Thread: Starting to think about my pack

Default Starting to think about my pack

I'm ready for snow so I have been thinking about what I need to put in my backpack. I never really planned this well in the past but I have found if I have packs or totes for each of my activities, it takes less time to get ready to go out/I forget less.

Here's what I have so far, any suggestions would be great:

Matches
    Fire Starter
    Extra Gloves, Hat
    Socket Set
    Steel Wire
    Screwdriver
    Duct Tape
    Knife
    Emergency Bivy
    Rope & parachute cord
    First Aid kit
    Compass & Map
    Folding Shovel

Something that I kept in my machine last year that one of my friends made of fun of me for was chest waders. He made fun of me until he went out without me and sunk his machine through the ice. He was up to his (you know what) in ice cold water for an hour trying to muscle it out. Now who's the Dumass?
    That's what she said...

Throw a road flare or two in (if there's room). They are pretty handy in a pinch.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Small saw, spare fuel line tubing.

Get one of the Pocket Rocket flares. It has 3 small light weigth compact aerial flares that are Coast Guard approved. That way you can signal SAR. I second the road flares they are handy for starting a fire after you go in the drink. Make sure you have a hatchet or saw in there or on your sled. I carry a hatchet, and my riding buddy carries the saw, both have their uses.

Otherwise I think your list is pretty good.

Now where the heck is that snow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    Matches
    Fire Starter
    Extra Gloves, Hat
    Socket Set
    Steel Wire
    Screwdriver
    Duct Tape
    Knife
    Emergency Bivy
    Rope & parachute cord
    First Aid kit
    Compass & Map
    Folding Shovel
    Good list. I also carry spare fleece long-johns in case I get wet. A head lamp and food--tea, snickers, jerky and a sierra cup to melt water. I also carry an avalanche shovel, probe, and I ride with a beacon.

For my tool kit, I carry bits and sockets of my most common sizes, a needle nose and visegrip pliers plus some spare parts. Pre-gapped spare plugs, a spare water-pump belt, zip-ties, clamps & water.

I would like to add a few more things...some to put in your pack and a couple to put in your head...

For the pack: For those looking for a good rope, REI carries 8mm accessory cord in pre-cut and packaged 100 foot lengths. It's officially "accessory" cord but 8mm is plenty stout enough that you can rappel on it in a pinch. New in the package, it's about the size of a wrapped 6" subway sandwich. To go with that I carry 4 oval carabiners with the slip-on pulley wheels. 100 feet of good rope and a few pulleys do wonders for getting sleds and riders out of ravines....ahem. I also carry a climbers rescue "8" in the event I ever have to rappel down to someone hurt (I have training). Also...put string pull-tabs on all zippers that don't have them.

For the brain....
    NEVER and I mean NEVER trust your life to a gadget you have not practiced with first. Fire starters come imediately to mind. Granted, some items are intuitive but some are designed for two hands and assume you're fully functional. I recommend folks play with their survival gear at home or on "easy" trail rides. Pretend you have a broken arm or fingers and see how easy your stuff is to use 1 handed. Practice building fires and getting in and out of your pack with one arm/hand. Take the time to research, and learn how and where (and where not) to build snow shelters--Thermal A-Frame, Tree-Well, Snow Cave, and Quinzee. The A-Frame is the most work and cannot be built 1 handed but they are bomb proof and *warm. Military survival manuals are a great source of shelter info.

*Warm is relative: A properly built A-frame typically provides a 60 degree margin. If you make a small fresh-air vent and burn a candle you can get it up to the mid 30's.

Final thought: Stashing stuff like tools and parts on the sled itself is fine, but since so many of us ride in places where getting separated from the machine is a real possibility, make sure your survival gear is strapped onto your body.

Ride hard....drive home

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    ...Stashing stuff like tools and parts on the sled itself is fine, but since so many of us ride in places where getting separated from the machine is a real possibility, make sure your survival gear is strapped onto your body.
    This is what I am working on right now. Mainly stuff to keep on my pack that I wear. I have a second one that I carry on the back of my sled. Lot's of great tips everyone, thanks! It is making me a little anxious though since we still have a couple of months. Time goes by fast this time of year though since it is so nice. So much to do in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by psc210 View Post
    Get one of the Pocket Rocket flares. Make sure you have a hatchet or saw in there or on your sled.
    Those flares definately! I've seen those on Survivorman. I've been thinking about getting one of those Gerber hatchets, that has a saw in the handle. Multitaskers are great.
    That's what she said...