Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To the CJ-5 at Mt. Baldy

Default To the CJ-5 at Mt. Baldy

It's not often I find another hunter / 4x4 enthusiast that I don't like. But you, who couldn't even spare 5 minutes to help pull our truck 5 feet out of a rut, I can say I hope someone repays you the same favor someday.

Ladies and Gent's, if we already don't have every liberal greenie and environmental conservationalist, and global warming nutjob screaming at us hunters and 4x4 enthusiasts, you would think we could at least stick together and help each other out.

I know this is Alaska, but I come from all over the US, and when I find someone stuck I act like a man and give at least a few minutes to try to help them out. That's what guys do. You, in your CJ yesterday acted like some snobby yuppie from LA that thinks their crap don't stink.

I assure you, one day someone will return you the favor you gave us, remember it. It will suck.

Cool

Sorry to hear about your dilema. Gotta admit I'd think long and hard before pulling out a stuck vehicle with a bunch of PETA or O'bama stickers on it. I'd make sure everybody was ok, but after that they might be on their own. Might not tho. At least I'd take a look and if I decided to leave, I'd tell them why.

I felt bad one time, found a guy stuck in the ditch. I had a chain in the toolbox, so I pulled over to help, but danged if I didn't forget the key to the toolbox I just had to tell myself it's the thought that counts. But he wasn't there on my way back a few hours later, so he made it out somehow.

Nimrod was having boat problems on the Sag about a week back and was muscling his boat around on his own. Another boat with 5 guys drove right on by as if he wasn't there. He wasn't too thrilled about other hunters ignoring those that need help. If they would have given him a couple minutes of their time with the extra bodies, it wouldn't have taken him over an hour to do it on his own.

Seems like the old fashioned courtesy is slowly going away. They say that Karma is a ***** though.

That's the funny thing about "liberal greenies", most of us in Alaska that are considered liberal greenies hunt and fish as much, if not more, than most of the conservatives who want Pebble. I will always pull someone out (if I can) unless they are real jerks or they start bashing liberals.

If I'm ever referred to as a liberal greenie by someone that I'm hooking up to, I'll unhook and toss them the shovel that I always keep in the truck.

Dig, baby, dig!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Nimrod was having boat problems on the Sag about a week back and was muscling his boat around on his own. Another boat with 5 guys drove right on by as if he wasn't there. He wasn't too thrilled about other hunters ignoring those that need help. If they would have given him a couple minutes of their time with the extra bodies, it wouldn't have taken him over an hour to do it on his own.

Seems like the old fashioned courtesy is slowly going away. They say that Karma is a ***** though.

Karma is a *****, You got that right. You also brought up another point, if we keep ignoring and not helping people that are trying to get into the sports we love, pretty soon less and less people are gonna join.

Seriously, who want's to join a bunch of snobby, self-righteous ****'s???

What was worse about yesterday was that we had been down that trail at least 10 times this past 30 days alone, first time stuck, wasn't even major.

A little courtesy goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    That's the funny thing about "liberal greenies", most of us in Alaska that are considered liberal greenies hunt and fish as much, if not more, than most of the conservatives who want Pebble. I will always pull someone out (if I can) unless they are real jerks or they start bashing liberals.

If I'm ever referred to as a liberal greenie by someone that I'm hooking up to, I'll unhook and toss them the shovel that I always keep in the truck.

Dig, baby, dig!

For the sake of offending the wrong people, I refer to liberal greenies as those misguided, diluted individuals that spray paint women's fur coats, burn down car lots because they sell SUV's, try to sell you on some unproven agenda because their all knowing professor told them so, people that think God gave us animals to pet them not eat them. Those are the liberal, nutjob greenies I refer to.

If you are the type of greenie that treads lightly where they roam. Eat's what they kill. And uses some common sense and fairness in the decisions they make, well may I welcome you to the club.

Seperate event but all the same....

Aug. 22nd I was out in Eureka, south side. On the way back we encountered a few folks having atv problems, 1 ranger and 2 atv's. Said the Ranger made a "clabunk, clawunk wap wap wap" First thought- belt - and had been in Hi-Range all day 10+ miles of swamp divin, hill climbin, water crossin..the works.

