Thread: hunting buddy shoot?

Default hunting buddy shoot?

my friend from downstates is coming up to visit and at the same time, im going out moose hunting, i am an alaskan resident and his out of state of course, he wants to be able to shoot my moose for me (he will be by my side at all times)

what is the legality of this? is he able to shoot my moose for me as long as i tag it and am properly licensed?

To hear tell on this forum you would think it was standard practice. Maybe you shoot it in the foot, and a split second later your buddy nails it solid, the story you tell is it was going to kill you both and eat you both. Seems there a lot of hunters who think as long as someone has a unfilled tag, it is OK for anyone to fill it.

No...what you are wanting to do is 100% illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsflyAK View Post
    my friend from downstates is coming up to visit and at the same time, im going out moose hunting, i am an alaskan resident and his out of state of course, he wants to be able to shoot my moose for me (he will be by my side at all times)

what is the legality of this? is he able to shoot my moose for me as long as i tag it and am properly licensed?
    YOU HAD BETTER READ THE REGS.
    If you don't - you and your "buddy" will well deserve whatever to court decides.
    Joe (Ak)

ok thanks for the info just wanted to double check

Essentially; your buddy is hunting then and needs tags, etc.. I would think troopers may have issue with him even carrying a firearm while you are hunting and he has no license.
    However; I do hear some talk about folks filling tags for other family members; always wondered if that was legit..???

NONONONONO it is against the the LAW

Perhaps a better way for your buddy to shoot a moose while hunting with you would be for him to buy a license and moose tag. Then he can shoot his own moose legally....and then give it to you if he so desires. That still leaves open the option for you to shoot your own moose if so desired and if fortunate enough to have the opportunity. There is an old military saying that goes something like, "Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer!" 'nough said?

A resident can let his or her under aged child harvest an animal on the residents tag but by no means can a NON RESIDENT shoot anything without the correct licenses. That is illegal and you possibly could loose your privilages allowing him to do it.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

$485 for a non-resident hunting license and moose tag. With this tag he could shoot(where legal open season is) a caribou black bear, wolverine, or wolf instead of a wolf since their tag price is lower.

Sounds like a bargain to me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    $485 for a non-resident hunting license and moose tag. With this tag he could shoot(where legal open season is) a caribou black bear, wolverine, or wolf instead of a wolf since their tag price is lower.

Sounds like a bargain to me.
    Sound a lot cheaper than a big whopping ticket and the head ache that goes along with it
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Smile

I agree, just have him buy a tag and license as there is no guide required for moose. There is nothing wrong with him harvesting a moose and you eating it that way. Other option is he can go on the hunt and enjoy the experience as a packer and cook. I certainly like doing this especially if I get to share the meat. I dont think that pullin the trigger is the good part of the hunt anyway.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I agree, just have him buy a tag and license as there is no guide required for moose. There is nothing wrong with him harvesting a moose and you eating it that way. Other option is he can go on the hunt and enjoy the experience as a packer and cook. I certainly like doing this especially if I get to share the meat. I dont think that pullin the trigger is the good part of the hunt anyway.....
    Hmmm...I might be looking for a cook/packer for a moose or bou hunt next year, I'm gonna keep ya in mind Solly.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    Essentially; your buddy is hunting then and needs tags, etc.. I would think troopers may have issue with him even carrying a firearm while you are hunting and he has no license.
    However; I do hear some talk about folks filling tags for other family members; always wondered if that was legit..???
    I'd think that anyone accompanying on a hunt in AK would be ok with a firearm (unless you are 50 yards from the truck)....just like carrying when fishing, hiking, wheeling etc....it would be no different than your wife or kid or dad without a tag having protection on them. I've heard of this being a loophole with some folks but for it to be illegal wouldn't be very safe.

But to the point of the thread NO! Don't do it. Party hunting is illegal (anymore) in any state I've hunted in.

You can legally apply for proxy hunts for certain species in certain areas. Otherwise the practice is illegal.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default let him shoot

the tree next to your legally harvested animal. Let him shoot it twice if the first shot isnt a good kill shot. No way would i let someone shoot my moose and then have to lie about how the hunt went down.

example: My wife drew a cow tag, we hunted first morning after no sleep the night before and came up empty. She needed a nap and i said im going fishing, she said if i see one to shoot it. No way, i want to be able to tell the true story how she bagged her first moose. I went and caught a huge fish, we picked blue berries in the afternoon and she pulled the trigger at 4:00 opening day. Short story but a true one.

Take your friend along and show him a good Alaska experience bagging a moose. Pulling the trigger is the easy part, allow him to gut it and pack it for you, any good friend would offer at least that

Fish and game are already tracking your every move just by posting your honest question here

good luck guys

Default Nope

Nope, your buddy can't shoot if for you without his own tag.

But I want to note that anyone can carry a gun almost anywhere without a hunting license. It is our right as an american citizen to do so. ADF&G will try to tell you different, but you stick to it. You can be decked out in every kind of hunting gear imaginable without a license and go wherever you want. If they stop you, you tell them what I always tell them, and what my dad always told them.. "I'm taking my gun for a walk". I have never done any illegal hunting, nor would I ever, but I never show them my hunting license or game tags, even when they ask for it. Until they see me with something dead, they can stay out of my business.

They will always ask first if your hunting, and if you say yes, you pretty much have to show them.

I battled in a bow hunt area, where I was just doing some hiking. The warden insisted that I could not be out in the woods with a gun during a bow only season, even though I told him I wasn't hunting, but just hiking. It got fairly heated, and I finally just walked away and told him to do whatever he had to do, and I would see him in court when I got done with my hike. I never heard more about it.

But I digress... Just an irriation on my part that the F&G has slowly over the years convinced people of this.
    Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

My first year in Alaska when I couldn't hunt sheep I went sheep hunting with one of my friends. I carried a rifle for bear protection, and just because I don't feel right in the woods without carrying a rifle. I'd have felt like a tourist. A trooper stopped my friend and I to check tags and I told him I didn't have any, I was just his hunting partner and that I couldn't legally hunt. The trooper didn't give a ****. Some troopers will say if you are carrying a rifle then you are hunting, some are cool with it. I doubt it would get anywhere in court if it got that far.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Stay legal

I have my family from the Lower 48 come up and go with me into moose camp sometimes they have a rifle sometimes they don't. Depends on the number of people in camp at the time. If it's just me and my L48 family member then they get a rifle too (common sense).

Have 'em come along and enjoy the experience. Like someone said below. The "fun" is over after you pull the trigger.

Regarding being contacted by law enforcement. My rule of thumb is, If an officer ASKs you for something or ASKs you to do something then you HAVE A CHOICE to comply or not. If an officer TELLS/COMMANDS you to do something then do it, immediately. Assume that all officers are tape recording the contact and if you're unsure of whether you're being ASKED or TOLD then I say, "Are you telling me to show you my ID or are you asking me." Officers are trained in the art of verbal judo and the difference between asking and telling is subtle. Just something to be aware of. I am not advocating disrespect to officers. They have a job to do and most do it professionally. Having been law enforcement in this state it galls me to no end when officers "tell/command" when they should be asking and when they ask and are told "No" they get all bent out of shape. Sorry for the soap box.