Thread: Love that 35

Default Love that 35

I recently got back into reloading after a 3 yr hiatus and one of the first guns I started to work up loads for was my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

I loaded a few and popped one in the trap at work to make sure all was well before cranking out a couple of boxes with precious powder and primers. As I had no feeding issues and zero pressure signs I went forth and loaded up a boxfull with the Speer 220gr flatnose and a medium charge of 3031. And off to the range I went.

Now I've had this rifle since forever and have used it on some game but never loaded for it and when a friend of mine did some loading for this rifle he only used Hornady 200 roundnoses or various pistol bullets for plinking. The rifle always shot "Good nuff" and I just left it at that, so imagine my suprise when the first 5 shots @ 50 yds with ghostring sights went into a later measured group of somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Icould noot believe my eyes it was one ragged hole.

I have always had a thing for the 35Rem and knew seveeral old timers back home who used it to great effect on deer. Now I really like it and it looks like I know whats following me to the bait station next spring.

Anyone else load for this cartridge or even use it?

Kid 35 rem aint no Alaska cahtridge...thats what ya use in Pa

It's a fun round in a fun gun. I've only had my 336 for 20 years or so, but I've used the caliber steadily in other models over the last 40 years. In fact I've taken deer with it in all three west coast states plus Alaska. Nothing fancy about it, but within its range I'll take it over the 30-30 any day. I don't think my 336 is quite as accurate as yours, but it too speaks well of the model.

As a matter of fact I've probably taken more game with the 35 Remington in a TC Contender than in any rifle. All deer, except for one elk. And all were one shot kills.

Long as you're getting into reloading for it, take a hard look at the RCBS cast 200 grain FNGC. That's such an outstanding performer on both paper and game, you may never put another jacketed round through it. My pick for jacketed performance on game has always been the Remington 200 grain Corelokt. Classic mushrooms, reliable penetration and dead deer.

Kills 500lb black bear and 1000 lb moose very very well and has done so for 100 years get the picture.

My go to load is 39.5grs of H4895, rem brass, fed 210m primers, and the 200gr rem CLRN. 39.5 to 40.5 will get you 2140 to 2220fps. The rem is the best for deer hands down for the right combination of expantion and penitration. I have used the 220gr speer on deer at 2030fps and it lacks expantion for deer but will go through a deer from end to end. Its a great elk and moose bullet and bear as well if its over say 300lbs if not use the CLRN. In the 356win the 220gr is the best and have taken Grizzly and buffalo.

Nothing the rem wont kill at say 100 yards that my 358win or whelen can. Its the bullet and it impact velocity that matters not what cartridge it came from. The other two are well provin to work in AK they just have more range than the venrable 35rem.

PA has bigger black bears than AK does largest in NA in size per age.

I must point out and in fun PA has bigger black bears than AK does largest averge size per age. 400 plus in just four years 500-600-700lb er's are taken quit regular

SKip the hornady RN's and just buy the REM CLRN bullets from Midway the rem is more reliable for expansion near or far and its weight retension.

There have been a few posters here that took AK moose at ranges past 200 yards and where very impressed using the hornady LE ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by brownbear View Post

long as you're getting into reloading for it, take a hard look at the rcbs cast 200 grain fngc. That's such an outstanding performer on both paper and game, you may never put another jacketed round through it. My pick for jacketed performance on game has always been the remington 200 grain corelokt. Classic mushrooms, reliable penetration and dead deer.
    check out marlin owners web site. Ranchdog has had custom molds made just for the 35rem. Improvements to the rcbc i beleive. And lots of reloading advise for the rem and any 336 cartridge 25-45cal.

Glad to here that I'm not the only one who likes this old cartridge. And as stated by another member I too would take it over the 30-30 anytime. I knew an older gentleman back home who also used a T/C in 35 and said that it hammered every head of game he took with it "Lights Out". I really look forward to putting it to use on some Alaskan critters, and think that I may take it on my upcoming moose hunt as a spare rifle. Ole Elmer called it too light for moose and grizzly, but then again he also said that just about every other popular caliber was too light for most anything. Seems that if Elmer Keith had his way we would all be hunting deer with 378 WBY's and big stuff like moose would require at least an 88mm to put down.

Luckily most game that I've encountered hasn't read "Hell I was there".

Disclaimer : No disrespect was meant to Elmer Kieth, his extended family or his fanatical fans. Ihunt moose and brown bear with a 458 and agree with him on many things, just dont badmouth my 35 Rem.

