Thread: Rc 566 gmu13

Question Rc 566 gmu13

Has anyone hunted RC 566? I thought this was all a drawing or Tier hunt area but then I saw the Registration Number today? Could if be possible that you can get a Registration tag for Caribou yet? <http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/GIS/maps/huntmaps/caribou/rc566.gif>

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

The RC566 is the Tier I hunt. So no, there is no registration hunt in unit 13. If there was a registration hunt in that area, it probably would be worse than the 827 that got taken on the taylor in a day.

Thanks for clearing that up I was not aware the RCs were also used for Tier hunts, then the regs say "New" adding more confusion

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up I was not aware the RCs were also used for Tier hunts, then the regs say "New" adding more confusion
    Confused? You really shouldn't be. This hunt is "new" each and every year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Confused? You really shouldn't be. This hunt is "new" each and every year.
    And more confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    And more confusing.
    Confusing to say the least...I had to call fish and game to get a final answer. This is the first time I have seen it listed as RC. Fish and Game Rep said it was a misprint of sorts in the regs but was still not a registration hunt.
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by mikenkel View Post
    Confusing to say the least...I had to call fish and game to get a final answer. This is the first time I have seen it listed as RC. Fish and Game Rep said it was a misprint of sorts in the regs but was still not a registration hunt.
    And....did you believe them? If so, I have a deal for you! This entire hunt process has been based on DECEPTION and GREED. A Special Interest Group wanted and got Preferential Treatment and A Given Alloted Number of Animals. What is worse, the majority of Alaskan Hunters said nothing in opposition to it. It has now become the way of the future for hunting in Alaska. Darkest day in a longggg time.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Waste

After heading into the Clearwater Control Use area with the family over the Labor Day weekend, I came across a man carting out a Caribou, Assumed he was a Tier II guy hunting the RC566 which sparked this thread. We came across him on a very good trail (ATV trail) but you have to walk in during hunting season. We were at a GPSd .86 miles from our truck parked off the Denali Highway. He was packing out three quarters which were in game bags and he warned us since we were traveling with our dog at about 1/2 mile ahead we would come across his Caribou that he had to finishing packing out and it was covered with brush just off the trail. At the time I thought nothing of it, seemed like a hunter doing the right thing. At a GPSd 1.23 miles from our truck and a stream (ankle deep) crossing later still on a good ATV trail we came across his caribou. I noted that he did not take care of the animal as I would have but again thought nothing of it as he was to return and clean things up. We spent that day, the night and much of the next day in looking for moose (saw none) with the family in a tent (great weather) then headed out the next day only to be discussed to find that he did not return to take the neck meat, back straps, tenderloins, one quarter, nor the rib meat. The caribou was in the same condition with a lot of flys and bugs added as it was near 30 hours previous that we saw it. I took a bunch of photos (none which do a great job of showing the amount of waste) but I fear I can not do much with them. Shame this individual did (or should I say didn't do) what he did. The frustrating part is he had a cart and in my opinion no excuse for not making another casual easy trail walk back in with his cart to do the right thing. Especially with the great weather and plenty of time in the day to make a second pack out.

I know this is a case of one hunter making a bad name, but this is my first Tier II hunter experience, and currently I have a poor opinion of this hunter and what he did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

At least he warned you about what you were going to encounter. Can you imagine some unsuspecting Greenie walking up on that mess? It would likely be published all over the internet. Priveleged Hunts afford priveleges beyond what we socially find to be acceptable. Point Hope, Anatuvik Pass, CWCUA, there is no difference in them. It is now the way it is and complaining about it won't change it. Folks refused to stop it before it got started and entrenched in Law, now we will live with it and lump it.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talking

And....it keeps getting better every day.Nineteen hunters were selected to provide the Corp with Caribou Meat, in the sharing event.

"Ahtna tells 19 non-Ahtna designated hunters, "Kill our animal, but NOT on our land!" NO TRESPASSING ON AHTNA LAND, but they still have to bring half of each caribou to Ahtna!"

So there ya go.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

"Ahtna tells 19 non-Ahtna designated hunters, "Kill our animal, but NOT on our land!" NO TRESPASSING ON AHTNA LAND, but they still have to bring half of each caribou to Ahtna!"
    Can you provide the source for this quote?

I know there is lots of Ahtna land head CWCU area, but I believe this chunk of land I was on was not Ahtna arguments are coming from, this is just Tier II live in small town like Delta Junction and go hunting there or at least that is my understanding of it.

Ahtna maps: http://www.ahtna-inc.com/ldm.html