Thread: Arrows and Broadheads

Default Arrows and Broadheads

As stated on one archery ad, “Arrows are not an accessory.”

In pursuit of the right combination for successful Alaskan hunting I have tried several options.
    First was Easton XX78 Superslams in aluminum tipped with 125 grain Thunderheads. They are inexpensive, fairly durable and worked on one Alaskan black bear for me. The Thunderhead preformed flawlessly as expected. I still have some for my old Pearson Flame backup bow.

With carbons being the rage I switched to Easton Axis ST. The Thunderheads did not fly to my liking out of my new BowTech so I switched to 125 grain SlickTrick broadheads. Perfect flight! Always straight or broken, they accounted for two black bears and one caribou. Wanting something for moose and brown bears I also bought some Magnus Stinger, 125 grain two blade broadheads. For those that think you cannot shoot an old style cut-on-impact broadhead at over 270 fps, you are wrong. The Stingers accounted for one whitetail back in NY at around 30 yards. Again, perfect flight. I bent two of them in a 2x4. With the lifetime guarantee, Magnus replaced them with four new ones

I broke a few of the Easton Axis so when it came time to replace arrows I opted for Carbon Express Terminator Hunter Selects at 12 gpi. I thought the Easton’s were accurate, but since owning the CETH, I have split four of them in less than a year. Not too easily done with carbons. The CETH accounted for one caribou with the SlickTricks and I made a bad shot on a black bear with one tipped with the Magnus Stinger. Wanting more weight for brown bears and moose I also bought inserts at 3 gpi and some Magnus Snuffers, 150-grain. Now I have an arrow that weighs 600-grains with one wicked looking broadhead.

I used my same sight setting and tried the first arrow at 30 yards. I was thinking that with the weight increase I might see a 6”-8" drop from the intended target. Two inches low! Another shot, three inches low or I averaged 2 ˝” lower than my sight in. It is too cold to take the range test out further to forty and fifty yards but I do expect more of a drop at those distances. Since I would not shoot a brown bear or moose at over 30 yards, lacking the KE on that size of an animal the setup should be fine. According to the TAP program I should be getting 75 foot-pounds of KE with the current setup.

So where does that leave me? I now have a 450-grain (total weight) arrow with a 125-grain SlickTrick that is accurate and flat enough to 50 yards or more for caribou, goats and deer. And, a 600-grain arrow(total weight) tipped with a 150-grain broadhead that I can use with the same sight setup for brown bear and moose.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have played with carbons some and the ones I played with were the same ones that you use CETH. I have switched back to xx78's or even the Yukon Gamegetter III's which is the same as the xx78's just without camo on the shafts. I am shooting an arrow that weighs somewhere close to 480 grains and I wont hesitate to shoot out 60 yards for one second. I am drawing a Kodiak Outdoors at 74lbs and its dedaly accurate. My choice of broadhead is a 125 grain Magnus Stinger both in a 2 blade and 4 blade configuration. Gave up long ago on chisel point broadheads. I would zing an arrow right through a moose at 50 yards with my equip set up and using Stinger broadheads and guarantee it will pass through, that would be attributed to the broadhead I am using more than anything else. A cut on impact broadheads will outpenetrate a chisel point broadhead all day long. I laugh so hard watching these hunting shows on TV where guys get so little penetration on animals and just cant understand what there set up is(bow, arrow, and broadhead). Its been a long time since I shot anything that ran off with an arrow sticking out of it, all have been clean pass throughs. I shot a real nice Caribou last fall up north at 40 yards and had a bunch of guys watching me from the roadway with binos as I was mid stalk , one of them approached me when I went to get my pack out of the truck to go recover the bou and said he couldn't believe I hit it, he said he thought I missed as the arrow came whizzing out the other side of the bou, he asked me how far I was and I said 40 yards, never did find the arrow as it burrowed into the tundra after passing through the bou.

Gold tips xt hunter 7595 with 100 grn muzzy but now I'm trying out the ulimate steel little broadheads.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Informative post - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    As stated on one archery ad, “Arrows are not an accessory.”

In pursuit of the right combination for successful Alaskan hunting I have tried several options.
    First was Easton XX78 Superslams in aluminum tipped with 125 grain Thunderheads. They are inexpensive, fairly durable and worked on one Alaskan black bear for me. The Thunderhead preformed flawlessly as expected. I still have some for my old Pearson Flame backup bow.

With carbons being the rage I switched to Easton Axis ST. The Thunderheads did not fly to my liking out of my new BowTech so I switched to 125 grain SlickTrick broadheads. Perfect flight! Always straight or broken, they accounted for two black bears and one caribou. Wanting something for moose and brown bears I also bought some Magnus Stinger, 125 grain two blade broadheads. For those that think you cannot shoot an old style cut-on-impact broadhead at over 270 fps, you are wrong. The Stingers accounted for one whitetail back in NY at around 30 yards. Again, perfect flight. I bent two of them in a 2x4. With the lifetime guarantee, Magnus replaced them with four new ones

I broke a few of the Easton Axis so when it came time to replace arrows I opted for Carbon Express Terminator Hunter Selects at 12 gpi. I thought the Easton’s were accurate, but since owning the CETH, I have split four of them in less than a year. Not too easily done with carbons. The CETH accounted for one caribou with the SlickTricks and I made a bad shot on a black bear with one tipped with the Magnus Stinger. Wanting more weight for brown bears and moose I also bought inserts at 3 gpi and some Magnus Snuffers, 150-grain. Now I have an arrow that weighs 600-grains with one wicked looking broadhead.

I used my same sight setting and tried the first arrow at 30 yards. I was thinking that with the weight increase I might see a 6”-8" drop from the intended target. Two inches low! Another shot, three inches low or I averaged 2 ˝” lower than my sight in. It is too cold to take the range test out further to forty and fifty yards but I do expect more of a drop at those distances. Since I would not shoot a brown bear or moose at over 30 yards, lacking the KE on that size of an animal the setup should be fine. According to the TAP program I should be getting 75 foot-pounds of KE with the current setup.

So where does that leave me? I now have a 450-grain (total weight) arrow with a 125-grain SlickTrick that is accurate and flat enough to 50 yards or more for caribou, goats and deer. And, a 600-grain arrow(total weight) tipped with a 150-grain broadhead that I can use with the same sight setup for brown bear and moose.
    Lots of info, Daveinthebush - thanks. These arrow setups sounded like they're working great for you and the Bowtech. Interesting thread - and good format for us newbies to learn from.

Is this the TAP program you referenced?
    http://www.thearcheryprogram.com/ind...&id=1&Itemid=1

Thanks.

That is the one.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

hi dave; as you can see i didn't get complete penetration on this small buck, as my XX78 w/ magnus 125 gr stayed in the off shoulder bone. it was deadly though.........
    happy trails.
    jh

Wink With a smile I say...

Rookies! All rookies!

Victory V-Force V-1's. Trophy Taker Shuttle-T's, 100 gr. for most purposes, but used the 125's this year for my itty-bitty black bear.
    FOB's. Accunocks.

Keep searchin' fellas, but I DONE FOUND IT!!!!

All with a smile, of course...

It's great to find that special formula that works, isn't it?
    Taylor

-[]--------->

my picture didn't show up large enough to see the penetration. this is better. anyway, the bow is pse take-down 59# with a 29" XX78 shaft custom arrow and magnus broadhead.
    happy trails.
    jh