Thread: Moose, this is just the start

Default Moose, this is just the start

If this seems long, i'm sorry. I have always desired to do an Alaskan hunt. Raising family, and bad finances prohibit me from paying 15k do do the guided route. I am very capable of taking care of myself in the wild. My wife tells me that I was born 200 years too late. There are plenty of people who say that Alaska is too much for us lower 49 folks. I take time in the wild with an "it is what it is" approach. Mt men didn't train for the wild, they lived with it. I'm not a true trophy hunter, but the lure of a "nice" speciman is hard to deny. I could travel to NF or ME for an Eastern species, but if a trip to AK is possible, I want to do it. This may still take a couple years to work out, but I won't try until I am confident that I have everything I need. Just as I know that there are places with high whitetail yield or a zero percent chance, I'm sure this is the same up there for moose. I will need to go with a hired bush pilot to drop me off/pick me up, or rent a boat and float. Then when and where as I may only have 10-14 days from leaving Ohio to return. Maybe this is too much to ask. I plan on getting as much as I can from AK's DNR. I'm reading other posts on here, and realize that info is general in nature, kind of like you all asking me to point you out the exact spot to go stand and wait for an Ohio whitetail. Thanks alot, and good luck everyone on a succesful season.

Default 40 mile air or Koyukuk

You could probably get a really good hunt out of 40 mile air out of Tok Alaska.
    3000-4000 and they like more than one hunter.

IF you get pulled for DM830 -Late Season Koyukuk you are looking at 6K total but you will get a big pig. Charlie Green in Galena or Pat Madros in Nulato.

the DM830 is an experience that every hunter should have once in their life.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default This is helping

Thanks man. This info at least gets my foot in the door.

Most mountain men gave up with-in a year and another group died trying and a few made it. That said give it a try but a month would be alot better and give a better feel of the place.

I think you can do it...and should. My partner and I fly to Fairbanks every September and then do a remote drop hunt (Super Cub) for moose and caribou. We provide 100% of our own gear, and hire a good pilot to take us in. All in all...probably half the cost of a guided caribou hunt in Quebec, and twice as long to hunt.

A couple recommendations:

Do a lot of searches and homework. Find several air taxis and talk to them about what you want. Find other hunters and get references about the air service they used. Don't guess. Do the work. A hunting partner is almost essential in terms of safety and work. If you kill a moose or caribou a mile from camp you'll understand. This is hard, tough work. Spend the interim time acquiring the right gear...10 days with poor equipment is an eternity or worse.

Again, you can do it. Start now. As a fellow Ohioan, you owe it to yourself to find some wilderness!

Kevin

Again thank you. I'll try not to keep this thread alive unless i have a question, but if anyone wants to add to it feel free to.

Default just my thoughts

So many great lessons to be learned on here, the first one is you should have a hunting partner if you go out into the wilderness on a drop off hunt. You may be a stud--Like I thought I was 4 years ago---but when you drop a bull moose by yourself---you will understand that it is a big mistake---unless you have a chainsaw and a 4 wheeler---which you won't because you will be remote. An average bull weighs 1200lbs. Most pilots won't take you out there and drop you off by yourself.

Find a partner

Get the gear that you will need to survive

study the area you want to hunt

find an outfitter that will take you there

get all the specifics---flat rate vs trip rate

learn how to judge 50"

like one other guy said--try to find a spot where you can hunt more than one critter and see different types of game

I am in the military and have 4 kids--so I understand how tough it is to have a dream that seems out of reach. Start saving now--if it is that big of deal to you---then when the day comes that you have enough money--you will enjoy it that much more. I hunted with Wright Air out of Fairbanks, he charged me 1K to be dropped off at one of his locations that he flies to. That was total cost---no hidden fees. I think he charges 1200 now. He is a great pilot.

With that said, it made it easier that I was stationed in Alaska, did my homework talking to others that had hunted with wright air. The price range that others quoted is correct--but that is because they are do it yourself hunts---you provide everything. Guided hunts are another story.

Can you spend all that money and come home empty handed??? A trip to alaska is priceless---it is unlike any other place in this world. A statistic given to me one tiime was that 17% of the hunters that go to the tundra in the fall harvest a moose, of that 17%, 75% use a guide. I don't think moose hunting is hard---killing them is easy---packing them out is a pain in the backside---depending upon where it dies.

I am saving for my next trip back to Alaska--just don't know what for yet. Just to be there and see the mtns is worth the price of admission for getting on an airplane and heading north!!!!!!!

Default Good luck!!

I'm heading up to AK from PA this week for the first time. Have never been more excited for anything in my life.....Hang in there, things will come together for you.

Best thing you can do if hunting Ak is get good gear, get the best rain gear and boots you can afford. If you can have a stainless or better rifle, no wood stocks. Lots of information on this site but sometimes you have to weed through the bull. BTW Go Michigan

Default the hekp keeps coming

You gave alot there TurkeyHF. I have a couple of friends in mind. The hard part is my best friend loves to hunt and hates to fly in little planes..lol. More than one species is def a good plan. My biggest concern is probably finding a reputable flying service with an idea of where good land is where most people aren't willing to go. I know that big outfitters probably pay big bucks to keep those areas for themselves, but AK is a big place. I'm sure there's room for one more hunter. p.s. akspecialus I'll even second the go Mich for the MI/OH game, but all season it's PSU all the the way.