So one of the guys in our crew tore the side of the Ranger apart, sure enough..belt was smoked and wrapped around the secondary. He had no tools, no belt, no nothin. Anywho, we had a guy with an 08 and had a spare belt and case seal. Had this guy rollin in no time - but not after some gentle ribbing..."Low Range, Low Range, Low Range" and to get himself some tools and spare belt.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Roach,
    Were you prepared for the possibility of getting stuck--come-along, handyman jack, chains/straps etc, shovel or did you venture offroad in Alaska at the mercy of chance and dependant on the generosity of others?

If the answer is no then you (hopefully) learned an important lesson about carrying the gear to handle the more common "what-if's"

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Roach,
    Were you prepared for the possibility of getting stuck--come-along, handyman jack, chains/straps etc, shovel or did you venture offroad in Alaska at the mercy of chance and dependant on the generosity of others?

If the answer is no then you (hopefully) learned an important lesson about carrying the gear to handle the more common "what-if's"

Just sayin'

Chain - Check
    Straps - Check
    2x4's - Check
    Shovel - Kinda - It worked g'nuf

Irrigation Ingenuity - Double Check
    Use of found ditched tires - Check
    2nd Vehicle - <crickets chirping>
    -KookaRocha
    A gun in the hand is better than two in the gun store!

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I refer to liberal greenies as those misguided, diluted individuals that spray paint women's fur coats, burn down car lots because they sell SUV's, try to sell you on some unproven agenda because their all knowing professor told them so, people that think God gave us animals to pet them not eat them. Those are the liberal, nutjob greenies I refer to.
    Just an FYI, lumping all liberal greenies into a category with the most extreme is like lumping Christians into the Fred Phelps category or hunters into the category with big light night poachers. Do you want to be considered a poacher and trophy hunter who doesn't eat anything that's not from a grocery store? I don't either.

Some of us do not like that approach.

I'm off to grill some fresh moose and silvers. This liberal greenie is hungry.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    Chain - Check
    Straps - Check
    2x4's - Check
    Shovel - Kinda - It worked g'nuf

Irrigation Ingenuity - Double Check
    Use of found ditched tires - Check
    2nd Vehicle - <crickets chirping>
    By no means am I trying to nit-pick, passer's by aren't obligated to help, but it is the right thing to do, but venturing on most trails in that area in a truck - you will need a winch..hands down. Baldy is a steep nasty trail from the Wasilla side, and muddier than hell on the willow side. Guaranteed to get stuck.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It's unwritten law as far as I'm concerned. You never leave a man stranded in the woods. You always offer help. It doesnt matter what type of person they are. Their social or political beliefs have nothing to do with your offered humanity and assistance to the situation. You never steal from a man in the woods, and if you use someone's belongings.....you leave a little note as to who you are and why you used it. I won't ever accept money.....but if there is beer involved in the situation.....or some home cooked meal.....I won't say no (had to "add" that law)

Can we drop the political discussion from this thread, fellas? Thanks.

You were in a Dodge?

No wonder the CJ didn't stop.

It's simply un-Alaskan not to stop and help. At the very least stop and ask if the person needs help, if they say they can handle it, then give em a wave and head down the road, or trail.

That selfish un-Alaskan attitude pervades all groups, and the selfless ready to help attitude pervades all groups.

And the true Alaskan would help out the guy that didn't help you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    You were in a Dodge?

No wonder the CJ didn't stop.
    Yeah...there's no way to get an all-powerful Dodge out of the ditch except under it's own motivation...the CJ driver must have known this and therefore didn't stop for fear that his lesser vehicle would just crap-out merely from it's proximity to the great Dodge!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Yeah...there's no way to get an all-powerful Dodge out of the ditch except under it's own motivation...the CJ driver must have known this and therefore didn't stop for fear that his lesser vehicle would just crap-out merely from it's proximity to the great Dodge!
    That's why a Chrysler "Jeep" would have stopped and the CJ didn't.

quit whinning, that was me! You wanted me to break my truck pulling your FULL SIZED truck out, you've got to be kidding. You got out before I came down the hill if you'd have still been there I'd givin you a ride, or let you use my phone to call happy hooker
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I guess it kinda depends on where your stuck, too. If I'm in low range just barely makin it and by stopping I'm stuck, too...then I'd be obliged to keep on going....no sense 2 people stuck. I'd come back and check anyway when the going got better. At least offer to take someone down to get help or offer to call for help when I got out.

I gotta Dodge too, and I'm sure if I'm up to my bumpers in mud, a CJ ain't gonna do much but lend moral support unless he can hook us both up and winch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast