Thread: Cell Coverage on Kenai

Default Cell Coverage on Kenai

How good is the cell phone and Blackberry coverage on the Kenai Peninsula? How about on the Parks Highway? I use AT&T if that matters. I normally try to avoid it, but maintaining contact will be required on this trip.

I have a company cell thru ACS. It is hands downs better than coverage provided by AT&T. Whenever we're @ the Russian, my wife and other friends who have IPhones or other phones by AT&T have issues with their signal while my signal strength is at full strength and this is standing next to each other comparing signals. I do lose signal when I'm diving by Summit Lake though.

I have AT&T and coverage is good in Cooper Landing, Soldotna, Homer, Etc. However, on the Kenai River it's hit and miss. At least it was for my phone.

Either way, cell phone coverage in Alaska is spotty at best. While most systems are very comparable in coverage areas, some companies even sharing towers with others, the type of phone you have as well as the number of users currently utilizing the signal will all determine your access ability. The coverage though from Fairbanks all the way to Homer/Seward is good compared to a few years ago. The system from Fairbanks north is still in the process of being discussed and this includes two of the four main competitors...

Coverage has gotten better over the years, but you are still likely to find some spots where you loose contact with cell sites.

Quote Originally Posted by supern8inak View Post
    Either way, cell phone coverage in Alaska is spotty at best. While most systems are very comparable in coverage areas, some companies even sharing towers with others, the type of phone you have as well as the number of users currently utilizing the signal will all determine your access ability. The coverage though from Fairbanks all the way to Homer/Seward is good compared to a few years ago. The system from Fairbanks north is still in the process of being discussed and this includes two of the four main competitors...
    You haven't see spotty until you come to the North West Territories!!!!
    And don't even ask about our internet connectivity!!

You should be pretty good on the peninsula. Russian is spoty but good coverage in cooper landing and soldotna. Where will you be?

I'll be everywhere from the Russian to Homer. I'll drive in to town every day to work the Blackberry if I have to, but I'd prefer to leave it at home!

I know this doesn't apply to ATT&T, but Verizon works great on the Kenai/Russian River area.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    I know this doesn't apply to ATT&T, but Verizon works great on the Kenai/Russian River area.

Verizon has no service up here. The use ACS to get their service to their customers in Ak. I agree, in a whole, ACS has better coverage than at&t. I have acs and the wife has att&t. Works out well since one or the other usually has coverage.

I did make my trip to the Kenai Peninsula and wanted to provide my actual experience with AT&T cell coverage in case it helps anyone else. I did get service in Cooper Landing and Soldotna, but service was spotty in between. I could not get a signal at the Russian River Campground. From Soldotna to Homer I had good service all the way.

I have ATT. It is weird around the Russian River. I don't get service, or very poor service, on the hwy side. Take the ferry across and I get great signal all along the bank until I actually get into the woods going upstream. Good service from Anch-Turnagain Pass (accept for about a mile stretch around McHugh where calls always get dropped), then nothing until Cooper Landing. Then nothing again until out on the flats near Sterling, where it's pretty consistent the rest of the way south.

I'll just add to the consensus AT&T is flakey everywhere in Alaksa from my experience. ACS (verizon in your from out of state) is better but there will be spots you won't get coverage.

I see feedback for both ATT and ACS service, anyone use Digitel phone service around there? Specifically, I am curious about the GCI Air Card. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by karandas72 View Post
    I see feedback for both ATT and ACS service, anyone use Digitel phone service around there? Specifically, I am curious about the GCI Air Card. Thanks.
    I have a GCI air card and an ACS cell phone. I get great coverage with the air card, almost better then my cell. I can use the card at russian river CG with no problems. I have not found a spot the card will not work unlike the cell phone.

A new AKDigitel Tower (GCI) was just put up behind Gwin's

Just a note for anyone curious.

If you have a vehicle equipped with On-Star phone service, it works EVERYWHERE....lol. I've yet to find a spot where it didn't. Course, it's expensive, and I don't recommend using it much, but it's a good back-up.

Cool On Star

Worked only 50% of the time coming up the Alaska Highway, cancelled as soon as i got here in Sterling. My Verizon Cell works great on the Kenai

Quote Originally Posted by javalina View Post
    Worked only 50% of the time coming up the Alaska Highway, cancelled as soon as i got here in Sterling. My Verizon Cell works great on the Kenai
    Aha...see, I haven't tried it in Canada. Worked at the Copper River, among other places, when nothing else seemed to. Kinda cool. But yeah, I don't intend on paying for On-Star when the first year runs out.

Thanks, glad to hear the GCI air card will work there.