Good move on the spare rifle. I'm startled how few people bring one on hunts. No matter what caliber/configuration I carry as a prime rifle, I've got a spare along too. Almost always it's a peep-sighted "brush" gun if my primary arm is a scoped bolt. If something happens to the primary gun, my spare is available. If the game turns out to be in close quarters where the primary isn't at its best, the backup really shines.

And mostly it's my 35 Rem on deer hunts. Too often to count it turns into my primary arm when the weather sours and the deer leave the ridges for deep brush. Lots of hunting pards would have traded me straight across when their ubermagnum flat-shooter and super scope was asked to hunt in very close quarters.

I'd shoot any moose, caribou, or black bear with it any day of the week. Within 100 yds. a speer hot-cor 220 grain flatpoint will do the trick just fine. If my 30-30 with a 170 grainer can drop a moose with one behind the shoulder.....followed by a quick flip of the wrist.....and one more in the lungs, I'd assume your 35 remington is surely up to the task. If you get a moose, caribou, or black bear this yr.....post the pics ALL OVER the AOD site just to rub it in a bit to all the nay-sayers who doubt your mild mannered 35.

I often carry my Mod 8 rem in 35 as a backup rifle and I wouldn't be afraid to use it on anything in Ak. I just haven't run into the armor plated critters that are supposed to be common now days and I don't take 500yd shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'd shoot any moose, caribou, or black bear with it any day of the week. Within 100 yds. a speer hot-cor 220 grain flatpoint will do the trick just fine. If my 30-30 with a 170 grainer can drop a moose with one behind the shoulder.....followed by a quick flip of the wrist.....and one more in the lungs, I'd assume your 35 remington is surely up to the task. If you get a moose, caribou, or black bear this yr.....post the pics ALL OVER the AOD site just to rub it in a bit to all the nay-sayers who doubt your mild mannered 35.
    10-4 will definately do so, if we score.

I'm also headed back to Oklahoma to spend Christmas with the family, and the 35 will be making the trip to take care of late season deer, late season cow elk, and hopefully a truckload of feral hogs (brought back a deer and 5 hogs on my last trip down).

hi kid; i used my .35 guide gun to double lung a cow elk at 248 lazer measured yards. she rolled at the shot, ran less than 60yds and piled up! the bullet (hornady leverevolution) worked like a champ and exited leaving a good blood trail. it wasn't needed.
    happy trails.
    jh

Awesome performance Pines, and a helluva shot I might add. I know that the 35 will take elk cleanly, My great uncle never used anything else and he took at least 6 elk that I know of with his Marlin 36 back in the 50s or 60's.

Default .35 guide gun??????????

Pinehaven...a real .35 GUIDE GUN, huh? That sounds fantastic. I have an early 1895G ported 45/70 and an old (1952) 336 in .35 rem and combining the two seems like another GREAT Marlin. Looks like a good load, too. Got to love those Marlins.

Default 35 Guide gun

I to have what I guess you could call a 35 guide gun. I put it together myself of course, starting with a 1970's vintage 336. I first cut the bbl and magtube down, with the bbl being cut to 17" as thats as far as the band would slide down the taper. Then I converted it to straight grip using a new lower tang and a buttstock from an 1895 CB so that I could have an uncheckered buttstock to go with my original forend. I added a big loop, trigger, ejector, mag follower,and front and rear sights all from where else but WWG. I also ported it and put on a Pachmeyer Decelerator pad. For the final touch I gave it a soft beadblast and reblued it for a nice matte finish.

I guess that Pines' rifle looks a little more like the 1895 guide and is a fine looking and shooting rifle from what I've seen here. But i got as close as I could with what I had to work with.

If I ever figure out how to load and post pics I'll put up some pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Awesome performance Pines, and a helluva shot I might add. I know that the 35 will take elk cleanly, My great uncle never used anything else and he took at least 6 elk that I know of with his Marlin 36 back in the 50s or 60's.
    thanks for your kind words...........i don't like long shots but had plenty of time because several elk were crossing a meadow. my two buddies used a nikon laser, so the distance was a known factor. it wasn't a "stunt", as i have been doing range work all summer.

on this day, for this shot, the difference between my .358 win and this .35 rem was moot.
    happy trails.
    jh

Mine is an actual guide gun 336D 18.5" ported barrel a special run just like the ltd stainless but in blue and with ports. It does not real need the ports but it makes it the same as the guide but very light weight.

Tried the XS peep sight for one year very nice, but swithched to a VXII 1-4x20mm and love that combination. Have heard the Ulatr dot 1" works very well too.