Thread: Lead through a Glock...

Default Lead through a Glock...

Finally got my DT ammo and haven't got my 6" aftermarket barrel yet. Would it be OK for me to shoot a few rounds through this thing, keeping an eye on buildup at the beginning of the rifling? I cant imagine this would be a big deal unless you had a steady diet of this stuff w/o taking a peek down the pipe once in a while...

With the lead bullets, I think I would wait for a barrel with conventional rifleing

Ditto. I know its tough, but resist.

my glock hates lead!!! That is the only time it has ever jammed, 5 rounds jam, 5 rounds jam, etc. I dont shoot lead because it's not worth the frustration. If your glock will shoot it go for it but mine hates it.

if you are going to shoot lead bullets though a glock ..get a aftermarket barrel for it and swap the standard barrel out for it ..to use in reloads as need ..

Default It is fine

I talked to the glock factory rep at the sportsman show. I told him I bought a KMM 6" bbl and he wanted to know why that and not the glock 6". I told him about the DT and in fact I didn't like the stock barrel. He claimed the factory barrels are the best there is. In the end he said I bought a fine barrel. BUT THE FACTORY BARRELS ARE FINE WITH HARDCAST! Check often for leading, clean more regular. He said mainly the soft stuff is the culprit of blowing barrels. BUT they have put NO LEAD in the manual for the general public. Plus the DT is gas checked and he said no problem at all, just keep an eye on the leading possibility.

Make sense to me. The average joe smoe would shoot 1000 rounds of soft lead, blow their hands off and sue. So they post it that in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    my glock hates lead!!! That is the only time it has ever jammed, 5 rounds jam, 5 rounds jam, etc. I dont shoot lead because it's not worth the frustration. If your glock will shoot it go for it but mine hates it.
    Hard cast lead? Or the squishy kind?

Gas checked or not?

200 grain WFNGC hardcast lead....

Hmm, guess I'll take both types of ammo now!

The only caliber that you really need to watch out for is the .40S&W as it has such high chamber pressures. Any leading in that cal can push you over the safe chamber pressure. There's very little chance that any bad would actually happen. That said, the harder the lead, the less potential for problems. Lower pressure cals like 9mm or 45ACP won't matter, as a general rule.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

There's a lot more to this question than just use hard cast or only the 40sw won't work. I have a Glock 21 45cal that will shoot lead of any hardness just fine. I have used several Glock 22 40sw that are very bad at leading. The 9mm can be a problem. Bullet hardness, too hard or too soft can cause leading. Improper bullet dia. can be an issue. The wrong lube can increase leading. Most Glocks can be shot with cast if everything is correct ( proper hardness,size,and lube and a gc may be needed )
    I don't know what cal your glock is but the 10mm is probably the worst followed by the 40 the 9mm and the most lead friendly is the 45.
    Don't assume that a Glock can't lead very badly in only a few rounds. I have seen the 40sw keyhole at 10yds after less than 10 rounds. So if your are going to try lead, only shoot 3 or 4 rounds before checking for lead build up. Be carefull as a Glock Kaboom is not funny

After reading all of these posts the common thread is a big maybe, be extra careful, check it often etc.etc.

So at the end of the day there is a potential problem, you don't know if you'll have it until you try. But be real careful and check often to find out.

Sounds like the ideal reason to spend a few bucks on a aftermarket barrel and not worry about it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    After reading all of these posts the common thread is a big maybe, be extra careful, check it often etc.etc.

So at the end of the day there is a potential problem, you don't know if you'll have it until you try. But be real careful and check often to find out.

Sounds like the ideal reason to spend a few bucks on a aftermarket barrel and not worry about it ever.
    Absolutely. Don't take chances to save a few bucks. You only have one body, but you can get together more $'s ...

Actually, the ideal solution is to just never use plain lead in a Glock. For cheap reloading, just use a plated bullet such as Barry's. You can't cast your own raw lead much cheaper (time + mtls) than you can buy commercial plated lead.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...843&hasJS=true
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You never did say what cal your Glock is. If it is a 45, you should be safe with cast. Mine shoots cast very well with no leading. If it's 10mm/40, then you have to be careful. The barrels smaller than 45 have 6 sided poly "rifling" while the 45's have 8 sided and run much lower pressure. The 8 sided barrel is more round so the bullet is disrupted less to fit the bore and going slower and with less pressure. All of these make the 45 barrels much less likely to lead. People say you can make cast bullets work in the smaller cals but I haven't tried so I don't know for sure. Shooting 2 or 3 cast rounds to check for leading is not going to hurt anything. As far as Berrys plated, they are good bullets but they cost about $145 per thousand plus shipping. My cast cost about $15 per thousand plus a couple hrs time.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    You never did say what cal your Glock is.
    Its a 10. No, didn't end up shooting any lead through her....gonna get the barrel...

I have shot thousands of rounds of cast lead through many different Glocks. Not soft lead but not BHN 22 either about Lyman #2, BHN 16ish with and without gas checks. In forty, ten and forty five mostly but some in 9x19. This with the Glock barrels. Some bullet shapes leave lead at the mouth of the chamber and for best results these designs should be avoided. I have not seen a Glock barrel particularly prone to leading in the tube but buildup in the chamber mouth and leade can cause chambering problems. More cleaning is required but good lube and clean propellants help a lot. I would certainly not hesitate to shoot hard cast BHN 21 bullets in the Glock barrel anytime. Generally a Glock chamber responds well to the correct taper crimp and some experimentation may be needed to get that right but I have shot a lot of cast bullets in Glocks. Certainly the 40, ten and the 9x19 are higher pressure than the 45 ACP or GAP (I've shot lead in that one also) and any build up of lead in the throat will cause pressures to rise but that is a neglected barrrel and asking for trouble and this will apply equally to a SiG, CZ, H&K or a custom 1911. Shooting lead always requires more and often different cleaning than jacketed ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ...Some bullet shapes leave lead at the mouth of the chamber and for best results these designs should be avoided...
    In particular??

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    In particular??

SWC's with full diameter front driving bands. If you use these seat them below the case mouth.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?