Thread: Is there a cure for this disease?? HELP!

Default Is there a cure for this disease?? HELP!

Well guys i got bit in Alaska by something that has given me a huge urge to start tying my own flies again. I tied a few 35 yrs ago and was not very good at it at all. Well now i bought a vise, Bucktails, Yarn of different types, several different kinds of sparkly yarn, a bunch of other things, some of the stuff i bought i dont even know the name of and 8 different spools of 210 denier UTC thread all to tied up some Sockeye flies for on the Kenai. Mind you 10.00 worth of flies bought at the store up there would have done me fine but no i needed to tie my own. Is there a cure for this??? I need to find a good Sockeye hook and i am ready to have at it. I am looking for a straight eye short shanked hook and i will be tying. I hope there is a cure for this! Do any good patterns come to mind for a beginner? Any help would be great!

I whipped up some moose hair caddis.

Streamers are an easy start.

The only cure that I know of is liquid sunshine and tight lines.

The vise doesn't get broken out around here until November (unless there's an emergency).
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I will break it out in late December after hunting but the sickness caused me to buy all that tying equipment now.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Do any good patterns come to mind for a beginner? Any help would be great!

Check out the below link. When it opens, click on the categories to the left, then pick a pattern in that category. It will give you the recipe and directions. Good info and all specific to Alaska.

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/index.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

See if you have a local flyfishing club that gets together to tie flies. You'd be amazed how quickly you can pick it up by having a pro give you some pointers and tie sample patterns, while critiquing your flies.

Good luck shaking the addiction! It's hard for me to walk into the fly shop without spending money. There's always some other material you just gotta have.

I learned to tie on the Clouser. Give that one a try. It's not too difficult, and it's a great fly to fish with.

They're hard to find now, but the best overall salmon fly hook I've used in the last 20 years is the Daichi 2141. Super sharp, straight eye, Limerick bend, medium wire, small barb, black finish. You'll like them for all species, but dang if I can tell you where to find a reliable source. My hoard is dwindling and I'd love to build it back up.

Spoke too fast. Just found them here. Anyone know of a cheaper source?