Thread: Aging sheep

Default Aging sheep

In looking at some of the beautiful sheep that people have gotten I usually try to count the rings to determine the age of the animal. I have determined that I am not very good at that. Does anybody have some pictures and perhaps a tutorial or two on how to age the sheep. There are some nice looking sheep in current threads, but I didn't want to hijack pictures from somebody else's posts to start my own. I seem to remember earlier threads that addressed this but didn't find any in my search.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Trying to age a sheep from a picture is usually not a whole lot better than via a spotting scope - iffy at best. Aging is pretty much a hands on type of procedure and as you have prob come to realize from reading some of the sheep threads - even then these assessments are regretfully not in 100% agreement, even by the so called experts.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    In looking at some of the beautiful sheep that people have gotten I usually try to count the rings to determine the age of the animal. I have determined that I am not very good at that. Does anybody have some pictures and perhaps a tutorial or two on how to age the sheep. There are some nice looking sheep in current threads, but I didn't want to hijack pictures from somebody else's posts to start my own. I seem to remember earlier threads that addressed this but didn't find any in my search.
    It is probably a lot more accurate to say "we can approximate" the age of sheep by counting the annuli. As has been often mentioned it is tough enough to ESTIMATE the age when we have the horns "in hand" let alone through a spotting scope.
    In reality all trophy judging is an estimation; hopefully with experience the estimations become more accurate but in the end they are still approximations regardless of how good we get.
    Joe (Ak)
    good luck
    Joe

Default tricky business

Ya, I watched a ram at 150yds at 52X with excellent optics for over an hour a few weeks ago and like wantj43 said, I could only "estimate" that he was "maybe" 7. I felt I had ideal conditions for counting rings. Close, no atmospheric distortion, different angle as the ram mosied around (he was on a lick). But still, it was tricky at best. The only way I would have pulled the trigger would have been if I could have counted 9 rings for sure. That would have given me a margin for error.