Thread: Nabesna Sheep

Wink Nabesna Sheep

I am leaving friday to try this sheep hunting thing again.We are heading up to Nabesna and i havent been back in there since 04.We are planning on getting our atv permits and heading up trail creek and i was just wondering if anyone has had any luck in that neck of the woods or had seen anything you might want to share.PM me if its a secret.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States

Default Lots of pressure

I was in there a few years ago. Lots of sublegal sheep. Lots of hunters. I think everything easy to get to gets shot on opening day. You'll have to hike back a ways to get away from it all.

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that there were trucks and trailers lined up for a few hundred yards on opening day.

Good luck.

I don't think there's anything secret about Nabesna. You MAY find a legal ram there, but it is heavily hunted. Last time I was up Trail Creek, the ATV trail ended a few miles from true "sheep country," or I should say that's as far as I was willing to drive it since I was solo. It got pretty rough after that. To be honest, I've never seen a ram up Trail Creek specifically. I did see one that was at least close to legal a few miles farther down, but couldn't get to him. I would keep your options open and maybe check out some of the other trails if Trail Creek doesn't pan out. And don't count on driving right to a ram. The more you use the boot leather, the better your chances will be.

Either way it should be a great trip. Nabesna is really pretty country. Good luck! Try to take some pictures also, because every time I've been there, I forgot the camera.