Thread: Thompson Pass Double Billy Success

Default Thompson Pass Double Billy Success

Well me and the hunting partner won the same goat permit in 13d east. we hiked out on sat the 29th and got to our first camp with both of us having 62+ pound packs. It took us 10 hours to bust our own trail and make it between 4 and 5 miles. It was raining and pretty miserable to say the least. That was the last rain we got though, even though we expected it each day. Sun we spotted 4 goats across the mountain on the other side of the glacier. one billy 2 nannies and a kid. so we glassed the rest of the morning seeing no more goats. and set out for the base camp near where we saw them. Set up camp at 5100 feet that evening.

Day 3 we Woke up at 545 and set out for the goats at 615. I am scared of heights and we were traversing the ridge up to 5500 feet. This sucked. Thanks god for the lowe pro hunter boots. the only way to go. no other boot i have ever owned would last on a hunt like this. We spotted one goat bedded down around 8am. we were still well over 1000-1500 yards away. We knew we only had until 900 until they left their beds and fed to their day bed not giving us much of a chance. We closed the gap to 289 yards on the rangefinder. At this point the goats were moving up the mountain and we tried to get ready. A second later there were a total of 6 goats slowly starting to bed back down. 2 were butting heads and me and my partner watched. we both picked our goat. let our breathing calm, and they were quartering towards us bedded down.

On my shot me and the partner shot. long story short his went down the mountain 1500 yards and mine went 400 yards. My goat was the crazy part. I hit mine and then it got out of sight. well when i was hiking over to where i saw last i heard some noises above me. Well my goat was still alive bedded down in a great spot. I decided to finish it with one shot at 50 yards. well it had one more kick and right in front of us tumbled to its demise. It was a horrible sight. Took us the rest of the day to get the two goats packed back up to the peak. and we got the hides to the tent and the meat was about 400 yards up the mountain for safe keeping. The fourth day we hiked out and took the steep mountain chutes out to truck instead of busting brush and cut our time down to 5 hours fully loaded with all of our gear and 2 goats. This was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life. i am 21 and my partner is 30. we were pushed to our limits and at different times we both wanted to quit. we pushed through and suceeded. I never thought that two guys who have never done a mountain hunt would find the goats and on the first stalk bust two billies with horns about 7 inches.

Horn size means nothing to me as the hunt was so dang hard. Did i mention that neither of us have actually ever seen a goat in the wild. But i have learned a ton about mountain hunting and will be going again next season for a sheep. This truely was the greatest hunt i have ever done and will be tough to match. Though it was miserable alot of the times and i said i would never do it again, i will be out again. there is alot more to say but i have homework to complete. hope you all like the story and pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pictures

Default few more

pictures for you all

Default Congrats!

You are DARN lucky those were big adult billy's! You would not have gotten out in one trip! Congrats on your first goat though!

Default Smile

That right there is the finest mt. game meat you'll find. Tender and delicious.....expecially the way you tenderized it right away. Grin.

Just FYI the above poster is 100% correct. A big 8-10 yr old Billy would come close to being equal to the boned out weight of three of those small buddy billies.

You guys done real good. The skills you learn by powering and perservering through a hunt like that will take you a long ways to meeting your hunting goals. Watch out boys we've got a couple more live ones looking for a "good" sheep spot.

Hearty congrats!

Congrats to both of you! Did you guys start from the Richardson and walk in?

Default Great Job!

Props! You guys are studs. I can't wait for two more days and I heading down there. I am going solo into the other direction but in for same unit.

I love the fact you guys are hunting with what appear to be Weatherby rifles.
    The gunnin' is done with no scope eye.

Great job and an excellent way to respect the animals and not worry about horn size.

Best of luck with the eatin,

It, and our communion with the mountains is the reason we go!

Now if I can get this jetboil pcs stove going(that was easy) and get the rest of my gear packed.

Thanks for the motivation.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

yea we walked in from the highway. haha and the gun issue.. yes i carried a 10 pound rifle, scope, and 3 rounds in the rifle and 4 on the sling. its a mark V deluxe. And my partner carried his weatherby vanguard with a bell and carlson stock and a bunch of other mods on it. believe it weighed 9pounds like 8ish ounces with 3 rounds scope and sling. haha... i know heavy but we said we were not going to buy rifles for a hunt. it honestly was not that bad but i would like to drop the pack weight and not drag my weatherby against the rocks anymore. i do not care too much about beating my gear up because thats why i buy it, but i need a stainless, so im buying a tikka.. anyways sorry about the tangent.

Default Heavy huh

I just hauled up grandpa's old 721 for a goat this week. I winced a little when I took my first slide and gave her a good tap. Then when I laid her down on the rock for a shot, that left a mark too. It also is a 10 pounder.

So....how was that backstrap? I had mine tonight....and just to start a good argument
    I'm declaring it better than sheep. Honest I've had em head to head this year at my dinner table and all four girls and myself agree, Better.

Default Tikka, good choice

I bought a Tikka in .308 for my 1st goat hunt on Kodiak. I've used it on 2 goat hunts now and my sheep hunt this year, not to mention many other hunts when weight wasn't an issue. I love that gun. I'll bet my gun weighed at least 4 lbs less than my bro in laws gun this year.

Great double Billies!!! You guys had a lot of fun I can tell, and it will be a hunt you both will remember for a life time, Congrats.

About 30 years ago I read a ADF&G study that concluded that goat hunting had the highest hunter-to-harvested animal mortality rate!

Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Congrats to you both! Great story and pics too. I leave for my goat hunt tomorrow and you helped psyche me up!

thanks you guys. im glad you goat hunters enjoy it. im excited for next years hunt now that ive had a couple days to relax from my butt busting hunt. good luck on your hunts and im already piecing my gear back together for next years hunt

Default Goat Meat

I shot an 8" billy last year and the meat was incredibly tasty. I think this is because it was a young goat and it was pre-tenderized after tumbling about 1500 feet down the mountain. It was as good if not better than sheep. I've heard that older goats for the most part either taste rutty or are too tough. I can't say since my goat is the only goat I've eaten... but it was great table fare.

Great hunt guys, congratulations.