Thread: Truck Tires

Default Truck Tires

I will be in need of new tires before I move up to Kodiak next summer. I normally run with BF Goodrich A/T tires. Is there a different tread I should run? I am use to rain and sand, but not snow and ice. It will be on a 4x4 2500 Dodge.

Lots of folks run BFG A/T's in the winter, part of that is experience and preference. If you have no winter driving experience, which can be assumed by your location...just stop by the tire shop on Kodiak and they will set you up.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Lots of folks run BFG A/T's in the winter, part of that is experience and preference. If you have no winter driving experience, which can be assumed by your location...just stop by the tire shop on Kodiak and they will set you up.
    I will need them before I drive up there. I probably only have 6 months left on these. Maybe a little more depending on how much time I spend in the deer stand 500 miles away this winter.

Cooper Discoverer STT's are a pretty popular all season tires. My experience, BFG's suck on ice and pack with snow.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Cooper Discoverer STT's are a pretty popular all season tires.
    they are popular...I have them on my truck and wish I didn't get them...I don't like them...they do look nice though...

My experience, BFG's suck on ice and pack with snow.
    I've run both on my truck and the STT's are far worse on ice....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    they are popular...I have them on my truck and wish I didn't get them...I don't like them...they do look nice though...

I've run both on my truck and the STT's are far worse on ice....
    you think so? Obviously studded are night and day, but I ran some on a lifted 85 chevy and liked them

Well I've got a 2500 ram 4X4, and nothing can be worse than the factory tires on snow, though I now have 40k miles on them and am just waiting to change them out. I do have two sets of chains. There are some conditions, water on top of ice, where you simply have to chain up, though really you just shouldn't be on the roads. I've heard Kodiak gets quite a bit of ice due to the shadows of the mountains and the freeze/thaw.

I ran b/f goodrich a/t's on my toyota truck and they worked well. They are also what I plan on putting on the dodge when I replace them. I've never found the need to run true winter tires on a 4wd vehicle.

you think so? Obviously studded are night and day, but I ran some on a lifted 85 chevy and liked them
    studs do help a lot....in winter I run the cooper disc. A/T, siped and studded..... I stick to the road like glue...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    studs do help a lot....in winter I run the cooper disc. A/T, siped and studded..... I stick to the road like glue...
    I saw siped on a thread when i was researching earlier. what is Siped?

Siped is when they slice a bunch of perpindicular cuts in your tire they actually open slightly when you apply break or throttle. Nice thing about a siped tire is you can continue to run them after studded tires are outlawed from our roadways in the spring
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I would get another set of bfg a/t's if you like them. Then, pick up a set of siped AND STUDDED tires when you hit the rock. The weather conditions there as horrible. You don't drive many miles on the rock, but have some of the worst roads anywhere in the workd due to the temps. It will snow 2ft in a day or two, then be raining a couple of days later. You have water on ice most of the winter. I don't care what kind of tire you have with water on ice, they suck compared to any studded tire. We often have to chain up our trucks over there on all 4 corner to get around. Alot of up and down in Kodiak as well. So, get a tire that you like for the summer months, and put your other set on in the winter. Tall and skinny with the studs. Do not get a set of 12.5x 33's for your studs. It defeats the purpose. I run 12.5 x 35 toyo mts on my truck in the summer. Great tire. I love them. Good off road traction, long lasting and quiter than the bfg m/t's I used to run for many years. Last alot longer as well. Then in the winter, truck looks alittle silly, but it has skinny little "pizza cutters" on it and sticks to the roads like glue even pulling a trailer loaded with 4 sleds on it. Alittle more money up front, but in the end, Both sets of tires will last twice as long so that comes out in the wash. That, and it will most likely save you many stucks and maybe an accident saving you lots of money.
    Welcome to Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I would get another set of bfg a/t's if you like them. Then, pick up a set of siped AND STUDDED tires when you hit the rock. The weather conditions there as horrible. You don't drive many miles on the rock, but have some of the worst roads anywhere in the workd due to the temps. It will snow 2ft in a day or two, then be raining a couple of days later. You have water on ice most of the winter. I don't care what kind of tire you have with water on ice, they suck compared to any studded tire. We often have to chain up our trucks over there on all 4 corner to get around. Alot of up and down in Kodiak as well. So, get a tire that you like for the summer months, and put your other set on in the winter. Tall and skinny with the studs. Do not get a set of 12.5x 33's for your studs. It defeats the purpose. I run 12.5 x 35 toyo mts on my truck in the summer. Great tire. I love them. Good off road traction, long lasting and quiter than the bfg m/t's I used to run for many years. Last alot longer as well. Then in the winter, truck looks alittle silly, but it has skinny little "pizza cutters" on it and sticks to the roads like glue even pulling a trailer loaded with 4 sleds on it. Alittle more money up front, but in the end, Both sets of tires will last twice as long so that comes out in the wash. That, and it will most likely save you many stucks and maybe an accident saving you lots of money.
    Welcome to Alaska
    Very well put and great advice!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I drive a 3500 Dodge Cummins for work. Cooper Discoverer ATR. They are great even without studs. They do grab and throw rocks. When I get new tires for my personal truck, they wll be the ATRs.

You might look at the Goodyear Silent Armor (sp). I picked them up at Sam's Club for $150.00 cheaper than the BFG's (E rated) and like them a lot. They have received very good ratings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    You might look at the Goodyear Silent Armor (sp). I picked them up at Sam's Club for $150.00 cheaper than the BFG's (E rated) and like them a lot. They have received very good ratings as well.
    those look good. Same with the 2 Coppers that were recommended. Really like the aggressive look of the SST.

Yokohama geolandar at/s.

Best all season tire hAnds down.

Never had a problem in the winter.
    Mpg went up 2mpg.
    Quieter.

I was running bfg at's the yoke make the bfgs feel square.
    In the winter with the bfg's I had to run almost all the time n 4x4. With the Homs I rarely put it I. 4x4.

This is on a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel crew cab. I had 10k on the bfg's and they were bare. So far I have 15k on the yoks and they have barely any wear on them.

Just can't say enought about these. Def. The best E-rated time I have ever ran in the winter.