Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fish lakers

Default How to fish lakers

I got a boat this summer so I have been thinking about going out and fishing lake trout. I have fished for them in the winter but never summer.

I know where I can go I just dont know how to start? I havent the slightest clue where to begin? Do I troll? What tackle? Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    chris

You're picking a good time to start as they will be coming shallow to spawn over the next 6 weeks or so. Look for gravel points, shorelines, saddles and reefs that are in the 6 to 20 foot range. Trolling is the best way to find the fish. Troll using large spoons, quickfish/flatfish as well as herring rigged as you would trolling the salt for silvers (2-4oz banana weight + a Rhys Davis Herring rig) work well too. Once you have found a concentration of fish you can either continue to troll the area or stop and cast with spoons or jigs (white tube or hair jigs are best). If you have downriggers you can also troll herring behind flashers/dodgers or cowbells/lake trolls (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0011729&navCount=6&parentId=cat600178&m asterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat600178&parentType=index&indexId=cat600178&rid==)

This should get you started.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get started soon as I figured it would start heating up here shortly. I missed the chance when ice was first out so lets see if I can do it now.
    Thanks again

Anyone else fish lakers that would like to go out one day down here on the peninsula?

Wink

If you are considering Hidden Lake, you will need to fish it differently than say Lake Louise or Paxon. There is not enough bottom structure in Hidden, like there are in the interior lakes, that I have found. I personally believe the lack of structure limits the size and numbers of Lakers there as well. Although they have been there a long time, they aren't big and they aren't plentiful. My best method for Hidden Lake was using cut bait on the bottom. Deeper the better.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All my "normal gear" failed miserably at Skilak.

Find someone that fishes Skilak, Tustamena or Kenai Lakes with a king rod for lakers. Then kiss up, buy beer, paint their house etc, repeatedly.

there's absolutely no reason you cant fish them in the summer like you do in the winter....jigging spoons spinners and jigs works well!

i have only fished for lakers once on a whim driving by paxon lake i stopped at the campground and threw a line in the water from the shore as far out as i could where i saw one surface and i caught a pretty decent fish using kastmaster, im sure it not common since i always hear people say you need to troll to catch them

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If you are considering Hidden Lake, you will need to fish it differently than say Lake Louise or Paxon. There is not enough bottom structure in Hidden, like there are in the interior lakes, that I have found. I personally believe the lack of structure limits the size and numbers of Lakers there as well. Although they have been there a long time, they aren't big and they aren't plentiful. My best method for Hidden Lake was using cut bait on the bottom. Deeper the better.
    show's how little you know about hidden lk. hidden lk. has a thriving population because they feed on the resident kokanee and smolt. fishing there is excellent and has been at times.....more explosive for me than more remote lakes like crosswind, fish, or ewan lake. there is plenty of structure too. Although the size of the fish run a little smaller than what I catch up north, the "spots" that I've found on hidden have been phenominal.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    All my "normal gear" failed miserably at Skilak.

Find someone that fishes Skilak, Tustamena or Kenai Lakes with a king rod for lakers. Then kiss up, buy beer, paint their house etc, repeatedly.

Yeah, Skilak.....there's a challenge It's hard as heck to catch a laker out of there. You have to be a seasoned fisherman to catch the "Skilaker" The skilaker is perhaps the hardest fish to catch in all of Alaska. The skilaker has sent my fishing buddies home crying for their mommys. It took me two seasons to finally start nailing the skilakers.....man they are elusive!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yeah, Skilak.....there's a challenge It's hard as heck to catch a laker out of there. You have to be a seasoned fisherman to catch the "Skilaker" The skilaker is perhaps the hardest fish to catch in all of Alaska. The skilaker has sent my fishing buddies home crying for their mommys. It took me two seasons to finally start nailing the skilakers.....man they are elusive!
    Say do have any pictures of those elusive lake trout? Iv CRYED my mommy to sleep off that lake.

the guy is 6ft. 7in. he doesnt give them any credit. and....he's a fat snow machine crushing, out fish you with your own gear kinda guy. the thanks i get for taking a guy for his fist skilakers............ I got skunked.

Attached Images Attached Images

Wow those are nice, That was skilak? Hope this season will be that good to me too!!

the guy is 6ft. 7in. he doesnt give them any credit. and....he's a fat snow machine crushing, out fish you with your own gear kinda guy. the thanks i get for taking a guy for his fist skilakers............ I got skunked.

show's how little you know about hidden lk. hidden lk. has a thriving population because they feed on the resident kokanee and smolt. fishing there is excellent and has been at times.....more explosive for me than more remote lakes like crosswind, fish, or ewan lake. there is plenty of structure too. Although the size of the fish run a little smaller than what I catch up north, the "spots" that I've found on hidden have been phenominal.
    I know very little about Hidden Lake and admittedly so. So little that I never once found it to be "explosive". I did catch some lakers though in about thirty to forty feet of water off a point, using cut sardines.

Skilak has proven to be real dangerous, in winter for the places I know the lakers stake out. One time and one time only, we caught it just right and the ice was about ten inches thick, right at the mouth of where the Kenai dumps in. We caught several, but they were sorta like the ones in your picture, maybe 8 lbs or so. We used jigs tipped with herring that time.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default mainer...

go easy on people that suggest lakes that they say don't produce, or don't have the proper habitat for such fish, as they could be using reverse psychology in order to protect their honey hole... :P

Back in the good old days you could catch silvers in Seward, and then stop off at Kenai Lake on your way home (to Anchorage) and use the roe for laker bait.... I don't think that's legal anymore.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    go easy on people that suggest lakes that they say don't produce, or don't have the proper habitat for such fish, as they could be using reverse psychology in order to protect their honey hole... :P

Hey....I think ur right! Now that I look back.......I think the KP laker and the Skilaker are on the endangered species list! Come to think of it.......I don't think there is a single one left in all of the KP. But with jokes aside.....the next challenge is Tustemena......I'm gonna grit my teeth.......fire up the snow machine, pack up my custom insulated portable ice house made to live in.......and I'm GONNA FIND EM..........

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Back in the good old days you could catch silvers in Seward, and then stop off at Kenai Lake on your way home (to Anchorage) and use the roe for laker bait.... I don't think that's legal anymore.
    It is still legal to do this. I have done it many times, as well as stopping off at Trail Lake and doing the same thing. I never caught a laker over four pounds out of Kenai or Trail.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

i like hidden alot, not just for the fishing ( i havent done the best) but for the fact that its downright beautiful, especially in the fall. we love to camp on the islands and just take in the lake. when the wind isnt howling and the sun is beatin down on the water it just doesnt get any better. my 14' boat really likes that lake. the only laker i caught there was early this summer, about a 7 pounder, and awesome colors, we nailed him on a #4 red/white mepps aglia trolled about 150 feet behind the boat. what a fighter! only other fish ive caught there was a small dolly, and my buddy caught a fat kokanee while casting a spinner. i think it mite be time to get the boat wet one last time before winter, and thats where im thinkin. i could use some tips though

Are those big fish for Skilak?

Well I went out the other day to fish lakers....It was a very slow day. We left town early and made it to the lake around 6 when the first light was starting to show. Went out to a couple spots that I was told about and ones that I thought looked good, but had no luck. One of my problems was my motor on the boat idles to fast for lake trolling, so next time I will make sure and bring a small kicker for the boat.

Other then that we had a good time fishing the morning half of the day. Spent time trolling, and jiggin the bottom. This is going to be my new challenge so I will keep you updated till I get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast