Thread: Placer River... Nightmare

Default Placer River... Nightmare

My dad, my buddy, and I were out duck hunting on opening day in the swamps of placer river. We were set up by 5:30 and then moved around for a little bit and notices hunters about 240 yards away. They were flashing their lights to warn us that they were there. 250 yards isnít bad so we just stayed there after setting up 2 dozen decoys. It was still very dark so I can not tell how much closer they moved or actually were when they flashed their lights. But when light came they were 150 yards away set up on another pond. That was fine as long as we all watched our fire. After a few ducks to our and their credit, they decided to walk towards us and a duck jumps in-between us and them. The dumbass pulls up on the duck and I sat there anticipating gunfire, 75 yards away with a fool behind the trigger had a shotgun pointed right at me. BAM... I was splashed with the water from the shotgun blast it was so close. Less than 3 feet away. I yelled at them out of anger and jacked 3 slugs into my gun. After cooling my head and them having not even pointed their shotgun near us again I felt a lot better. They soon packed up their stuff and left. Not before one of the retards from their group fell in the swamp and got soaked 3 times. It was great watching that and seeing them miss a bunch of ducks.

I know I am a little bit bitter about the situation... But ****, if you are so stupid as to shoot towards someone you should not be hunting. That is just plain stupid and violates the cardinal rule. My group passed on several ducks because we would have been shooting in their general direction. Sorry if I yelled and there were kids.... But shooting at someone is not a good idea at all.... Yelling was the least I was capable of doing.

Other than that my group had a great time as we shot a good amount of mallards as we passed on gadwalls and widgeons. No pintails this time around though.

Hope everyone had a great opening day!

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    ... I yelled at them out of anger and jacked 3 slugs into my gun ...
    So you believe that putting slugs in your gun is a good action to take in this scenario? Were you really thinking about killing the guy? Because that's what this action says in a court of law.

... if you are so stupid as to shoot towards someone you should not be hunting. That is just plain stupid and violates the cardinal rule ...
    I'm sure there's something that could be said about this statement and loading up with slugs when you have some bird shot fallout on your duck blind.

Yelling at them is good, and appropriate. Loading up slugs... recipe for disaster (and a long time in prison). Just wouldn't want younger and newer hunters around here to think that is an acceptable thing to do, if you get my drift.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default having been shot

Having been shot before - the next person that shoots me, will be shot back....may not use slugs if I already had some trip B's in ole betsy - but they would definately get stomped in the mudd after getting pepperred back.

I tell you what. He was 75 yards max. If he would have hit me It would have been bad. 65 yards was probably closer to reality. This was no shot fallout.... If he would have shot at me like that again that would have been a direct threat to my life... Just like the first shot was....

I am the younger generation of hunters and have always hunted 100% legal. I just had never been shot at and when i got no response, the slugs went in the gun. No sorry, no nothing. I figured he knew he shot at me. I loaded slugs just in case he did it on purpos and was going to do it agian. If i was going to point my gun at someone I would be pulling the trigger. Nothing was threatening to them....

I never said i was going to shoot them or was thinking about it. But if the situation arose to gunfire... We were MAX 75 yards away and BB's T's and any regular old magnum load is deadly... Thats all im going to say about that.

DO NOT SHOOT AT PEOPLE... That is the main point here.

I feel your frustration. They would've had a few choice words from me as well.

I would like to say... Im not proud of loading up the slugs, but jee whiz, if someone is dumb enough to do that, they might are dumb enough to shoot at you if you yelled at them too.

Default Been there

Years back with my wife a guy comes in close and sits down. He saw us plain as day. A pintail flew between us, we held gun fire, he shoots, I get hit. I lit him up pretty good. Mad does not cover it.
    I've talked about getting shot at out at Healy Lake by guys running and gunning in boats. I shoot back. I will defend myself. I will not knowingly ever point my gun at anybody and shoot in their direction to endanger them.
    But I will defend myself and partners from violators that have no concern for the well being of others, and act in a manner that threatens me. I've reached my limit by being in shotgun patterns once too many times.
    Yes, I did talk with both AST and USFW the year this happened. Neither indicated that I was wrong.
    The operators at Healy Lake know who they are and there is no excuse for their actions at all.

When you enter an area and there are hunters already there flashing their flashlights you should consider trying another spot. What you think is 250 yards in pitch black is probably more like 100 yards once it gets light.

I doubt that the other hunters moved closer to you. It only seemed that way once it got light.

Last year I saw a guy motor his duck boat to a spot that I estimated was about 250 yards from where I was set up in pitch darkness. I flashed him with my flashlight. Turns out that the guy was a buddy and he calls me on his cell phone to ask if I thought that he was too close. Had he not been a friend I would have told him that he was probably too close. I told him to go ahead and set up.

When it got light I realized that the 250 yards I estimated was more like 125 yards - directly downwind.

I could never fire a shot. Every bird that worked me passed him. I picked up early and tried a less productive spot. Wasted day.

Next time he calls I will tell him that he already knows the answer to his question and he should try another spot.

