Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ba Bam!! My new Marlin 45-70 SBL

Default Ba Bam!! My new Marlin 45-70 SBL

3 months later every gun shop lookin in Alaska I own it!!! A huge thanks to the gun manager at Wasilla Sportsman Warehouse. Let's hope the boys building my custom FX-2 scout scope at Leupold can do the same can't wait to mount it atop the FS lever rail with ghost rings standard issue on this gun just wish quick release scope rings came standard as well. I've shot the new Hornady leverevolution 325g out if it at 50yrds standing was expecting a huge recoil but was surprized nothing more than my 30-06 maybe it will be different with a bigger round 400g+ ?

Thumbs up Congratulations

What is the recoil pad like on your new Marlin? Have they replaced the hard factory pad with a limbsaver or the equivalent? If not, buy one and install it. Makes shooting any load, even bbd ( burn/blind/deafen)loads easy.Gun jumps, target falls, but you don't hurt. Happy shooting!

Congratulations!!!!

That rifle you have is going to be my next gun purchase... well at least as soon as I can squirrel away enough money without the wife knowing LOL!!!

I would love to hear your impressions when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.

Whats the price tag for th is one? I too am wanting a 45-70 next.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default 45-70 $

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Whats the price tag for th is one? I too am wanting a 45-70 next.
    I lucked out paid $879 at Sportsmans wearhouse but this gun never hit the floor I was first on the waiting list! I saw one on auction at gunbroker. Com go for $1050. Put your name on the list now! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Congratulations!!!!

That rifle you have is going to be my next gun purchase... well at least as soon as I can squirrel away enough money without the wife knowing LOL!!!

I would love to hear your impressions when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.
    Doesn't matter what wife might think if knowone has it. First put your name on a list for one at as many gun shops you can then save your pennies cause words out and there asking over $1000 duckits for this one and getting it.

Its hard to believe how much the L/A's are going up(Great Guns).I do believe for the same money I would have a Ruger #1 but thats just a recent change of taste

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

(insert big sigh...) I am happy for you but.....

for that kind of cash you could be holding onto a Browning BLR takedown in 450 Marlin! WAY more gun for the $ in my opinion, and thats coming from a guy that has a Marlin 45/70 GG that I adore, and a Winny BB450 Timber Carbine that I think is awsome, but... from a QA and QC perspective, nobody in the levergun world does better at fit and finnish that Browning. Generaly the cost diferential puts the advantage towards Marlin, but at those insane prices, I would jump at the Browning and leave the butcher shop machine work Marlin on the box store rack....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hmmm, reading my last post, it seems that I came off far more harsh than intended, and for that I am sorry. That Marlin will be a great game getter, and I would love to see some pics of it posted. enjoy it!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default My take

Alangag,

I agree browning has a better fit and finish but. Some of us, myself included are looking for a little more of a tool. I will personally use my 1895 GG for bear protection. So its gonna spend a lot of time being in crappy wet salty fishing environments. Being thrown in and out of a boat/aircraft/ATV while I work. So that is why I chose the 1895 over the Browning. Mine is a tool. I cant see dragging a nice pretty Browning through the muck. If it were only a hunting gun I personally would have a different opinion. That's just my take.

AK HOPPY Congrats... welcome to the bigbore family!! Is it ported?

Byrdhunter's comment on porting reminds me of a question I have on this gun. I have a ported 45-70 Marlin Guide gun and I purchased Cabelas calibrated scope for the Leverevolution ammo. I am finding on the ported gun I have, that the accuracy on the three scope lines for distance (100/200/300 yards) is not quite accurate. When I sight the gun right on at one hundred yards, the two hundred yard line is low and only by placing the sights half way between the 200 and 300 does it move into the target. Is this because the barrel is ported? I have heard from others that this scope works as advertised, just wondering if this is the reason.

Default Not ported

Bryd, no it's not ported. I did see online a guy who set up his 1895 GG just like the SBL with the XS scope rail. He mounted a leupold FX-2 scout scope and I noticed it was ported. Is there really a diff in recoil? If so who in AK does it? I to ordered a custom built FX-2 from leupold called today it's backed up tell? I guess I should have ordered before I even recieved the gun! I sure bought Ammo before! Try finding good 45-70 ammo right now. LOL o. And I heard someone is raffling this gun off at the fair 5bucks for 1 tic or 5 for 20$ . I could only imagin what the margin of profit is on that one. Wait! Am I sick enough to auction mine off I still have the box?

