Thread: game meat not back yet?

Default game meat not back yet?

It is a few days until it was supposed to be done anyway, but i figured i would call just to check before the weekend. Guess i just cant wait to try some as we havent had a moose for 4 years.

When you take your meat in to a processor to have Dogs and sausage made, do they do it themselves or is it sent out? reason i ask is that i called to see if it was done yet and was told it wasnt back yet. Back from where? I was told it would be my own meat back but how is that possible when sent out? Where do they send it?

Mayebe a little explanation would educate me so i understand the process.

thanks

Default Alaska Sausage

We took the moose that we shot last year to Shoprite in Wasilla. From there, they sent it to Alaska Sausage and Seafood in Anchorage and thats where the hot dogs were made. If im not mistaken, they did the sausage there at ShopRite.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Default ok. update and info

its always nice to follow up, though i didnt get alot of replies explaining how and whats the happenings when you take your meat into someone.

First you make calls asking if you get your own meat back and is it seperate from other meat. Most say no and that allthough you get most your meat, it may vary a little as they dont clean the machine between each customers batch, which makes sence.

Now, the person i decide to take my meat to says that yes, my meat is seperate and that i get my meat back. Then after i drop it off i learn that this person is only the middle guy, because he just takes his customers meat down to Indian Valley meats and they process his clientels meat on a certain day so its not mixed with any of their (Indian valley's) customers orders.

So, yes he will cut your steaks and roast and do your canned meats and keep those seperate. When it comes to sausage and hot dogs which is all i wanted, why did i just pay .25 more a pound when i could have taken it to Indian Valley myself and had it processed faster instead of waiting for him to consolidate mine and other hunters meat together. I had not one hair, spent extra hours to take out all the grissle in our meat, didnt have the hot weather that kicked in 4 days after season opened, and didnt soak meat in the river to cool it off. The reason i mention the soaking meat in river is that i met a lady that said her husbands meat was so hot they soaked in the river to cool it and then drove to Anch and dropped off to the same Co. i dropped mine to.

It didnt take 14 days like they said it would, it took 23 days!! So, next time im taking my meat directly to the guys that actually make it. My meat was consolidated with others which was false advertizing in my eyes to get me to bring it to XXXXXXX meat processing.

We ground our own hamburger, cut our own steaks, pressure cooked & canned our meat, cut our own stew meats and had a great time doing it. Aside from using the wrong company to make sausage, dogs, and terri sticks, i think we did ok.

So, next time INDIAN VALLEY directly, live and learn

Default Indian Valley

Took my son's first moose he shot to Indian Valley, had hot dogs ,terri sticks and hambuger made. Lady at the counter was very nice and told me that I would get our own meat back! Long story short, 12 days later we got our meat back. The terri sticks were so good my wife did'nt want to freeze them.

Indian Valley does not give you your own meat back. They tell you this, but in fact it does not happen. We not only know someone that worked there, but I watched as they took my meat a few years ago, out of the back of my truck and hung it on a meat "line" with nothing attached to it. Then they proceeded to hang another guys meat along side mine. I asked the guy how they would know which caribou was ours, he said "we don't" it all goes into the same batch!

Thats when we started using Lisa at Pioneer meats, and Shoprite for our breakfast sausage.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Huntress

that is interesting. Last year I dropped off 200#'s of meat that was boned out, and totally clean of membranes, etc. Absolutely clean meat. We got our usual jalepeno/cheese dogs made and they were sub par to the year before. This now makes me wonder as I do not drop off quarters, etc. I spend the time to clean the meat and know it is the best that a processor can have. They have to do NOTHING with it except thaw it and turn it into what it supposed to be. This seriously concerns me.

I'd look no further than Pioneer Meats. You get what you ordered and your own meat back.

northway, you can only imagine hubby's disgust when I called him on my way back from down there. He couldn't do anything about it either since I had just dropped him off at the airport to head to work. Sure, the product was pretty good but we had a hard time knowing that our meat wasn't our own. We had dropped off quarters, and as the kid stuck them on the meat hooks and hung them up that is exactly what he said to me.
    We haven't strayed from Lisa since. She has always been top notch, and she won't except anything if it even has a hint of dirt or smell to it.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    that is interesting. Last year I dropped off 200#'s of meat that was boned out, and totally clean of membranes, etc. Absolutely clean meat. We got our usual jalepeno/cheese dogs made and they were sub par to the year before. This now makes me wonder as I do not drop off quarters, etc. I spend the time to clean the meat and know it is the best that a processor can have. They have to do NOTHING with it except thaw it and turn it into what it supposed to be. This seriously concerns me.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default I second...

Pioneer Meats. Top notch, and the Pioneer Slims are addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    northway, you can only imagine hubby's disgust when I called him on my way back from down there. He couldn't do anything about it either since I had just dropped him off at the airport to head to work. Sure, the product was pretty good but we had a hard time knowing that our meat wasn't our own. We had dropped off quarters, and as the kid stuck them on the meat hooks and hung them up that is exactly what he said to me.
    We haven't strayed from Lisa since. She has always been top notch, and she won't except anything if it even has a hint of dirt or smell to it.

Huntress - does Pioneer have a website? I googled it but didn't come up with anything.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

As far as I know, dogs & sausages get ground together and you don't get your meat back, unless you order 90 lbs or more of one sausage. Bill in Eagle River processes the meat right there in front of you and sends the sausage stuff out.

Tim