Thread: Help me ID.......

Default Help me ID.......

Found this rifle over here, and its a little odd to find a bolt gun that ISNT an enfield. It looks like a sporterized 03 but I'm not sure. There is one marking on the top left of the reciever and I cant tell of it is supposed to be 7062 or 7.62- the . looks like a small zero. If it is an old springfield it would make sense. it is a little rough but i am in the process of cleaning it up, and seems mechanically pretty sound, and the trigger is unbeleiveably nice- light and crisp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More pics........

A couple more pics......

Default And 2 more......

And 2 more........

Default 98 Mauser

Some sporterized 1898 Mauser of some sort - hard to tell who did it or when or the origin of the military mauser it is based on.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Ditto on that

Definitely a Model 98 Mauser sporter.

Certainly a Mauser 98 design, but the trigger guard makes me question if it's actually a Mauser action. I've never seen one with that much metal on the front side. Maybe a Russian copy (VZ/CZ?) from Bulgaria, Romania or Checkoslovakia?

From the bottom metal it looks to me like it could be one of the cheaper grade Parker Hale sporters. We have one at the shop that was built by them on a Spainish mauser with the same floorplate release and same shape of forged bolt handle, the bbl contour is also pretty close to the same. Dont know for sure but I do know that spain chambered some rifles for the 7.62 largo which is some sort of downloaded 308 if I aint mistaken and I believe they were stamped with 7.62 on the front ring.

Definitely a mauser action but couldnt guarantee from the pics if its a 98 or not. Check to see if there a three locking lugs on the bolt , that would be a good indication that it is a 98.

Default A few thoughts...

The bolt sleeve is 98 Mauser. The thumb cut is military. The stock is one of several that have been offered over the decades pre-inlet, pre-finished/checkered for sporter conversions of these rifles. The barrel appears to be military, but whether it's original or not is a guess. Some of those 98's were marked on the receiver, an 8X57 would be marked 7.92, .30 caliber would be 7.62, and could be .308 Winchester, 7.62X51 NATO, or even .30-06, but if it's marked on the receiver, wouldn't necessarily indicate what the barrel actually is chambered to, and definitely needs to be hauled to a 'smith to figure out what it is.
    It's not unusual to find these without markings, but with SCADS of folks around the world who made the things, and lack of good quality control at most of 'em, you really, really need to have it checked out for headspace, cracks, corrosion damage, etc. for a clean bill of health.