Thread: Do You Like NEOS River Trekkers?

Default Do You Like NEOS River Trekkers?

I have done a few searches here and found some basic info on the NEOS overboot. I'm seriously considering a pair of these right now. The website says they weigh in at 5 POUNDS...but I suspect they are less. Anyone know? I'd value any opinions regarding their fit, durability and utility. Mine would be used on a 10 day fly-in moose hunt...no excess gear allowed.

Obliged,

Kevin

I have a pair of Neos Trekkers and a pair of Barney's Sourdough Slippers. Both are made by Neos but the Sourdough Slippers are made with heavier-duty fabric. In my case the Trekkers are fitted to casual shoes and the Slippers to my hunting boots. Weight is similar between the two. When expecting to do most of my hunting on solid ground with the expectation of occasional water contact I think these products are perfect. They are appropriate for occasional and temporary deployment, not for hip boot substitutes. Given the choice for a hunt I'd pick the Sourdough Slippers.

I bought a pair based on this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=43852

I love the way they fit and how they feel walking around, but I won't get a chance to use them until my BB hunt starting in 2.5 weeks.

Depending on what you are doing... These are not as sturdy, but they are only 1lb, seem perfect for short term wear like crossing streams.
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Produ...TOKEN=24970291

Default sourdough slippers

I used mine 2 years ago while in Kodiak on a brown bear hunt. I found that wearing my Scarpa Liskamm boot w/ the sourdough slipper over-boot made for a fantastic set up. They also served well when we found ourselves strapped to snow shoes.

They are too heavy for packing into sheep country but I love them for just about anything else...!

And oh yea the sourdough slipper is just a beef'd up river trekker..

No, I don't. Because they don't come in a large enough size to accommodate a sz13 boot.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My size 13 Lowa extreme hunters fit into my Sourdough Slippers just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    My size 13 Lowa extreme hunters fit into my Sourdough Slippers just fine.
    I just picked up a pair for my wife and I to try out moose hunting the next few days. I wear a size 10.5 in Lowa sheephunters and they fit great in an XL size. My buddy wears a size 13 in Kenetreks and the XXL worked for him. And my lil wife got the mediums has she sports a whopping size 6 in wmns.

Default size 13

I wear a size 13 as well... My Scarpa's fit just fine... I don't recall if my sourdough slippers are XL or XXL but they fit over my boots just fine..

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    I have done a few searches here and found some basic info on the NEOS overboot. I'm seriously considering a pair of these right now. The website says they weigh in at 5 POUNDS...but I suspect they are less. Anyone know? I'd value any opinions regarding their fit, durability and utility. Mine would be used on a 10 day fly-in moose hunt...no excess gear allowed.

Obliged,

Kevin
    I have no interest in them becuase they weigh only a few ounces less than a good solid pair of lacrosse insulated airbob soled hippers. I'd rather wear the hippers and switch to the boots stowed in or on the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I have a pair of Neos Trekkers and a pair of Barney's Sourdough Slippers. Both are made by Neos but the Sourdough Slippers are made with heavier-duty fabric. In my case the Trekkers are fitted to casual shoes and the Slippers to my hunting boots. Weight is similar between the two. When expecting to do most of my hunting on solid ground with the expectation of occasional water contact I think these products are perfect. They are appropriate for occasional and temporary deployment, not for hip boot substitutes. Given the choice for a hunt I'd pick the Sourdough Slippers.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Brett

I'm on my second pair. Love 'em to death. My first pair met their demise at the slip of a chainsaw (whew)

My biggest complaint is that they're incredibly noisy for stalking. I actually did have a caribou mesmerized by the sound of me squiff squiiffing my way towards him in my Neos. He couldn't figure out what the heck I was. He's in the freezer now.

On top of everything, they make a great bucket for water transportation. Fill each one a ways, sling 'em over your shoulder and hump five gallons back to camp super easy. They dry very quickly.