Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boat Launch at Susitna Bridge on the Denali Hwy?

  1. #1
    Member SuYentna Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Big Lake, Alaska
    Posts
    92

    Default Boat Launch at Susitna Bridge on the Denali Hwy?

    Looking for some insight from people that have launch there and where to park?

  2. #2
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    I do not know for sure and I may be talking out of line but the water levels may be too low up there right now. I don't know who to call either.

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    It's doable and not too bad. Launch on the NE shore, on the east side of the bridge. Park along the road or in a gravel pit a quarter mile to the east. Piece of cake.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Here is the number to Alpine Lodge (mile 68), advertiser here, they should be able to help.

    283-3775 I believe one of the caretakers names is Jennifer. Great place, great folks. Claude you got another hit. I hope all goes well this winter.

    Most times getting into the river is fine. It's when you stay out for a week or better and the weather turns cold that makes it difficult to return to the launch. If you have difficulty getting in the water it will only get worse days down the road.

  5. #5
    Member SuYentna Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Big Lake, Alaska
    Posts
    92

    Default Thanks for the info .

    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll heading out on Thur.

    I have a Airboat so long as I have little water than I'm good to go.

  6. #6
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuYentna Dave View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll heading out on Thur.

    I have a Airboat so long as I have little water than I'm good to go.

    You are good to go with an airboat.....just remember if going up river you are not allowed to hunt the controlled use area north of the bridge and the east bank of the river.

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    You are good to go with an airboat.....just remember if going up river you are not allowed to hunt the controlled use area north of the bridge and the east bank of the river.
    Agree on the airboat. But.....the law says you can hunt the Clearwater Controlled Use Area, all the way up to the East Fork, just above Boulder Creek, by boat. You just cannot leave the flowing water with the boat, into the CCUA. On the left side of the channel, you can use ATV, Plane, Boat the shortcuts and all. On the right hand side, you gotta use shanksmare, after you climb out of the boat. You will recognize the East Fork, as it necks down to a narrow slot. Some folks use lightweight jet boats and do just fine, but I recommend airplane or airboat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Agree on the airboat. But.....the law says you can hunt the Clearwater Controlled Use Area, all the way up to the East Fork, just above Boulder Creek, by boat. You just cannot leave the flowing water with the boat, into the CCUA. On the left side of the channel, you can use ATV, Plane, Boat the shortcuts and all. On the right hand side, you gotta use shanksmare, after you climb out of the boat. You will recognize the East Fork, as it necks down to a narrow slot. Some folks use lightweight jet boats and do just fine, but I recommend airplane or airboat.

    I am not here to nitpick, but I believe AKRes is incorrect in stating that the Clearwater Controlled Use Area can be hunted via boat, after getting out of the boat. The regulation book states that motorized vehicles can't be used to transport hunters, except on the Denali Highway (or from March 15 thru June 30). This would make it illegal to drive a boat up the river, get out and hunt the CCUA.

    Good Luck on your moose hunt, Dave. I saw more bear cubs than moose calves this year up there. I couldn't find a boar to shoot, though. Hope you get that big bull!

  9. #9
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    I am not here to nitpick, but I believe AKRes is incorrect in stating that the Clearwater Controlled Use Area can be hunted via boat, after getting out of the boat. The regulation book states that motorized vehicles can't be used to transport hunters, except on the Denali Highway (or from March 15 thru June 30). This would make it illegal to drive a boat up the river, get out and hunt the CCUA.
    Corn is correct. Just need to stay west of the middle fork of the Su. If you get on the East bank your had.

    Here is the link to the page

    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu13.pdf

    I use to hunt up that way a real lot and have been put on the grill by F & G about where we were hunting. All I will say is Thank You for the Invention of GPS. They always get a camp or two every year.

    Good Luck!!! I wish Iwas going. There are some nice moose to be had if you have horses. Then again need to have steady horses with all the bears back up there.

  10. #10

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    I am not here to nitpick, but I believe AKRes is incorrect in stating that the Clearwater Controlled Use Area can be hunted via boat, after getting out of the boat. The regulation book states that motorized vehicles can't be used to transport hunters, except on the Denali Highway (or from March 15 thru June 30). This would make it illegal to drive a boat up the river, get out and hunt the CCUA.

    Good Luck on your moose hunt, Dave. I saw more bear cubs than moose calves this year up there. I couldn't find a boar to shoot, though. Hope you get that big bull!
    Believe what you want, but the CCUA starts at the east bank of the Su. Call Cantwell Troopers if you want clarification on this regulation. It has been in place for years.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •