out where I was too. Desert was delicious