Thread: 30-06 Question?

Default 30-06 Question?

I have been considering buying a 30-06 and was wondering what the best barrel length is best, meaning how short can I go before I lose performance?

Thanks for any and all help and advice

Dono

Get what you want.Once sighted in the game won't be able to tell the difference in barrel lenght.

22 or 24 inch seems to be pretty standard for 30-06.

I've had them from 18" to 26" and the best crossover for me between performance and handling is 22". If you're talking a Ruger #1, 2" makes a package as short and handy as an 18" bolt without sacrificing ballistics. There's just not enough gain in ballistics to matter when stretching up to 26".

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Depends on what you want to do with it I guess…..

I have a Rem 700 BDL 30-06 with 22” barrel that I consider my “long range” rifle that is equipped and sighted to take game out to about 300 yards. Chronograph velocity with hand loads seem to be in line with published data.

I also have a Rem 7600 BDL Carbine with 18” barrel that is used exclusively as a “knock around” gun for boat and atv carry. I load it with Hornady 220 gr RN at about 2400fps and find that it is just the ticket for a compact, yet powerful package capable of shots out to about 200 yards.

When it comes to barrel length for my personal uses, I predominantly lean towards as short a barrel as I can get. I am generally willing to trade some performance for a more compact package. That said, 22” in a bolt gun is not too ungainly for me, although I much prefer 20”, however 24” or 26” barrels just seem to be too awkward and obtrusive in the field for my tastes.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I love a 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel. The most accurate gun I have ever used, the one I shot many many caribou with, was a 22 inch 06.

my suggestion is too buy what feels good in your hands...sure there is some trade off with an 18" bbl in regards to powder burn compared to a 24" bbl but that is a moot point really. I'd want a long barrel than a short one for sheep hunting for example...just a good thing to have a longer barrel in this case. Moose, caribou and bear have been taking with them bbl. length mentioned..I've owned a variety of bbl lengths as well and found for yrs. the Rem.760 18"bbl to be just perfect for my type of hunting. For longer shooting I opted yrs. back the .300 win mag and now the .30-338 .... just a good all-arounder. My current aught six is a pre-64 with a 23.5"bbl.....find that to be not only capable to "swing" in close but perfect as barrel lengths go.

ahhh, you will love the aught six....a fine caliber for anyone anytime! just get in close and do your work.

regards,

Thumbs up great choice...

Everyone should have a 30-06. A 22" barell is a good choice. The controlled round feed Winchester Featherweight 30-06's are as good as it gets. Save your money and find a used one in good condition. Calibers come and go. The 30-06 came and stayed and has been doing good for over 100 years. With today's "super bullets" it is better then ever. Long live the 30-06!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply's to this post. I have come to the decision with a 22"-24" barrel depending on what I can afford. Very interested in the Winchester but I guess I just need to see how things go with money and a deal.

Thanks everybody for your help

Dono

Every 30-06 I own has been cut back to 19-20 inches. Works great and balances well.

22 inch seems to be a good length based upon my chronograph testing.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com