Thread: Tents

Default Tents

Post in a couple of sections of these forums. I'm just curious to know what was thought of the Cabela's XPG ultralight tent for backpacking. It's got a lot of great reviews but I was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience, or even if you don't have that but you want to comment on it after researching it yourself. For the price it may be hard to beat if it lives up to the reviews.

Looking at the pics I wouldn't be too excited due to the fact that there is no guy out points to pull the fly away from the tent on the sides. That is going to beg for water intrusion and condensation.

I had a Bomb shelter tent come apart in 120+ MPH winds, it was a terrifying 24 hours. I would only buy the very best four season tent made with lots of tie-outs.

Bump yourself up to about 400 bucks and buy a high quality mountaineering tent to your liking. Lots of good ones on the market. Hilleberg, Bibler, etc. It could save your life.

Default cost

Part of the reason I'm looking at this one is $$$. My buddy has high praise of Sierra designs tent (can't remember model off the top of my head), and that's the one he thinks I should get (it did work great for three of us on our Brooks Range sheep hunt). I'm wondering, is it possible to buy a high quality (possibly 3 person but definitley not less than 2 person) but low cost tent? The reviews at Cabela's website make this tent seem like the bomb for the price. Some even say that it is comparable to tents twice the cost. LuJon commented that the lack of guy out points wouldn't leave him to excited. Could this tent be modified at home once bought to have some guy out points in strategic places, and in return a pretty low cost tent, light weight, quality tent is produced?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanUSAF View Post
    Part of the reason I'm looking at this one is $$$. My buddy has high praise of Sierra designs tent (can't remember model off the top of my head), and that's the one he thinks I should get (it did work great for three of us on our Brooks Range sheep hunt). I'm wondering, is it possible to buy a high quality (possibly 3 person but definitley not less than 2 person) but low cost tent? The reviews at Cabela's website make this tent seem like the bomb for the price. Some even say that it is comparable to tents twice the cost. LuJon commented that the lack of guy out points wouldn't leave him to excited. Could this tent be modified at home once bought to have some guy out points in strategic places, and in return a pretty low cost tent, light weight, quality tent is produced?
    Ask yourself if you would want to be in it at 6000+ ft in 50-75mph winds and snow for 12+ hrs or a couple days. Would it hold up? I wouldn't want to find out. Look at the loops the poles go into. Not many and very small. A strong tent will have sleeves at least part way along with larger clips. Ultralight means thinner not as strong fabrics also.

It may keep a guy dry in the rain but I wouldn't want to trust my life with it in the wind. I'm one of those guys though who will carry and extra pound for a bomber tent and when I'm in the mountains I'd rather have 4-500 bucks tied up in a mountaineering tent rather than have it in the bank. Just my .02. Other guys will differ with me. But, I have a good friend who was literally blown down the mountain in a 3 season tent in a 3 day august snow storm in the Wrangels. He ended up having to activate his beacon on that trip. His tent ended up being nothing but a piece of nylon he rolled up in. I figure the two most important pieces of gear on a sheep hunt are your boots and your tent.

first off. i've never paid over 300 bucks for a mountianeering tent and i've been in some nasty crap and been fine. i have a cabela tent your talking about and you'll really need to pick your spot to camp on that tent, its flimsy, it'll bend right over in a stiff wind, probably won't take on any water as the bathtub style bottom is pretty high, condesation was never a problem its mostly screen on the inside, cold in the wind.
    i'd got with a couple of one man tents from mt hardware or msr that'll be less than 200 bucks a piece and you'll be alot more secure in bad weather...of course on a good weather hunt you can get away with a piece of paper towel!!
    for a 2-3 man tent you'll want more than 2 poles....basic rule to get you started. check REI they have some stuff that'll work as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Trango 4 gets a thumbs up so far

I picked up this trango 4 for $349.00 (rei outlet) and after it's first trip it gets a real thumbs up for a three man tent. It hasn't seen any real wind yet, but has twice as many guy outs then I will probably ever use. I was impressed that I got no condensation at all for the whole week. The two vestibules handle three guys gear well. Its little heavy at 13# but thats not to bad split three ways. Anyway I have used quite a few and this one shoulld take a lot of wind and will stay dry inside. Here are pictures on the ridge.

Wow, excellent deal on a bomber tent there trapperbob.

Here are a couple more bomber mtn tents. The yellow one is a mid 90's TNF Apogee single wall tent that is like a drum when pitched. Internal poles, single wall. Totally quiet in the wind but in still moist air it is very hard to control condensation. It's designed for high altitude (above 10,000ft) in cold dry air. I don't have it any more. The red one is my new Hilleberg Tarra. Hilleberg says it's their strongest dome tent. I have only used it on two trips this year, total of about 14 days. Had it in some high winds and rain. No prob. Pitch it where you want or have too, stake it down and let the wind blow. Man, I love this tent. It comes in at about 8.5 lbs. No prob for two guys. Two vestibules/entrances with room for packs, boots, gear and run a stove, 4 equal length 10mm poles, 4 of the guy line loops wrap around intersect points of the poles. Poles pitch in the outer tent, inner tent hangs inside, great ventilation. But, it is expensive. It cost me about 40 bucks a night this year to stay in it! Cheaper than most hotels though and next trip it will be "free lodging"! A Pro-Deal can save some money if a guy qualifies.