Default Porting???

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Byrdhunter's comment on porting reminds me of a question I have on this gun. I have a ported 45-70 Marlin Guide gun and I purchased Cabelas calibrated scope for the Leverevolution ammo. I am finding on the ported gun I have, that the accuracy on the three scope lines for distance (100/200/300 yards) is not quite accurate. When I sight the gun right on at one hundred yards, the two hundred yard line is low and only by placing the sights half way between the 200 and 300 does it move into the target. Is this because the barrel is ported? I have heard from others that this scope works as advertised, just wondering if this is the reason.
    Windy, I just replied to Byrd before seeing your reply. This is very interesting Leupold is building me a scope for the Hornaday leverevolution round they needed tons of info to get it right but the never asked if I ported it or was it ported they did however ask at what elevation I would be hunting most and what the avarage temp would be crazy any help?

Default Porting???

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Windy, I just replied to Byrd before seeing your reply. This is very interesting Leupold is building me a scope for the Hornaday leverevolution round they needed tons of info to get it right but the never asked if I ported it or was it ported they did however ask at what elevation I would be hunting most and what the avarage temp would be crazy any help?

I'm reminded that the best craftsman use the best tools.

Default Porting

Honestly Ive never shot a ported rifle. Ive have noticed that it helps with larger pistols. Maybe its mental but it seems to make a difference to me. Im sure others have much better info on porting Guide Guns. Wild West Gun would port it for you Im sure and they also have some nice accessories like: Trigger Happy Kit and the Bear Proof Ejector. Im not sure about the SBL but the other GGs have a tendency to jam occasionally. Or at least that what I have read. I have no RWE. Check out Wild West Guns.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/

AKHoppy regarding " I heard someone is raffling this gun off at the fair 5bucks for 1 tic or 5 for 20$ . I could only imagin what the margin of profit is on that one."
    the some one is The Alaska Moose Federation the money it to fuel snow cats for making alternate paths for the moose in winter rather than the hiways for our protection and theirs.
    and yep I bought a ticket and nope I aint a member of AMF but I'll support them on their cause

Default Regarding ports...

1 porting a barrel will indeed help considerably in regards to muzzle jump and perceived felt recoil.
    2 don’t do it! It makes hunting with ear plugs mandatory (if you don’t want rapid hearing loss due to damage that is) and the ports in the barrel are difficult to clean, especially when shooting lots of cast bullets.
    3 if you MUST have some sort of recoil reducing work done to the rifle, I suggest a removable muzzle break installed by a competent gun smith. A removable break can be…. Removed! And replaced with a knurled nut or thread protector when in the field, and also has the added benefit that you can take the break off and drop it in a jar of Hoppies for a few days to soften up lead and copper deposits from the ports making it far easier to clean.

Finally saw two SBLs yesterday. The first came over from GNG on warranty (jamming ) and the second came by for some mods which consisted of removing the XS sights, cutting the rear of the rail off and installiing our Ghost ring and fiber optic front as well as trigger kit, ejector etc.

The SBL big loop is smaller than ours and the owner bought one of ours instead as he has big mitts.

Porting helps considerably in controlling jump and felt recoil. It is not so much louder as it redirects some portion of the sound waves upward so that it appears louder.

Muzzle brakes are ineffective in GGs becasue of the bore diameter and low velocity. One could be constructed, but it would be like hanging a beer can off the end of your gun. Porting represents the best compromise for that platform

AK Hoppy, I might suggest you check out this sight.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php

You'll find a wealth of info & satisfied SBL owners there.

For what it's worth, my GG in 450 has never had a hickup. It carries XS ghostring sights (with the wings on the rear), A DRC large loop lever (smaller than some others but PLENTY big for normal hands with gloves), DRC trigger, & WW ejector. I also have a DRC follower but haven't installed it yet. Oh yeah, has an XS lever scout mount that currently holds a 30mm Ultra Dot 4 red dot sight but will hopefully be holding a Burris scout scope by this time next week.

I LOVE my GG. Mine is blue & walnut (like a lever gun should be). I know it's a bit higher maintanance but I love the look. Some day it will have a rust proof matte type coating applied.
    By the way, I wouldn't trade it for a brand new BLR with the scope of my choice. Even if they threw in a steak dinner at Club Paris!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast