Thread: who fly fishes fur silvers?

Default who fly fishes fur silvers?

I'm not sure if i'm doing anything wrong. I don't think i am. I'm not spooking fish by wading out too far and i'm working some great water on foot here on the kenai's middle river around sterling and sometimes i go into soldotna, and i can't even get a bow to hit me.

Fishing sure is funny sometimes. Last week, i started fly fishing for silvers for the first time this season. I hook 2 in one day and the next day had a hot fish break my hook. all 3 fish liked my articulated orange flesh fly but after 10 more trips out not even a grab.

I wonder if many of them books on fly fishing alaska, are but mostly hype. After all, they are written to make money too. i haven't hooked a fish on the flash fly since coming to alaska in May of 2004. i seem to hook kings fairly frequent when they are in but silvers....hmmm, they really have a way for me to find discouragement. I release them anyway but my take is there just isn't a lot of fish in the river, plus sight fishing isn't much of an option most of the time.

perhaps i really need to be out there at dawn. i tend to fish when i wake up but i've hooked silvers mid afternoon. mostly when it's windy or raining. i also like to throw spinners and soak eggs but i like the c hallenge of hooking silvers on a fly but i never thought it would be so spotty for me.

anyone have a go to fly that works consistant for you? Again, big river, and need to be there at the right time i suppose especially between runs.

im throwing purple and black leeches, a few variations of flash flies, egg suckers, popsicles attracted a nice dolly weeks ago but i can't even hook a rainbow. today i had a rainbow come up and check out who was tossing big flies down into a deep hole. ME! : ) bows are smart. that 20" or so critter just came up and saw my boots in the water and swam off.

i enjoy just being out but would sure like to hook silvers more consistant. i'm in the water column but i guess it's why it's call fishin not catching. i feel like i'm on a lonely pursuit of percentages that just don't add up.

If not already, try to wet fly swing a type III-IV 10-14 foot sink tip and a #2 purple egg sucking leech with pink head. If you can't catch a silver with that, take up golf

Joking of course man. Check out this fly....

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

My favorite book on flyfishing Alaska is Troy Letherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." and it is available on the forum store under the fishing section. Amazon of course sells it also. Great book and I suggest it to anyone flyfishing in Alaska.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Custom fly

If you tie flies try this. I slayed them on the little sue in the last 2 years with it. Take like a 2 size hook, wrap a black chenile body, put some silver rib on it, tie in some black hackle at the head and put some mean lookin red wings on it. I have no idea why i ever tied it but it seems to work really well, strip it fast with a few really slow strips in between.

Good luck! I will post a pic if I can take on later.

cool, that egg sucking bunny leech i have used it only in pink for silvers. so far nothing. i think i still have one mixed in with the ones i tied but i tied mine without the big eyes. I was looking for silver chrome barbell eyes but over here at trustworthy, they only had lead, painted silver. the barbell eyes are too big for what i want to tie but for 1.69 for 10 i grabbed them.

i'm using my 7wt rod with a rio aqua lux clear head and teeny 400 for the deeper faster water and i'm chuckin it. i'm keeping my hands either clean or scented with anise and i also use anchovy and or sardine on the drop of my flies.

but then...someone would say...ah! that's not fly fishin... a little dab a day should help. anyway, who cares, nobodys lookin. thanks for troy's book. those guys fish all over the state and they have much more opportunity to hit different waters. i had silvers rolling in front of me this morning giving me the fin but the spoon throwers weren't hooking up either. if i had a shotgun and it was legal i could have had my limit of mallards.

i really wish i had a great job instead of fishing. you guys in fairbanks have so many more jobs. this place in kenai is a joke. why i moved back is for the fishing but first chance i get i'm ready to give it all up and get up to fb and get a real life, with a good job so i can get a boat again and hunt ducks.

Default Try yarn flies

I've had good luck with dark yarn flies in the Russian and just downstream on the Kenai. I used dark yarn so the reds won't attack and have pulled silver out of schools of spawning reds on numerous occasions.

Rainbows and dollies will also take the dark flies. If legal put a bead in front of a dark yarn fly - an easy egg sucking leech.

At times I've also used white or slightly off white colors with good sucess.

I generally stay away from bright colors anymore - they appear to scare the fish more that attract them. If spawning reds are around the males will actually attach the bright colored flies- I have watch them do it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

thanks, i'll remember that. i was gonna give it a rest but today, i actually did tie on white. i remember going to a moving sale in 2004. my first summer here and this guy who had passed away had a great garage full of fly fishin stuff. he had so many white flies t hat he tied and i asked his son and he told me white is all his dad ended up using. I guess white is different and can resemble a lot. had i used white all morning i may have hooked up and been excited.

we just have to keep fishin. guess i am disapointed because it's hard enough fishing a glacial river but if rainbows can see a small sockeye bead and if a silver can hit a spinner, and if a king can hit my big black leech on the Kasilof, a silver can again hit the right fly with a little scent.

i tied on a coated bead and got nibbles on every cast. maybe i need to change my beer

I was up there about a week and half ago and fished mainly beads for trout. And I was surprised how many silvers took the beads! Just a thought. We were fishing the Kenai just below the confluence, and also the sanctuary portion of the Russian.

hi Randall, thanks fur that. i was up there last week on foot but didn't hook a dang fish. beads, and flesh flies and no bites. Glad you had a good trip. the upper kenai is paradise indeed. i just love walking t hrough the forest and the river is teaming with fish. it's all happening and is good for the soul i hope to get me a pontoon boat for next year

Quote Originally Posted by honker View Post
    and is good for the soul

You said it man. It is indeed!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Try Clouser minnow flies. Work better than most in Kodiak waters. Try in black, dark green, chartr, pink, orange, brown, ect. Silvers are aggressive and spend their whole life chasing and eating small fish!

Good luck.

yeah no kidding. i'm stripping in my flies like i did when i lived down south striper fishing. i remember my black lab would lift both front legs off the boat floor up and down with each strip as she anticpiated another striper strike i sure miss my dog. had to put her down last March and i think of her, remembering her when i'm fishin for silvers.

About Kodiak, and fishing minnow clousers, a friend of mine from Sparks, NV also told me how clousers worked well on Kodiak. he'll be here this week and we will be fishing together.

spent a few hrs casting dalie lamas in prime silver water without a strike. that's it....no fish in the holes when i'm there. no luck at all. Today i had a can of beer in my waders compartment and the dang thing tipped over. How i don't know it was in a nice tight spot and my cell ph. got destroyed.

i even changed my clothes putting on my shadowgrass waders, shadowgrass huntin shirt and my drake huntin hat. still no fish. tomarrow i'm gonna bring my air lucky mallard spinning wing decoy on the pole and stick it in the sand and start fishin. piss on it!

if that doesn't bring me out of my slump im giving up the fly rod for a while and going duck hunting

Any golf courses on the Kenai?

i've been trying to get my uncle from Oregon up here. Birch run course in soldotna, is waiting for him