BTW, the story in the first post is why I elected to go to work on opening day. I plan on hunting once the crowd thins out.

they definatly moved closer as I heard them walking closer. I figure they made the mistake you were talking about and thought they were further than they actually were. Ive been out many many times at night and really know what im looking at. I used to predator hunt at night all the time in the states.

Default careful

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    I am the younger generation of hunters and have always hunted 100% legal.
    Possession of slugs while waterfowl hunting? Not that I personally care in any possible way.

My advise (which is worth what you paid), is exercise great care in these situations. I have an aquaitance (not friend) that currently has charges pending for assault with a deadly weapon. His situation is entirely different, but things can escalate very quickly and go in a direction that you never intended. Many times the line we walk is way thinner than we realize.

bowhunnter89
    Were you in the swampy area by the highway and railroad tracks, had the same problem in the past, its real bad when opening day is on the weekend, almost need a hard hat with all the pellets raining down on you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    When you enter an area and there are hunters already there flashing their flashlights you should consider trying another spot. What you think is 250 yards in pitch black is probably more like 100 yards once it gets light.

I doubt that the other hunters moved closer to you. It only seemed that way once it got light.

Last year I saw a guy motor his duck boat to a spot that I estimated was about 250 yards from where I was set up in pitch darkness. I flashed him with my flashlight. Turns out that the guy was a buddy and he calls me on his cell phone to ask if I thought that he was too close. Had he not been a friend I would have told him that he was probably too close. I told him to go ahead and set up.

When it got light I realized that the 250 yards I estimated was more like 125 yards - directly downwind.

I could never fire a shot. Every bird that worked me passed him. I picked up early and tried a less productive spot. Wasted day.

Next time he calls I will tell him that he already knows the answer to his question and he should try another spot.

BTW, the story in the first post is why I elected to go to work on opening day. I plan on hunting once the crowd thins out.

Sorry

But thanks

See you out there this weekend!

In retrospect and in the future rather than preparing to defend yourself and escalating a situation, on the duckflats, you should move. Being territorial can only lead to more problems. Opening day on any close hunting area will attract all type of people. Your yelling seemed to work. In my opinion the slug thing was/is inexcusable.
    pete

Sorry

But thanks
    Stuff happens. Such is life.

Good luck this weekend.

Default Slugs?

Yeah, must be different in my neck of the woods. Around here, you can't have slugs on you when you waterfowl hunt. You get checked and have that kind of stuff here, you walk home with no shotgun and hope you don't do time along with the fine.

As everyone else said, just move next time. We've all been there before in crowded spots and bad situations. PLay it smart and just leave.

Lead shot is illegal. Not slugs. Just to clarify the legality of things. You are right things could have escilated... But I would have had the slugs in my chamber if things did.

Default Situation

Bowhunter... I feel your pain. I am currently carring around 8 steel BBs in me from a hunt that took place over 30 years ago as a teenager. I can tell you this was from 45-60 yards and I still have some stuck in my stock on my old 1187, cant feel anything in my left index finger due to the nerve severed, one behind my left eye, 5 in the chest..none of them pen and the one in my hand that can be felt is a good conversation piece..lol...years later that is...The dog took a few as well..needless to say the ol'man took me back out the next morning.

I remember my dad running over to this nutcase, taking his gun and slamming it in the levee..broke it in half...I thought I was going to die..got to the ER and the doc said since they were steel to leave them in..would do more damage taking them out...so I carry them as a reminder of how not everyone out there is as safe as me.. it could have been worse...and as far as the slugs go...well lets just say...I wish you would have gotten your moose

It is a unfortunate that this idiot did what he did.. I hope the rest of your waterfowling adventures are safe..take care and shoot straight...up that is

Default flash light

not trying to say you don't know (you were the one there) but could what you thought was the other guy shining his flashlight at you might have possibly been them just trying to get to where they were going to set up instead? When it's dark out and I see someone elses light, while set up for duacks, I always yell over to them, I mean come on the ducks aren't going to stay away all day cause of some noise or you would have to sneak out into your spot anyway.

I know that feeling of lead flying your way and the ppl doing the "throwing" seem not to care. Last year I was doing some jump shooting along a creek, I decided to go back to where my truck was parked and get a cpl of decoys to throw out in this slow, wide bend. As I am packing the rest of my bag a green Chevy with 3 ppl and husky in the back drive by me, wave, I wave back and they go on. I start heading toward where I wanna throw my dekes out and I am all of a sudden dodging bullets from those idiots targeting shooting in MY direction. I yelled as loud as I could at them and they kept shooting, so touched one of into the bank directly in front of me and yelled again. That apprently got their attention and they packed up and moved on somewhere else down stream. I packed my sh** and left as well. If I had confronted them it might have got very heated as I was beyond pissed. I didnt think about calling AST til I calmed down the next day. The rest of the season last year and so far this year I have been watching for that truck.

About 8 or so years ago I was out hunting at Goose Bay. Way out by the slough. After a while some idiot was out shooting and using drift logs out at a distance as his targets. Well, after several shots off in the distance all the sudden they seemed to be concentrating on my specific spot or worse maybe even me. One hit close by then followed by another. I jumped up and started screamimg, yelling and waving my arms. They immediately stopped.