Thread: Need a Rem 700 smith in Anchorage

Default Need a Rem 700 smith in Anchorage

Hello, I'm starting a 300wm project on a remington 700. I'm still debating on barrel make and such but what I'm really looking for is a good smith in Anchorage.

I've called around, and while I do like to help out the local economy, the shops I've called so far are a bit high in regards to installing and truing a rem 700.

Some of the prices I've been quoted makes just sending my action to Hart and have them do everything a bargin.

Anyone know of someone around town who works with 700's. I want someone who knows what they are doing but don't charge 30 percent more than what I can get done in the states.

Thanks

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Stan Jackson is a good Smith, and his prices for me have been quite reasonable.

349-3854

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Did you call Alaska Custom Firearms? I had them glass bed my 700 in a McMillan A5, install a custom bolt knob, detachable box magazine, tune the trigger, and mount my scope last winter. I can't remember the pricing off hand, but it seemed reasonable. I was happy with the work, and the gun shoots better than me.

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Stan Jackson is a good Smith, and his prices for me have been quite reasonable.

349-3854

Smitty of the North
    Ditto, I bet ya he is way cheaper than 90% of the lower 48 smiths and no shipping to them or back which adds to the expense.
    Tennessee

I usually have any work done to my Remington's done by "The Kid" at Wild West Guns. I have been very happy with his work.

Thanks for the sources, I'll follow up

Quote Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker View Post
    What is with the fascination of using someone in state?

Rest assured the action,barrel,bottom metal,scope,bases,rings,bullets,powder nor primers(for starters),came from out of state.

I'd be inclined to source goods of repute,from folks of repute and not fret the zipcodes.
    I don't know. Maybe because this is a shooting community and we like to support our local resources rather than send the money out of state. All of my clientel is local and I truely believe spending my money locally.

I have had local gunsmiths build several guns for me and I have had excellent results. Why should I take a chance on a several thousand dollar project with someone I don't know and who has no local support for the product?

I have had several rifles which did not perform very well. Dealing with the rude east coast customer service was not any fun and the rifle was tied up in repair for several months. In the end the rifles issues were never solved. Now, I just prefer to deal with someone I know personally and have good experiences with. Good business is all about building relationships.

Default I'll second the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I don't know. Maybe because this is a shooting community and we like to support our local resources rather than send the money out of state. All of my clientel is local and I truely believe spending my money locally.

Now, I just prefer to deal with someone I know personally and have good experiences with. Good business is all about building relationships.
    Same thoughts here. I've had a rifle with a nationally renown gunsmith for more than a year. I was quoted 5-7 weeks turnaround. He received the rifle 09/08 and has been the devil to deal with on the phone and via email. I'll not do that again. Why not use a local guy if the work is competent and the price is competitive? Just had some mild work completed by WWG and I could not be more pleased. They quoted me a fair price and promised to have the work done in a week. Turns out they overestimated the time; I dropped it off on Monday morning and they had my gun back the same day just to help me save on the shipping. I can't see any reason to look outside the state with that kind of service and work available here.

Default What a waste, PWC...

Quote: "Obviously,you boys haven't been around very many rifles".

Really, PWC?
    Youngtrout's original post prompted an informative discussion by several Forum regulars. Such sincere, respectful discussion/contributions are IMO one of the strengths of this forum - b/c so many contributors actually know the "why" of their advice. Many of the people who log on, either as contributors, or lurkers (learning), spend time here because the discussion is thoughtful, dense with facts and/or experience and contributes to the original poster's question. Posts/thread/forums full of braggadocio, insult, slander wouldn't be worth anyone's time.

Maybe you have more experience, and maybe you don't. but speaking for the lurkers/learners on this forum, I hope the discussion, helping youngtrout out will continue ... soon. Apologies to Youngtrout BTW.