Here's a great site to look at pics and compare tents.

http://www.moontrail.com

Recently spent a rather cold night in the tent with very high winds and blowing snow up at Hatchers pass. Have a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT, and stayed perfectly dry with never a concern for the blowing snow outside. It actually started to look like an igloo instead of a tent. Just have to say that Hilleberg definately makes a quality tent that can stand the Alaskan weather.

Default Tents

Anyone ever heard of tents made by Walrus? a friend of mine had one and that tent was awesome! but they don't make them anymore i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Anyone ever heard of tents made by Walrus? a friend of mine had one and that tent was awesome! but they don't make them anymore i guess.
    I did some googly research and it looks like they were picked off by MSR some years back. They kept the Walrus name for a while then like Marmot did to Dana Designs it eventually faded out entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I did some googly research and it looks like they were picked off by MSR some years back. They kept the Walrus name for a while then like Marmot did to Dana Designs it eventually faded out entirely.
    Thanks for the info.....so the same product is still being made...gonna have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ask yourself if you would want to be in it at 6000+ ft in 50-75mph winds and snow for 12+ hrs or a couple days. Would it hold up? I wouldn't want to find out. Look at the loops the poles go into. Not many and very small. A strong tent will have sleeves at least part way along with larger clips. Ultralight means thinner not as strong fabrics also.

It may keep a guy dry in the rain but I wouldn't want to trust my life with it in the wind. I'm one of those guys though who will carry and extra pound for a bomber tent and when I'm in the mountains I'd rather have 4-500 bucks tied up in a mountaineering tent rather than have it in the bank. Just my .02. Other guys will differ with me. But, I have a good friend who was literally blown down the mountain in a 3 season tent in a 3 day august snow storm in the Wrangels. He ended up having to activate his beacon on that trip. His tent ended up being nothing but a piece of nylon he rolled up in. I figure the two most important pieces of gear on a sheep hunt are your boots and your tent.
    +1... Need a good tent.... If your are in Anchorage, try REI. Check out a few. You will see the difference between the tents at Sportsmen's and REI... 3+ Season tent is the minimum for up here....

Thanks for all the good info guys, I really appreciate it. Kind of a side note/question...what do you guys think about the Sierra Designs ASP Ultralight 3 person 3 season tent? Link below

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-3-Season.html

Default Eureka K2

I bought this tent this season. I too am weary of being caught in a bad situation. Been there a couple times! While I havent been on asheep tent, I am pretty confident that it woudl hold up. I was in Valdez this summer and it was FLAT blowing where we were. I would say 40MPH easy. I saw other tents that were shredded, collapsed etc. Mine and a LARGE Cabelas outfitter were the only one standing. OUr rain flys were barely wrigling in the wind. I was impressed.

Also, as stated, sleeves, and clip and ALUMINUM poles. the all make all the difference.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/k-2-xt/ Here is alink for some reviews and a pic.

THey also have them at Sportsmans in Fairbanks-but buy online. You wil save $

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanUSAF View Post
    Thanks for all the good info guys, I really appreciate it. Kind of a side note/question...what do you guys think about the Sierra Designs ASP Ultralight 3 person 3 season tent? Link below

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-3-Season.html
    Great tent.. Know several guys using them... Would do what you need it to...

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    I bought this tent this season. I too am weary of being caught in a bad situation. Been there a couple times! While I havent been on asheep tent, I am pretty confident that it woudl hold up. I was in Valdez this summer and it was FLAT blowing where we were. I would say 40MPH easy. I saw other tents that were shredded, collapsed etc. Mine and a LARGE Cabelas outfitter were the only one standing. OUr rain flys were barely wrigling in the wind. I was impressed.

Also, as stated, sleeves, and clip and ALUMINUM poles. the all make all the difference.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/k-2-xt/ Here is alink for some reviews and a pic.

THey also have them at Sportsmans in Fairbanks-but buy online. You wil save $
    Looks like a strong tent...
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-72-k-2-xt.aspx#
    11+ pounds though? Is this your backpacking tent?

Quote Originally Posted by chasing View Post
    Great tent.. Know several guys using them... Would do what you need it to...

Backcountry hunting, sheep hunting type tent. Some backcountry adventuring too (I'm thinking about doing some backpacking trips to remote lakes or streams and throwing a line in for grayling)