Thread: photo backcountry trip

Default photo backcountry trip

Hi everybody
    my name is Alfredo, I'm from Italy
    I'm planning to do a solo trip to alaska next year to take some great wild life pictures, during a 6/8 days hiking trip.
    my wish is to find a loop trip and spend lot of time waiting for wildlife to shoot. I'll carry a heavy backpack, so I'm not able to hike a lot and most of all I want to spend time taking pictures.
    a 3/4 day std trip is enough
    I'm looking for a place with many wildlife and few people.
    of course I will use a tele for no-problem-with-bear picts
    I'm a fit experienced Alp hiker/climber (ok, we haven't got any bear in Italy, few there are to say the truth, but nobody met them....)
    thank you in advance
    I apologize for my english
    Alfredo

I'd do the hike from Crow Creek to Eagle River, thats what..26 miles? Lots of game.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

3 words: Denali, Denali, Denali. Can't beat the park for photos of wildlife and scenics. You can register at park headquarters to camp in the backcountry, and the bus will drop you off and pick you up. July is good; cross your fingers and hope for good weather.

Default Hiking

Buon giorno, Alfredo-

I'll second the suggestion for Denali. There's a great variety of wildlife to photograph, you can get to the park from Anchorage via bus, train or rental car, and take the bus into the park and get out and hike and take photos wherever the location looks right. You should be able to get good photos of moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep, and maybe wolves as well. If you need more details on areas to hike and get photos, send me a note at ancguy49@yahoo.com, or on a PM here. Buona fortuna!

Default main objective?

Are you looking more for a backpacking trip, or for wildlife photos? What kind of wildlife are you looking for? Denali is a wonderfull place, with a diversified animal population. But it is a huge area and they are often quite spread out, and they move from season to season. For example, the Cariboo move through in the fall, (with full grown antlers) the bears are moving down from higher hibernation area to lower grounds late spring, sheep are always high in summer, lower in winter and the wolves seemed to be the most visible during the summer, when the pups are out of the den's. Moose are most active late fall during the rut, and the antlers are awsome. (less bugs too)
    Is there a specific species you want to see? Or are you looking for a pure backcountry trip? I would suggest a fly-in location. A heavy pack might mean a basecamp with several spike camps from there, and bussing it in Denali may be to comercialized. Wrangells, Chugach, Talkeetnas, so many options, I feel sorry for you!

Thank you everybody for your kind answers

My idea is to spend a week in the backcountry, with 1 or 2 camps.
    I mean hike for a day, find a nice spot (a small lake or a river) wait for the wild life to come for a day or two then make another hike day, then another photo-camp and come back.
    In my experience, the best way to see and shoot wild life is to stay hidden and wait. This is Italy, where wild life is ever afraid of humans.
    I guess in Alaska may be a little different (my biggest concern is "how safe is to stay hidden under a net in bear country?") but this is what I plan to do.
    Obviously I need a place where nobody comes and make noise (near a trail for ex) and spend some solo night.
    My target (as you said different wild life means different habitat) are moose and bear, so a small lake could be a nice spot, but wolf or sheep will be welcome!
    But better a single "perfect bear photo" than hundred of so and so ones... If Iíll be lucky and get some nice bears pics, I can move and change habitat, other way I keep on with lake and toundra.
    My pack is about 35 lbs 15/20 km in flat lands.
    GRAZIE A TUTTI E TANTI SALUTI DAL BEL PAESE!

If you're looking for bears then you can't go wrong with Denali, they seem to be all over the place in there once you get to mile 40 or so. I've been on camping trips in there a bunch of times and I always seem to be waving my arms in the air at some stage. Last week, I almost had a wolf jump on top of me off a ridge (within 10 feet).

I've been outside the park camping a good bit too and the only two bears I saw ran off through bushes very quickly. I guess they thought my .22 was .30-06 But maybe I've just been in the wrong areas.

Alfredo,

Denali e la posto piu bello in tutto di mondo! Molti animali. Dovreste andare la.

Ciao!